Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 03-14-2012, 02:09 AM
Administrator

Default Matt Hughes: Raw. Determined. Real.

This is an article written by Sharon Patterson, a National Marketing Director who interviewed Matt at the Arnold Classic. I'm not sure if this article (or the interview itself) is posted anywhere else right now:

Quote:
Matt Hughes: Raw. Determined. Real.
Meeting the 9-Time UFC Welterweight World Champion off the Mat...

It started with the 46th fight, an article, and an idea. That idea was one of many challenges I made to myself. I had to meet the man who is seemingly unbeatable by so many. Like most UFC fans, you’ve watched Matt Hughes, the legendary Welterweight Champion in the octagon always throwing more jabs, uppercuts, left hooks and kicks than he takes. It’s a survivor’s sport, carnal in every way... the raw definition of exciting. As Matt himself puts it, “There are fans who watch the sport for the danger of the unexpected, and those who watch it for technique.” For fans of Matt Hughes, he delivers both.

So back seven months ago my challenge was set forth into motion... how do I meet this person, how does he tick? One of the first things I learned about Matt is he’s one to ask more questions about others than talk about himself. (I’ve interviewed hundreds of people in my life and he’s the only one I’ve met who did not). I was forced to tap into my mind reading and body language abilities.

First impressions like Matt’s can be intimidating for most, however spending a weekend with him at the Arnold was surprisingly fun and relaxing. His countless fans lined up eager to see the Hall of Fame fighter and each surprised to discover such a grounded person. Matt is your friend, your neighbor, your college hangout, your brother. Nine UFC Welterweight championships have not changed him. He’s that normal guy raised on a farm in rural Illinois, humble and down to earth... who for a moment you almost forget he’s also an intense and relentless fighter. Being a Christian man, Matt regularly posts bible verses on his blogs. A recent post says a lot about his mindset, “Lazy people want much but get little, but those who work hard will prosper.” (Proverbs 13:4)

Incredible genetics, drive and determination – this is the formula behind Matt’s record. Underlying it all is a highly intelligent guy with unsurpassed instincts and training combined with intensely analytical, rapid-fire thinking. What you may not know is that Matt is a clean and natural athlete, built strong the old fashioned way with hard work and an occasional protein shake, (his favorite flavor is cookies and cream).

So you may ask, is Matt Hughes retiring? That decision remains to be made as Matt continues to train and consider his options. But if you ask me, there’s more to come with Matt and we can look forward to some of the most exciting ultimate fighting moments of all time.

Until Matt’s return, be sure to tune into his Emmy-winning show Trophy Hunters on the Outdoor Channel.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:12 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Awesome. Spot on analysis.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Hailey's Dad

I saw the interview happening at the Arnold. He was sitting in the 2nd floor lounge and I noticed a lady interviewing him. I was about to go up and talk to him until I realized he was doing an interview. Cool stuff.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:48 PM

Great article!

[
Old 03-20-2012, 07:23 PM

Great write up!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:32 AM

"carnal"

What a super article, I'm so glad Matt is getting his due. I think she pretty much nailed it - why we are all his die-hard fans.

I also look forward to his next fight!!!

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
"carnal"

What a super article, I'm so glad Matt is getting his due. I think she pretty much nailed it - why we are all his die-hard fans.

I also look forward to his next fight!!!
i second that!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:51 AM

I also love Cookies & Cream!!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:12 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt's#1Fan...Dr.Tonya View Post
I also love Cookies & Cream!!!!
I don't know what this means...
Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Hailey's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I don't know what this means...
From the article: "What you may not know is that Matt is a clean and natural athlete, built strong the old fashioned way with hard work and an occasional protein shake, (his favorite flavor is cookies and cream). "