Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 02-14-2012, 07:16 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Default CTE/Pugilistic Dementia Hits MMA Fighter

Dementia pugilistica (DP) is a type of neurodegenerative disease or dementia that may affect amateur or professional boxers as well as athletes in other sports who suffer concussions. A variant of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) it is also called chronic boxer’s encephalopathy, traumatic boxer’s encephalopathy, boxer’s dementia, chronic traumatic brain injury associated with boxing (CTBI-B), and punch-drunk syndrome (‘punchy’). Symptoms and signs of DP develop progressively over a long latent period sometimes amounting to decades, with the average time of onset being about 12–16 years after the start of a career in boxing. The condition is thought to affect around 15-20% of professional boxers.
The condition is caused by repeated concussive and sub-concussive blows (blows that are below the threshold of force necessary to cause concussion), or both. Because of the concern that boxing may cause DP, there is a movement among medical professionals to ban the sport. Medical professionals have called for such a ban since as early as the 1950s.

This condition is a rarity in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts. If another fighter has been diagnosed with this ailment it has either been kept under wraps or I have personally never heard of the case.

Gary Goodridge revealed to mmaweekly.com yesterday that he has been diagnosed with this disease and he is prepared to deal with it in the best way that he can.

Here is what he said:

“You get the news you just have to deal with it, live with it. There’s no treatment that goes along with it. There’s pills to make it slow down the process, but it’s inevitable. I would like to share with people, but I think most of my damage came from K-1. MMA really wasn’t an issue because there’s hardly any shots to the head. 90-percent of my injuries came from K-1, where there’s nothing but head trauma, head injuries over and over again. I have no regrets. I love the way I live my life, I mean I would like to make little changes, but no, I have no regrets. I loved the way my life was, I lived a good life, and I’m happy with what I did.”

Gary Goodridge started off his MMA Career at UFC 8. He then went on to compete for PRIDE starting at PRIDE 1. His career spanned the course of 14-years and over that time he competed in 46 professional contests.

Additionally he was a professional kick boxer with 38 fights to his credit.
http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/02/14...dge-14221.html
Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Loved watching him fight back in the day!!

Quote:
Former PRIDE FC and K-1 star Gary Goodridge may no longer be competing in mixed martial arts, but that doesn't mean the 46-year-old bruiser isn't still fighting on a daily basis. His new opponents?

Slurred speech and prescription pain killers.

Indeed, according to a report from MMAWeekly.com, Goodridge was recently diagnosed with early onset CTE/pugilistic dementia stemming from his long career of taking shots to the head both inside the ring and outside it during training and various sparring sessions.

Between MMA and kickboxing, Goodridge has amassed a staggering 80+ fights to his name since 1996. Unfortunately his career ended in a serious decline, as the Canadian was forced into retirement following seven consecutive losses dating back to March 2007.

But despite his sickness and declining health, he doesn't regret a single second of it.
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/2/14/27...ntia#storyjump
Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Sad what these guys put their bodies through for our entertainment.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:48 PM

I'm sure this kick didn't help him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky9VTC4QeRk
Old 02-14-2012, 09:00 PM

Wow, he was knocked out 24 times in his career. That's a lot of head/brain trauma.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:37 PM

i remember watching him fight in some amateur boxing cards here up in toronto .. oh man, this is going back like 20 years or longer .... he was killing guys back then and i remember thinking the ring was going to collapse he was so big .. sad to see him diagnosed with this ... hopefully he doesn't get anyworse ...
Old 02-15-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
I'm sure this kick didn't help him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky9VTC4QeRk
i jumped when he got kicked....you could actually hear the crack!! ugh. poor guy.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsmama View Post
i jumped when he got kicked....you could actually hear the crack!! ugh. poor guy.
i wonder if there is a fightmetric or compubox numbers on this fight .. i am sure it would be a headache keeping track of all the punches, kicks that were thrown and landed