Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
Nate, can we work on a bowing emoticon?
Old 03-10-2009, 04:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
One of the reasons politics and religion should be separated.
Well, I just have two quotes to respond to that:

John Jay (one of the authors of the Declaration of Independence and the first Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court):
Quote:
"Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers."
George Washington (from his Farewell Address to the nation):
Quote:
Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. The mere politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked: Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths which are the instruments of investigation in courts of justice ? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.
The Founding Fathers believed that politics needed to go hand-in-hand with religion if liberty and justice were to prevail. That was the whole philosophy that America was founded upon.

I think our problem now is that politics and religion have been separated for too long.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:12 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Considering that nearly all of my dad's family was exterminated in Auschwitz, then 'yes' very poor taste.
You're Jewish?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
You're Jewish?
At least 50%.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:22 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
I think our problem now is that politics and religion have been separated for too long.
I disagree. Neoconservatism is dead and dying.