Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 01-15-2012, 06:05 AM
Conrad

Cross-pollinating for a moment of levity :P
Old 01-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
HEY!!! I havent seen you in ages! are you married and living in the US now
ha ha all married and living in the UK. I will get some pictures up for you guys soon
Old 01-17-2012, 01:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
So, if I say that it's wrong for a parent to punch their child in the face, is my opinion invalid because I don't have kids? What about a parent who sexually molests their child? Am I not allowed to have an opinion on that because I have no kids?

Of course, those are "common sense" examples that everyone should know are wrong (I'd hope).

However, where do you draw the line on what I am supposed to understand as common sense and what I can "never really know" because I've never been a parent? Or is it just whatever you happen to disagree with that I'm unqualified to speak out about?
I think what Brad is trying to say is that you have some very strong opinions on some subjects that you dont have alot of experience with. Its ok to state your opinion but you keep arguing about it. I dont think i can remember anywhere in the bible where Jesus argued with anyone.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:08 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I think what Brad is trying to say is that you have some very strong opinions on some subjects that you dont have alot of experience with. Its ok to state your opinion but you keep arguing about it. I dont think i can remember anywhere in the bible where Jesus argued with anyone.
Jesus argued by telling a story. Paul argued a lot even with Peter. So good discussion is okay. But when it gets to the point where I typically take it it is not spiritually healthy and has no fruit. NateR like me is unapologetically combative when he feels he is right. But this particular issue is not soul threatening and not a hill worth dying on.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Conrad

Quote:
"Woe to you..."
"Brood of vipers..."
and other forms of argument might not be recognized by us. They argued differently. Even in the Temple, a person was usually given all his time to speak his mind before the response came.
Oh, and don't forget the whipping to clear the temple. Just because more words weren't written down doesn't mean he whipped silently.

Jesus' arguments were usually like a 2-man fight in prison. It's quick, and then over. Some were longer and went back and forth.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Conrad

Quote:
Oh, I apologize. I missed something crucial to Mark's statement:

Jesus' arguings were different from what you're tapping on in Nate's activities. Got it. Sorry, didn't mean to obscure your point!