Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Conrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
My friend turns on "Hoarders" when his wife starts letting things slip. After watching the show, she always goes on a cleaning spree. Smart man.
Right on!

Looking at a few posts....not all quoted here...

A couple side notes--
--When I ended my long post, I said "Living in a diry house can be sinful..." in one of the last couple lines. That was supposed to be in the context of "depending on what else is going on, which is where the sin would be," which I think I alluded to above. Yeah, it's a long post.

--Mark's question fit a template of "Is it a sin to _______?" A dirty house doesn't imply hoarding. My long answer meant to be academic, not marriage counseling or pinning anything on Mark of course. It seems like some of the discussion is blurring lines too much between the root question and the thing that sparked the curiosity (a show). I know the topic will shift, sure, but distinctions are helpful.

To live in a dirty house is not sinful, but it may be related to sin. The house isn't, but let's say the laziness and irresponsibility are because of what Mark said later, not taking care of the resource God gave you, for example.

On that note, if you body itself is a resource, then is it sinning "against one's own body*" not to take some care of it or the place it dwells?

(*that phrase was originally used in scripture of sexual sin.)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Conrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
But I would also distinguish between a hoarder and a packrat. People who are packrats are usually conditioned into that lifestyle as a result of growing up in poverty. I know that some people who lived through the Great Depression learned how to be packrats as a matter of survival. My grandparents were like that and they passed it on to my parents, who passed it on to me. As a result, I have a very hard time throwing some things away, especially if I can conceive of some way that it might be useful in the future.
Same here on the Future Usefulness issue. Things got a too cluttered in the closet and storage bins, which helped me start facing the reality that I'd most likely never use the "leftovers" or whatever.

Two things were really helpful before that. First was a money-topic bible study that dealt with stewardship and contentment. Next was pausing to think about how realistic I was about ever getting-around-to ideas/project or the reality of if Future Use.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
also, i believe the scriptures have a solution for everything we deem mental illness as well...... I don't think there is any place for pychiatrists in christianity, i understand the need for them that blatantly reject God and have no hope of rest or wit, then we as a society need to drug them to protect them from themselves and others, but as christians, we have other solutions to go to rather than drugs or secular conseling
So Christians don't get dementia, delirium, Schizophrenia or obsessive-compulsive disorder? What are our solutions? Benny Hinn?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
So Christians don't get dementia, delirium, Schizophrenia or obsessive-compulsive disorder? What are our solutions? Benny Hinn?
ask and ye shall receive
Old 01-18-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
ask and ye shall receive
I would hope that I would receive a competent psychiatrist to help me with my problems.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Conrad

Quote:
Old 01-20-2012, 03:08 AM
Conrad

I happened to flip on the History Channel.

"Cool, it's archeology stuff." THen they said, "extra-terrestrials".

Oh. It's Ancient Aliens. I'm typing here & so didn't turn it off...background sound.

American Pickers just came on. WOW. There needs to be an American Pickers/Hoarders crossover.

I'm killing this and getting some other background sound going...
Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
I would hope that I would receive a competent psychiatrist to help me with my problems.
fair enough ...