Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Waiting for June 6th

Default Nick Diaz, Carlos Condit Camps Differ on Defending Interim Belt While GSP Heals

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:

Looming in the background of UFC 143's main event is the specter of UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, who is potentially the real prize for Saturday night's winner. Either Nick Diaz or Carlos Condit will emerge with the interim title after the scheduled five-rounder, but a date with St-Pierre and a chance to win the linear title is ultimate reward.

Complicating matters is uncertainty about St-Pierre's return date. UFC president Dana White recently said that GSP may be back in the summertime, while St-Pierre himself suggested that November was a more likely time frame.

That leads to questions about how the division will move forward in his absence. And on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour, Diaz's manager and trainer Cesar Gracie revealed that if Diaz wins, he'll urge his charge not to compete until St-Pierre is ready to face him.

"If we're fortunate and we win this fight, I would advise Nick to not take another fight before the GSP fight unless it was in different weight class," he said. "We want to wait for that 170-pound thing. The people I speak with, they want to see the GSP fight if Nick is able to defeat Condit. That's where I'm at with it. I'd advise Nick to not take another fight."

Depending on St-Pierre's recovery time, that could lead to a 10-month break between fights, a period that Gracie said could be broken up by a temporary move to middleweight.

Historically though, UFC has rarely allowed champions to move divisions to compete in non-title matches. The last to do it was middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva, who moved up to light-heavyweight to KO