Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Seriously? I thought he was named after our Mike... I have no clue who that other guy is.
No...if it was named after our mike...I might have well as called the bird "boobies"

The guy in the photo is that silverback fighter from the IFL, he has an unpronounceable...and I mean IMPOSSIBLE surname, so I took the liberty of using his Christian name, otherwise it just wouldnt have worked.

I was going to meet him this month when the plans for American Dreams Tour Three were expansive enough to include nigh on the entire southern states of the US....but when that started to shrink because of financial pressures (namely I had to self fund rather then use inheritance money) He obviously couldnt make New York

Then when the Jennyfields Settlement blew up four months ago, I cancelled the tour completely. I was due to be in the United States...well...NOW...but we decided to go for Markenfield instead. So instead of Las Vegas/New York/and the guy in the photograph above...I have a new house

We could re-arrange America...but we couldnt re-arrange getting this house.

Course now his namesake went as far as drowning himself in his own drinking water because he couldnt cope with freedom of an aviary, I dont know how Mike will react...I DO know his Wife will be gutted, coz she loves birds and knows heaps about them that is a very long story
Old 03-12-2012, 02:32 AM
7X Prediction Champ !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
No...if it was named after our mike...I might have well as called the bird "boobies"
no JOKE. Our Mike is one of a kind
Old 03-12-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:

The guy in the photo is that silverback fighter from the IFL, he has an unpronounceable...and I mean IMPOSSIBLE surname, so I took the liberty of using his Christian name, otherwise it just wouldnt have worked.
What is his surname and what southern state is Mike from?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:46 AM

That *is* a very nice aviary and it's great that your Nan is so supportive with the project.

But isn't it too cold to have the birds outside? Aren't they indoor birds? I'm no expert though, I've never had birds...

After I get younger plants from the nursery I have to acclimatize them in the garage before I can put them out this time of year (and some have to stay in the garage every winter, even though they're several years old). At least, that's how it works with rhododendrons, lol.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 03-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
What is his surname and what southern state is Mike from?
His name is Mike Ciesnolevicz for obvious reasons I was not about to call a society finch that surname

I dont know if hes from a southern state or not...all I know is I was due to meet him in Nevada...that doesnt mean he's native to that state, particularly considering his occupation, he probably just moved their for business purposes, same as he probably did when he was at MFS....infact I'm pretty sure he spends lots of time in canada also for some reason...We couldnt meet on ADT2 because he was in Canada for the whole time I was in the US
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
That *is* a very nice aviary and it's great that your Nan is so supportive with the project.

But isn't it too cold to have the birds outside? Aren't they indoor birds? I'm no expert though, I've never had birds...

After I get younger plants from the nursery I have to acclimatize them in the garage before I can put them out this time of year (and some have to stay in the garage every winter, even though they're several years old). At least, that's how it works with rhododendrons, lol.
These birds can be outdoor or indoor...the problem with my birds is they have been indoor and are now making the change to outdoor. The next set of birds may do better because they will go right into the aviary rather then spending a few years indoors first

On the whole finches and budgies should be able to cope with the outdoors, just like the tits, finches, starlings, sparrows, blackbirds that exist in the absolute wild
Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
These birds can be outdoor or indoor...the problem with my birds is they have been indoor and are now making the change to outdoor. The next set of birds may do better because they will go right into the aviary rather then spending a few years indoors first

On the whole finches and budgies should be able to cope with the outdoors, just like the tits, finches, starlings, sparrows, blackbirds that exist in the absolute wild
Oh, okay, thanks. I thought they were"tropical", that's why I was confused. That is a very nice set-up you have made for them and it also looks very escape-proof (with the fine mesh and the double entry doors). Cool!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Oh, okay, thanks. I thought they were"tropical", that's why I was confused. That is a very nice set-up you have made for them and it also looks very escape-proof (with the fine mesh and the double entry doors). Cool!
Tropical...no...but they could be classed as desert birds. almost all the birds you can buy in England like Finches, Budgies, etc are native to Australia. So they are used to VERY hot weather, but also very arid weather and should have the genetic capability to cope with the sort of cold you find in a desert at night.

Obviously, these birds are all born in captivity, since the bird flue pandemic its been illegal to import finches...I didnt know that until this morning. So we are reliant obviously on captivity born birds that have never experienced the conditions of Australia...sooo we are working off genetics, rather then experience...and of course my birds are acclimatized to living indoors...so they will need to get used to harsher conditions outside.

But generally love birds, fire finches, Zebra Finches, Society finches, Star finches, Budgies and canaries...should all be alright in aviaries...gouldian finches there is some debate over because they scare to easy...I mean, my friend lost all hers, that were kept in doors...over fireworks night...no joke...the fireworks from outside scared them so much they all died

When you have a lot of birds, you oughta get some ground birds to clear the shyte up...like Quail....I desperatly want Quail but there is a bloody shortage of those at present also!

Java Sparrows...I dont know if you can keep those in Aviaries...I suppose so...but they might be really expensive. My Friend, unbelievably has THREE Java Sparrows, and they look like they might be breeding...she says that if they do, I can take some of the offspring...they live well with finches, and they are absolutely gorgeous...they look like miniature black and white puffins, thats the only way to describe them, and hers are absolutely beautiful...I couldnt believe it when I saw them...she told me that a friend of hers had become ill, couldnt take them and given them away, she said they were "some kind of finch" I looked into the cage and saw three vibrant Java Sparrows...I said "OMG I think you have Java Sparrows!!"...and when I got home the first thing I did was to check on google images...and sure enough, they are unmistakable...I saw one in the pet shop when I first bought Jens

If they breed...I will have been entrusted with something terribly precious
Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

according to google Java Sparrows are supposed to be "hardy" but...can anything native to a pacific island really be that hardy?

No offence to any polynesians we may have on these boards
Old 03-13-2012, 12:53 AM

That is all really interesting! I told you I didn't know anything about birds (although I love the outdoor birds of the PNW and try to keep food and water out for them). I looked up the Java Sparrow, it's just gorgeous. Actually, it reminds me of a miniature puffin only more ornate. I hope you can get one!!!

Of course, after reading your comment about Polynesians I spent the next 10 minutes looking at the Maori rugby team's hakas.