Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Sad to say, but boxing will be better once Arum is gone. Mayweather may just be doing Twitter attacks, but they're good and he is really putting Arum on the spot. Arum is the duck here.

On another note, Sergio Martinez may get his wish of a chance to prove himself the #1 P4P as Mayweather called him out today. This would be a major fight that would be great to see.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/1...otto-guerrero-

Quote:
Mayweather eyes Martinez if not Pacquiao, dismisses Alvarez, Cotto, Guerrero

by Lem Satterfield
Jan 19th, 2012

WBC titleholder Floyd Mayweather Jr. told Kevin Iole of Yahoo!Sports that he would consider fighting RING middleweight champion Sergio Martinez on May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas if a bout opposite WBO counter part Manny Pacquiao can not be made on that date.

Mayweather, who turns 35 next month, also dismissed as potential rivals WBA junior middleweight beltholder Miguel Cotto, WBC junior middleweight titleholder Saul Alvarez and No. 2-rated lightweight Robert Guerrero, a five-belt winner over the course of three divisions.

Mayweather said Alvarez would be a good opponent "down the line," but considers Cotto to be "Pacquiao's leftovers," having been dethroned via 12th-round knockout as WBO welterweight beltholder by Pacquiao in November of 2009.

Martinez will face Mathew Macklin on March 17 at New York's Madison Square Garden.

"If Sergio Martinez can make 150, letís make the fight happen. Like I said, there are no excuses," said Mayweather. "Iím a little different than other guys. Heís got a very, very impressive style. But like I said before, my main focus is a Manny Pacquiao fight."

Mayweather, who recently directed a "step up punk" tweet to Pacqauiao, spoke to reporters at his in Las Vegas on Wednesday and primarily blamed Pacquiao's promoter, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, for blocking efforts to make a bout whose negotiations have twice failed over the issue of drug testing.
"People around the world are anticipating a fight between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. Whatís been so unbelievable is that the guy said he agreed to take the random blood and urine tests, so I said, ĎOK, so now letís make [the fight] happen. Letís give the fans and the people what they want to see," said Mayweather.

"People all around the world want to see Mayweather versus Pacquiao and thatís a fight that I really, really want. Iím the best in the sport and Iím going to continue to show the world Iím the best. There is no fight I want more than the Manny Pacquiao fight. I guess he said he agreed to fight. The only thing that is stopping this fight right now, that I truly believe is stopping the fight, is Bob Arum."

Arum told RingTV.com on Tuesday that Mayweather still is among the five choices for Pacquiao, including Cotto,RING lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez, WBO junior welterweight titleholder Tim Bradley and IBF/WBA junior welterweight titleholder Lamont Peterson.

Mayweather has targeted May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas for his next bout, but Arum and Pacquiao's advisor, Michael Koncz, have all but dismissed that date for Mayweather-Pacquiao, citing their camp's desire to have built a 40,000-seat, temporary outdoor venue on the Las Vegas strip in late May or early-June to maximize revenue.

Mayweather is slated to begin a 90-day jail sentence staring on June 1.

"Floyd Mayweather is the Plan A. And one of those other four guys is the Plan B. Our first priority is to see if a Mayweather fight can be made," said Arum. "If that fight can be made, then everything will fall into place. If that can't be made, then everything else will still fall into place."
But Mayweather has also tweeted for Arum to begin talks with his advisor, Al Haymon, and his promoter, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer.

"I'm ready to fight Pacquiao 5/5/12 Bob Arum know the date can't change," wrote Mayweather. "I have my guarantee call Schaefer & Al and stop lying to the public."

Click here for the full report on Yahoo!Sports.

Photo by Tom Hogan, Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions

Lem Satterfield can be reached at lemuel.satterfield@gmail.com

Last edited by rockdawg21; 01-19-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:04 AM

Stupid Arum just make the Fight Happen!!!

Manny can still make a lot of money after he loses this fight.

He can Fight Marquez and get the win even if Marquez Knock him out its a guarantee.

I say Sergio Martinez should scrap his fight and accept Floyd's Challenge.
I give him a better chance to beat Floyd than Manny.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:55 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

It was confirmed today that Mayweather called Pacquiao and talked to him directly. Pac said he still wants the fight and it's blatantly obvious Mayweather wants it. However, Pac said they did not talk about the date of the fight. This tells me that perhaps Mayweather isn't tremendously concerned that he fight Pac for sure on May 5, but after he gets out of jail.

Regardless, these guys want the fight, we want the fight. Arum is a true piece of •••• worrying about his other stadium to make 30 million. I don't have a problem with people making money, but jeeze, how much is enough and how long is his greedy ass going to continue to deprive us of this fight? The rest of us are just trying to survive this recession and he's openly talking about delaying/preventing the biggest fight of the decade so he can make significantly more money when you know he's already got more than enough. Hopefully Manny will threaten Arum to make the fight or he'll retire.

Last edited by rockdawg21; 01-20-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Ugh, this is ridiculous. Mayweather called Pac to make the fight, demands Pac take a drug test, Pac agrees and in return, Pac said they could make the fight if the purse is a 50/50 split. Mayweather rejected this.

Boxing is really annoying sometimes. I was blaming Arum for avoiding the fight due to greed, and now Mayweather is doing the same. The jackass calls out Pacquiao, gets a get out of jail free card (temporarily), calls Pacquiao and still isn't honestly trying to make the fight. I've said forever that no matter what, Mayweather will find some way out of the fight. First it was money, then the drug test, now it's back to money. I no longer honestly think Mayweather is afraid to fight Pac, but this greed is just stupid. Just make the damn fight!

Last edited by rockdawg21; 01-20-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

If I remember correctly, when the issue of blood testing first came up, well over a year ago, both sides had said that all the other terms had been agreed upon except for the blood tests.

Regardless, that was then and this is now. Pacquiao brings a lot to the table, but I've always thought Floyd deserved the lions share of the money, for various reasons, and that Arum has been the one standing in the way of the fight getting made. However, Floyd hasn't helped his public perception much the past year by spending more time on TMZ than in the Boxing ring. Still, the fact remains that this is the biggest money fight in the sport, and both guys need each other to make it happen, so if a 50/50 split is what it's gonna take then Floyd may need to come down or risk losing money, or even the fight all together. They have been toying with this fight for about as long as possible, and honestly the interest was probably at it's peak about a year and a half ago. The window is slowly closing, and every other fight they take is becoming a greater risk of destroying the value of this fight (especially for Pacquiao).

Arum is crazy if he thinks people should believe that May 5th is too soon because this fight needs more time to promote or that it needs some special outdoor stadium that he wants to build. That is ridiculous. This fight has had all the buildup in the world, and he knows May 5th is the perfect date.

The saga continues...lol