Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Fixed!

Hahaha
Old 02-09-2012, 01:37 PM

seriously though .. when is the last time in mma we saw a really bad decision ? some of the fights that people are complaining about, bisping/sonnen, diaz/condit could have gone either way ... in close fights you are going to have half the people angry with the decision and the other half thinking it was a good call ...
Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
seriously though .. when is the last time in mma we saw a really bad decision ? some of the fights that people are complaining about, bisping/sonnen, diaz/condit could have gone either way ... in close fights you are going to have half the people angry with the decision and the other half thinking it was a good call ...
I think that's the point, though, isn't it? I mean, when there's a robbery, everyone knows it but the refs & it's a matter (seemingly) of firing those judges. In these close fights, though, there's too much room for interpretation & therefore a lot of wiggle room. We want to lock it down so the judges have to point to something concrete as opposed to "he was more aggressive".
Old 02-09-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I think that's the point, though, isn't it? I mean, when there's a robbery, everyone knows it but the refs & it's a matter (seemingly) of firing those judges. In these close fights, though, there's too much room for interpretation & therefore a lot of wiggle room. We want to lock it down so the judges have to point to something concrete as opposed to "he was more aggressive".
imo, no matter what you do to the judging criteria aside from giving one form (striking or grappling) an advantage, in close fights, you are always going to have some controversy .. in combat sports, the only way to ensure you don't get robbed is to not let it go to the judges ...
Old 02-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Formerly Dethbob

It would be interesting if someone with the time and data mining knowhow could go back through the Zuffa fights that ended in the third, fourth and fifth round and identify the things that finish fights. I think things like active guard, dominant GnP, consistent leg kicks, and lateral footwork would make the list but it would be nice to see some real numbers on that. If we had hard data on this stuff, we would be able to state with much more certainty which fighter won a fight, without having to rely on subjective criteria.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:46 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRShrek View Post
It would be interesting if someone with the time and data mining knowhow could go back through the Zuffa fights that ended in the third, fourth and fifth round and identify the things that finish fights. I think things like active guard, dominant GnP, consistent leg kicks, and lateral footwork would make the list but it would be nice to see some real numbers on that. If we had hard data on this stuff, we would be able to state with much more certainty which fighter won a fight, without having to rely on subjective criteria.
FightMetric has that info & then some, but I'm not sure how easy it is to search through their site for it.