Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Yeah, but he's a little more vocal when he's got a fight lined up. I don't like the guy, but he's smart and ANY publicity for him leading up to a fight is a big positive for him.

It was just dumb the way he justified it as supporting black athletes, when it was really bashing Lin. I still think he lost his ass betting on the Lakers when the Knicks came to town
Lol, you could be right about losing a bet, nobody saw that coming. Still, I didnt see it as bashing Lin but rather the media. He said Lin was a good player, but that the hype was due to him being Asian. Its the media who creates the hype, and fact of the matter is that Lin being Asian does add to the hype. Its not the ONLY reason, but its definitely a factor.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Mayweathers camps response to Dana
“He needs to shut the [expletive] up and mind his own business, stay in his own lane and keep on taking advantage of the UFC fighters, while underpaying them. If he keeps on running his mouth, we may decide to give a free seminar to all of the UFC fighters on how the pay-per-view revenue should be distributed. This is typical Dana, who is always prone to ignorant outbursts. He should be the last person to try to judge someone else.”
Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather’s manager took no time in firing back at Dana White for his acquisitions of Floyd being a racist. (Via Yahoo Sports!)
Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Lol, you could be right about losing a bet, nobody saw that coming. Still, I didnt see it as bashing Lin but rather the media. He said Lin was a good player, but that the hype was due to him being Asian. Its the media who creates the hype, and fact of the matter is that Lin being Asian does add to the hype. Its not the ONLY reason, but its definitely a factor.
Yeah, and I see that side too, but it's obvious where the majority of people are going to place it. I mean, he's said some ••••ty things about Pac and Filipinos over the years so it's easy to see why everybody would point it towards racism. Ironic considering how he likes to pulls his race card.

Same thing with the Tebow craze, he's a good guy and all, but it was pretty excessive. However, he bet $1,000,000 when the Patriots played in Denver, he may have had a big Twitter rant if he lost there too!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Yeah, I saw Ellerbe's response. I was like "meh". You know the majority of the PPV distributions are going to Mayweather anyways while the guys on the undercard probably get jack squat. May be the same way in the UFC, I really don't know, but the FCC got off their ass about it and let it be so I guess what the UFC is doing is ok.

EDIT:
Now I remember what my first reaction was to Ellerbe's statement. As I was reading it, it sounded like he was going to threaten that Mayweather would jump into a the Octagon and give a fighting lesson to the UFC fighters. Seriously, read it like this...

"If he keeps on running his mouth, we may decide to give a free seminar to all of the UFC fighters on how..."

Then of course he drops the ball with his stupid "...PPV revenues should be distributed." LOL, FAIL!!! (makes me think of Al Pacino's famous line "Oh, what a big man you are! Hey let me buy you a pack of gum, I'll show you how to chew it, woooh!")

Last edited by rockdawg21; 02-22-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:20 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Yeah, I saw Ellerbe's response. I was like "meh". You know the majority of the PPV distributions are going to Mayweather anyways while the guys on the undercard probably get jack squat. May be the same way in the UFC, I really don't know, but the FCC got off their ass about it and let it be so I guess what the UFC is doing is ok.
Of course the lions share goes to Mayweather! Why shouldn't it?

The lions share goes to Manny too, with the only difference being that Bob Arum takes a huge chunk off the top from basically all the fighters on his cards. Not much different than what the UFC does when you consider that most of Top Rank's fights are booked with fighters they have under contract. That's why Bob despises Floyd so much, because Floyd didn't need Arum anymore, and hell hath no fury like a lover scorned.

I literally just watched an interview with Arum on ESPN 10 minutes ago where he claims that Floyd is demanding the lions share of the money against Manny simply because Manny is a foriegner. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard Arum say, and he's said some pretty crazy things over the years. Let's be real here, Floyd may say things that stir the pot to generate hype at times, but the only color he really cares about is that MEAN GREEN. Floyd wants the lions share because he feels he deserves it, and I think he is right. Floyd is the bigger PPV attraction (no matter how they try to spin it), he is undefeated, and Manny hasn't looked nearly as good in his last few fights as Floyd has. Bob says if Manny takes less than 50/50 he will look weak to the Filipino people going into a political campaign for governer. Any smart politician/PR person could easily spin that into Manny saying he took less money because he has made enough money in Boxing and he simply wanted to make the fight happen to shut up Mayweather for his disrespectful comments over the years. What is Bob gonna say if Floyd beats Cotto and Manny loses to Bradley? Will Manny still deserve 50/50?

As for Dana White, if he really despises Floyd so much, the best thing he could do is simply stop talking about him. Dana understands promotion as well as anybody, so he should know that Floyd is already an established figure in the sports world. Dana coming out and lambasting him at every opportunity is only helping to keep Floyd's name in the headlines. This little tirade made it to the front page of Yahoo!. Now that the UFC is getting all sorts of exposure on FOX, I'm sure more people are finding out who Dana White is. He would be better served to talk about UFC fighters rather than hand free publicity to a guy he supposedly hates. Mayweather isn't LeBron James, he actually wears the black hat very well, and I guarantee Floyd is laughing his ass off at all of this free press. It don't matter if you are talking good about him or talking bad about him, you are talking about him.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:26 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella79 View Post
If he keeps on running his mouth, we may decide to give a free seminar to all of the UFC fighters on how the pay-per-view revenue should be distributed.
I literally laughed out in the grocery store when I read this on my android as I was doing my shopping.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:48 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Yeah, and I see that side too, but it's obvious where the majority of people are going to place it. I mean, he's said some ••••ty things about Pac and Filipinos over the years so it's easy to see why everybody would point it towards racism. Ironic considering how he likes to pulls his race card.
I will give you that, Floyd HAS pulled the race card at times as it pertains to African Americans. There has been a lot Floyd has said and done over the years that makes me cringe. So, even though I am fan of the man as a Boxer, don't think I am totally blind to his faults.

With that being said, I also think he has been wrongly criticized a lot of the time in the media, and a lot of what he has said or done has been misinterpurted or improperly spun by the media over the years.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:57 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

LOL

I leave this thread and decide to checkout Sherdog forums....

First thread title; "Dana calls Hong Man Choi "Long Duck Dong"

This whole thing is Carmelo Anthony's fault. He is the one who whined his way onto the Knicks, when he wasn't really a good fit for the Mike Diantoni system causing them to sink into the abyss this season, and he is also the one who told Diantoni to play Jeremy Lin. Now the topic of race, and speficically sensitivty toward Asians, has spilled over into Boxing/MMA. Damn you Carmelo!

(For the record, I'm just kidding. I love Carmelo Anthony)

Last edited by J.B.; 02-23-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:15 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I changed my avatar pic in honor of this thread.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

LOL, you're having way too much fun with this thread tonight JB!