Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
The "strong woman" label is a backhanded compliment. I jokingly say it to my wife sometimes. If you will notice, it is usually used by Oprah or someone of her ilk towards a woman who, through bad decisions, has messed up her life. A "strong woman" usually is a woman who was impregnated by a criminal, has a history of substance abuse, or raised a juvenile delinquent, etc. So, a woman of accomplishment, like Condi Rice, will not be referred to as a "strong woman" . . . it will be someone like Britney Spears, Mary Jo Buttafuoco, Whitney Houston, etc.

I know you meant it as a compliment. I couldn't help commenting (probably should have kept my big mouth closed) because it has become a pet peeve of mine. It is joining other words and phrases like "our rich diversity", "fair share", "speak truth to power", etc., etc., etc.
I am sorry if you have pet peeves, but I meant it just how I typed it.. She is a strong woman. A strong woman for being able to reflect on a horrible time in her life to have the wisdom to speak of it and overcome it.
I too have petpeeves.. I don't feel the need to comment after each one.

Last edited by Bella79; 02-14-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella79 View Post
Very sad. My heart goes out to her family and fans.
I hope Whitney is now at peace. She had an illness and it was sad to see her go out like this. RIP.
What illness did she have? Rheumatoid Arthritis? Coronary Artery Disease? Breast cancer? I thought she liked to take drugs.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:26 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
The "strong woman" label is a backhanded compliment. I jokingly say it to my wife sometimes. If you will notice, it is usually used by Oprah or someone of her ilk towards a woman who, through bad decisions, has messed up her life. A "strong woman" usually is a woman who was impregnated by a criminal, has a history of substance abuse, or raised a juvenile delinquent, etc. So, a woman of accomplishment, like Condi Rice, will not be referred to as a "strong woman" . . . it will be someone like Britney Spears, Mary Jo Buttafuoco, Whitney Houston, etc.

I know you meant it as a compliment. I couldn't help commenting (probably should have kept my big mouth closed) because it has become a pet peeve of mine. It is joining other words and phrases like "our rich diversity", "fair share", "speak truth to power", etc., etc., etc.
If you know that Foxy meant it as a compliment, then why would try to undermine that? Regardless of how others may want to twist the words, Melissa was clearly telling Dawn that she was a woman who is strong, as evidenced by her ability to walk away (and stay away) from an abuser.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
If you know that Foxy meant it as a compliment, then why would try to undermine that? Regardless of how others may want to twist the words, Melissa was clearly telling Dawn that she was a woman who is strong, as evidenced by her ability to walk away (and stay away) from an abuser.
Not meant as undermining. Just an aside, triggered by a buzzword on a forum meant for comments. The comment was on the phrase, not Melissa/Bella's intent (or on Primadawn's story). I know her intent was a compliment. I was just making the observation that "strong woman" is becoming something akin to "nice guy". "Nice guy" was originally meant as a compliment but over time has taken on the connotation of a wimp or doormat ("Nice guys finish last.").

Last edited by Play The Man; 02-15-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 PM

VCU RamFan/Ben, I have a challenge for you. Over the next few months, when you are watching tv, keep your ears open and make a mental note of when you hear the words, "strong woman". As I mentioned, my wife and I have noticed it and whenever I hear it on tv (and it is invariably in the context of a woman whose life is in shambles, not from acts of God, but by poor personal decisions), I look over at my wife and say, "Honey, you are such a strong woman." (She gets a chuckle or eye roll out of it). It must happen at least a half-dozen times a year. (Of course, me wife tends to watch a bunch of Lifetime and WE tv.) In our home, "strong woman" is an inside-joke.

Last edited by Play The Man; 02-14-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:24 PM

well , I had to think of something fast....lol...actually I am Jimmy Mack , and I actually am an executive chef........old account was one of the many that got removed
Old 02-15-2012, 12:41 AM

I wondered who "Cooking Dude" was as well. Glad you are back, Jimmy Mack.

now maybe I can get some recipes from you...

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 AM

any time Flo , just let me know what you are looking for
Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Dude View Post
well , I had to think of something fast....lol...actually I am Jimmy Mack , and I actually am an executive chef........old account was one of the many that got removed
I knew it!

As soon as I read "Jimmy Mack" that song popped into my! Glad you're back.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:57 AM
Stump Rules!

Sorry Cooking Dude!
We remember you now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Dude View Post

http://stumpdotcom.com/