Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2012, 11:49 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
LOL, Floyd made himself into the bad boy image and it's done well for him financially, but it does create other problems; of course, some of the stuff he does, it's like he's either dumb, bored, having fun, or REALLY trying to portray the bad boy image, who knows?

As for Filipinos, there are a lot of them who are jealous of Pac's success. To me, it's really funny that he is the richest person in the Filipino Congress considering he's just a boxer.

In the case of both guys, like Biggie, P. Diddy, and Ma$e say...Mo' Money, Mo' Problems.
The "bad guy image" is one thing, but that doesn't mean reporters like Martin Rogers or Michael Marley should write hit pieces that are misleading and often leave details out. Sure, Floyd doesn't mind wearing the black hat, and it has been one of the primary reasons for his popularity since making the transition from "Pretty Boy" to "Money". However, there is a difference between stating an opinion and blatantly misleading readers or listeners when you are representing a "news" organization.

Now, you will probably hate me for saying this, but I'm gonna say it and then I will explain why it's true.... Manny Pacquiao is only as popular as he is in America because of Floyd Mayweather.

Having Floyd around, and all the talk about them fighting, has made it easy for casual fans to blindly embrace Manny simply out of disdain for Mayweather. It's also made it easy for hot-dog media guys to prop Manny up simply by continuing to feed the masses the anti-Floyd nonsense that they love so much. Of course, it goes both ways and Floyd has benefited from Manny too, but not nearly as much as Manny has gained from having Floyd. Even before the fight with De La Hoya, Floyd was making a name for himself and people were taking notice. That bad-guy image is what gets people's attention, just ask Chael Sonnen. If Floyd never had Manny, it would have probably just been another guy that filled Pac's place as "the guy people want to see beat Floyd". Even if nobody actually filled that role, Floyd would still be a popular figure just because of how polarizing he is as an individual and because of how uniquely talented he is as a boxer. There is also that giant goose-egg in his loss column, and even though hardcore boxing fans are more analytical when it comes to records, a lot of casual fans hold that in high regard. To this day people still talk about Rocky Marciano for that very reason.

Now, I'm not trying to take anything away from Pacquiao's accomplishments as a boxer, not at all. Manny is definitely one of the all time greats. However, I don't think he would have nearly as many fans in America as he does today without this saga with Mayweather. Keep in mind, I'm only saying here in America. I realize how popular he is in the Philippines, but I don't think what he's done over the last 3-5 years would have resonated with American fans as much if there wasn't a Floyd Mayweather, or more importantly any American in general, out there being "the bad guy" who has never lost a fight.