Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 PM
I♥The♔COUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
The "strong woman" label is a backhanded compliment. I jokingly say it to my wife sometimes. If you will notice, it is usually used by Oprah or someone of her ilk towards a woman who, through bad decisions, has messed up her life. A "strong woman" usually is a woman who was impregnated by a criminal, has a history of substance abuse, or raised a juvenile delinquent, etc. So, a woman of accomplishment, like Condi Rice, will not be referred to as a "strong woman" . . . it will be someone like Britney Spears, Mary Jo Buttafuoco, Whitney Houston, etc.

I know you meant it as a compliment. I couldn't help commenting (probably should have kept my big mouth closed) because it has become a pet peeve of mine. It is joining other words and phrases like "our rich diversity", "fair share", "speak truth to power", etc., etc., etc.
I am sorry if you have pet peeves, but I meant it just how I typed it.. She is a strong woman. A strong woman for being able to reflect on a horrible time in her life to have the wisdom to speak of it and overcome it.
I too have petpeeves.. I don't feel the need to comment after each one.

Last edited by Bella79; 02-14-2012 at 09:51 PM.