Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 12-31-2011, 02:59 AM

Default video game system

i have never bought a game system, and played very little.... but i kinda got this hankering to get one, especially for cabelas dangerous hunts, does anyone have recommendations for a system? i see the wiis are the cheapest, are they as good as a ps3 move or xbox kinect? what's the difference between the navigator wand and motion wand or whatever? is there alot of stuff to buy afterwards or is it pretty well all standard? are the shooting games pretty fun or do they get old quick?
Old 12-31-2011, 03:40 AM

I played Modern Warfare 3 on the Xbox 360 and Just Dance 3 on the Wii this weekend and both made me want to buy that particular system. Had a lot to di with the company I was enjoying the games with. My nieces love dancing and my nephew loves taking out Soviets! LOL

[
Old 12-31-2011, 04:44 AM
Chuck

We have a PS3 and love it. I think the graphics are better and LOVE the built in BlueRay player. I know the price of BlueRay players has dropped but I like that it's 1 less component I need plugged into my system.

If you want to do the sports/motion tracking games a lot I would probably go with the Xbox Kinect. We have the "Move" for our PS3 and we like it but it only tracks the wand.. my understanding is the Kinect tracks the whole body.

So............. for me I would rank them (For adults) PS3, Xbox, Wii and for Kids: Wii, Xbox, PS3

But hey, what do I know? LOL.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I have a Wii and an Xbox. Xbox has the largest game library of all 3 systems. I haven't bought a Kinect since I already have a Wii, that's a can of worms I don't want to open, haha!

I'm pleased with the Wii, especially since they added the gyro remote, this makes it much more dynamic.

If it's about money and just family fun, go with the Wii. If it's about serious gaming, go with the Xbox or PS3.

Plus, there's that little leak on Sony's security, hahaha! Go with Xbox over PS3
Old 12-31-2011, 04:58 PM

what's the sony leak?

and do i need the navigation remote and the other remote thingy too?

thanks for the replies!
Old 12-31-2011, 05:21 PM
kevint13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
what's the sony leak?

and do i need the navigation remote and the other remote thingy too?

thanks for the replies!
Sony got hacked a few times and it caused them to bring their online network down for a month or so.

I have a PS3 and a Wii. I like both, but it really depends on what you are looking for. If you want really good graphics the PS3 is what you want. If you are looking for something fun that is more family oriented, the Wii is a better choice.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
Sony got hacked a few times and it caused them to bring their online network down for a month or so.

I have a PS3 and a Wii. I like both, but it really depends on what you are looking for. If you want really good graphics the PS3 is what you want. If you are looking for something fun that is more family oriented, the Wii is a better choice.
so you're telling me i have to choose between myself or my family....great....

so do you have a move on your ps3 and do i have to get online at all with it?
Old 12-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Administrator

The XBox is probably the safest bet all around. It has the biggest game library and the graphics capabilities are still pretty good. It's also the best option if you are interested in online gaming. Also the Kinect add-on has significantly energized the system so that it's probably got a couple years of life left in it.

The PS3 is going to be better as far as graphics and overall power. Plus you get the built in Blu-Ray player. Like has been mentioned already, however, the security of its online features is a little sketchy right now.

The Wii is on it's last legs as a system, which is why it's the cheapest. It's fine if you only want to play a few games here and there. However, it's getting replaced next year with the Wii U, so there aren't going to be many major releases left for the Wii. When it comes to technical specs, the Wii is a joke compared the XBox and especially the PS3. I would NOT buy a Wii at this point in time. Better to either get an XBox or a PS3, or just wait for the Wii U in 2012.

Also, if you're not particularly a fan of Mario or Pokemon games, then there is little reason to purchase a Nintendo system these days.

As of now, the XBox and PS3 are not expected to be updated until 2014 at the earliest. The Wii U should be out next year , but it is not really considered a next generation system, it's more like Nintendo playing catch up with Sony and Microsoft, because the Wii was such a woefully underpowered system.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:02 PM
kevint13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
so you're telling me i have to choose between myself or my family....great....

so do you have a move on your ps3 and do i have to get online at all with it?
I do not have the move for PS3. I have heard that the kinect for Xbox is better if you are looking for that type of gaming.

You do not have to get online with any of the systems, there are downloads and system updates that can be acquired from connecting online. I have never tried it, but apparently you can get updates from like a pc and store on a USB flash drive to then use to update the system.

As Nate said, the online part is a little sketchy still, but Sony assured everyone that no personal information was compromised. User id's and passwords were the most that the hackers could obtain (again, according to Sony)
Old 01-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Primadawn

We have Wii and love it. But I have all daughters and the only games we play are Just Dance, Mario Kart and Glee Karaoke....so....