Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Fair or Foul: Sheila Gaff Knocks Out Jennifer Maia in 10 Seconds

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Mar 18, 2012 - Sheila Gaff and Jennifer Maia met on Friday at Cage Warriors Fight Night 4 to kick off the promotion's four-woman, 125-pound tournament. What ensued was ten seconds of furious stand-up action, followed by one of the more vicious KO's in recent women's MMA history.

For the 22-year-old Gaff, the win shoots her name into the tournament finals. However, much debate has arisen regarding the nature of the knockout. Instead of touching gloves, Gaff mobbed Maia with a flurry of punches and knees. While Maia was able to regroup during the surprising exchange, the shots that started the beginning of the end were still relatively unexpected.

So what do you think, readers? Should Maia have been protecting herself at all times? Was Gaff's knockout fair or foul? Check out the damage after the jump and let us know what you think in the comments below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gY3EaLP2E-o
OK, my two cents: cheap shot, but not illegal. Those weren't the punches that hurt her. Gaff may be about as classless as it comes, but she's not a cheater.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
From MMAFighting.com:

OK, my two cents: cheap shot, but not illegal. Those weren't the punches that hurt her. Gaff may be about as classless as it comes, but she's not a cheater.
Cheap shot for sure. Dang. I think what you said is right on the money.

Well, I pretty much cringe when I watch women fight anyway...

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 03-20-2012, 10:08 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

At the start of the fight, if a fighter puts a glove out to touch hands and you come over the top like that then I definitely think it's a total cheap shot. Not illegal, but definitely cheap.

However, I remember a few months back when Mayweather KO'd Victor Ortiz and people were crying foul. The difference in that situation was it wasn't the start of the fight, and Ortiz had just headbutted Floyd in an attempt to break his nose (which Ortiz admitted). Immediately after the headbutt, Ortiz was acting apologetic and touched gloves with Floyd. Then when the Ref started the fight again Ortiz put his hand out a second time and Floyd just came straight down the pipe and knocked him out. I defended Floyd then, and I still defend him today. In the end, this is the hurt business not the hugs and kisses business, and if you take a cheap shot at me you better expect to get one coming back. Ask Evander Holyfield how throwing all those headbutts against Tyson worked out for his ear that Tyson decided to bite off.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:48 AM

It was a cheap shot and she obviously planned to do it. I hope her next opponent knocks her block off!

And, if your opponent doesn't have his or her hand out to touch when they take the first step towards you, get your hands up!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
However, I remember a few months back when Mayweather KO'd Victor Ortiz and people were crying foul. The difference in that situation was it wasn't the start of the fight, and Ortiz had just headbutted Floyd in an attempt to break his nose (which Ortiz admitted). Immediately after the headbutt, Ortiz was acting apologetic and touched gloves with Floyd. Then when the Ref started the fight again Ortiz put his hand out a second time and Floyd just came straight down the pipe and knocked him out. I defended Floyd then, and I still defend him today. In the end, this is the hurt business not the hugs and kisses business, and if you take a cheap shot at me you better expect to get one coming back. Ask Evander Holyfield how throwing all those headbutts against Tyson worked out for his ear that Tyson decided to bite off.
Poor Ortiz, he just wanted to hug it out.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:37 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Poor Ortiz, he just wanted to hug it out.
He got what he had coming to him, and after he went on record saying he wanted to intentionally hurt Floyd I felt even worse about it. Floyd should have spit on him while he was laying on the canvas just to prove a point.

EDIT: damn, I sound mean.......still would've spit on him...dude is lame lol

Last edited by J.B.; 03-21-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
He got what he had coming to him, and after he went on record saying he wanted to intentionally hurt Floyd I felt even worse about it. Floyd should have spit on him while he was laying on the canvas just to prove a point.

EDIT: damn, I sound mean.......still would've spit on him...dude is lame lol
Maybe we should start a "meanies" club! I thought I was mean saying I wanted Gaff's next opponent to knock her block off. I had meaner thoughts, but I left it at that.

We need some "gentlemen" boxing rules: No spitting, no hugging, and definitely no biting off of body parts!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Maybe we should start a "meanies" club! I thought I was mean saying I wanted Gaff's next opponent to knock her block off. I had meaner thoughts, but I left it at that.

We need some "gentlemen" boxing rules: No spitting, no hugging, and definitely no biting off of body parts!
I love the idea. I wanna be the one to spit on all the meanies!

I also love how you suggest boxing is a "gentlemens sport". May I suggest Mike Tyson as our representative? I promise he will not bite any more body parts off, unless they look delicious....

EDIT: Just to be clear, the burden of deliciousness lies with the limb bearer (meaning if you dont want your limb eaten, don't make it look so enticing).

Last edited by J.B.; 03-21-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:16 PM

i think all mid fight fist bumps and crap ought to be banned, the ref makes you touch gloves at the center of the ring and commands you to go back to your corner and come out fighting. there is a reason it is done that way, to prevent these type of controversies.

if i were a fighter i would want to come out swinging, and would make sure all my oppponents knew that i wasn't going to bump gloves, no hard feelings, but i want to fight also it would prevent anybody from getting a chance to cheap shot me, and that alone would be enough reason to refuse to ever bump gloves mid fight
Old 03-21-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
At the start of the fight, if a fighter puts a glove out to touch hands and you come over the top like that then I definitely think it's a total cheap shot. Not illegal, but definitely cheap.

I agree with both points

^this is what perfection looks like