Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > Announcements > Site Ideas

Old 01-29-2012, 02:23 AM
Administrator

Default If your account has been deleted...

The database seemed to be getting overloaded with spam accounts and I've been going through and deleting all of those. Unfortunately, it's not a quick process and, in the process of deleting tens of thousands of spam accounts, I might have unintentionally deleted several active accounts for regular members.

Unfortunately, if that happened to you, then there is really no way to retrieve your previous information, you will have to log back in under a new name. Please make sure to email me at webmaster@matt-hughes.com once you have so I can immediately approve your new account. I apologize for the inconvenience.

I wanted to assure everyone that this has nothing to do with comments made on here, since I've been isolating accounts by join date and recent activity. Once all the spam accounts are cleared out, I will be deleting them on a more regular basis to make sure that this kind of mistake doesn't happen again. Once again, I apologize if your account has been deleted, it was completely unintentional.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:33 AM

I'm sorry there have been all these attacks, Nate, I don't envy you all that work but I sure appreciate it. This is my home away from home, so to speak!

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 01-29-2012, 02:45 AM
Administrator

My first fear, once I realized that I had deleted some of the wrong accounts, was that I had accidentally deleted Matt or Mark's accounts. Fortunately, both of their accounts are still here. Unfortunately, a lot of regular members have been deleted (right now, I can see that Miss Foxy, County Mike, Primadawn, Silverback, Chris F, rearnakedchoke, and several others are gone).

I tried cleaning everything out in one mass delete, so that anyone with 0 posts, who hasn't even confirmed their email address yet, would have their account removed. Unfortunately, that just caused more database errors and internal server errors. So I'm having to go through and delete them month by month (based on the month that they joined). Just for example, there are over 5000 spam accounts in the database from the month of November 2011 alone.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:03 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
My first fear, once I realized that I had deleted some of the wrong accounts, was that I had accidentally deleted Matt or Mark's accounts. Fortunately, both of their accounts are still here. Unfortunately, a lot of regular members have been deleted (right now, I can see that Miss Foxy, County Mike, Primadawn, Silverback, Chris F, rearnakedchoke, and several others are gone).

I tried cleaning everything out in one mass delete, so that anyone with 0 posts, who hasn't even confirmed their email address yet, would have their account removed. Unfortunately, that just caused more database errors and internal server errors. So I'm having to go through and delete them month by month (based on the month that they joined). Just for example, there are over 5000 spam accounts in the database from the month of November 2011 alone.
Man, that is rough, NateR. Sorry to hear that it's been so rough these last few days & also sorry to hear that some have lost ther accounts.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:15 AM
Stump Rules!

(glad it wasn't me!)

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-29-2012, 03:42 AM
Administrator

If anyone pays attention to the stats at the bottom of the screen, you might have noticed that we used to have over 250,000 registered users, but we are down to about 40,000. That's how many spam accounts I've deleted so far (not counting the legitimate accounts that I accidentally deleted) and I've still got several months worth of accounts to go.

EDIT: Down to 460 members and that's including all the spam accounts that just signed up since I originally typed this post. From this point on, I'm giving people 72 hours to confirm their email address or their account gets deleted.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:38 AM
7X Prediction Champ !!!!!

Wow NateR. Sorry about the nightmare man.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:33 PM

What a headache...that's ridiculous. I used to manage a much smaller forum for an online gaming group. We had spammers but not nearly that bad. Thanks for the clean-up and hard work to keep it running smoothly. I can't imagine that many SPAM names! Crazy...
Old 01-29-2012, 01:38 PM

I can't even remember who I had on my friends list

Lol!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:22 PM

i think you shouls accidentally delete ben and dave's accounts, i think they would faint if there 25,000 posts were no longer on their records!