Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 12-29-2011, 11:32 PM
County Mike

Sounds like it might also be a registry error. You need a boot disk to see if you can at least get it up with minimum abilities. That would let you explore the hard drive. Ask around for a windows boot disk (or if you have another computer, you might be able to make one.) Does her computer even accept floppy disks? Many today do not but they can be booted with a thumb drive if configured correctly.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:17 AM

so what state are you in again? what program are you using for your schoolwork? do you still have the cd to reinstall the program?
Old 12-30-2011, 03:51 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Sounds like it might also be a registry error. You need a boot disk to see if you can at least get it up with minimum abilities. That would let you explore the hard drive. Ask around for a windows boot disk (or if you have another computer, you might be able to make one.) Does her computer even accept floppy disks? Many today do not but they can be booted with a thumb drive if configured correctly.
Thanks Mike someone else suggested that, Can you tell me how to make another disk from my computer. Her machine takes floppy mine does not.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:52 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
so what state are you in again? what program are you using for your schoolwork? do you still have the cd to reinstall the program?
I live in OK, we use Switched on School House, We use XP, No CD
Old 12-30-2011, 12:35 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Thanks Mike someone else suggested that, Can you tell me how to make another disk from my computer. Her machine takes floppy mine does not.
Since your machine does not take floppies, you might have to make a bootable thumb drive (USB drive). Hopefully, her computer is configured to boot from the thumb drive before it tries to boot from the hard drive. As for making the bootable drive, I'd say google or check microsoft's website. There should be an option on there to make a bare bones boot drive.

If the problem is registry and not a bad hard drive, at least you'll be able to copy files off the hard drive and might possibly be able to repair the registry file. The process is a little advanced to explain across messages and might require a trip to a professional. If you decide to hire a pro, chances are they'll have a boot disk already.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:20 PM

well if you wanted to ship it to iowa, i would take a look at it for you, otherwise, i am not much help, but feel free to send it to me.....

however, i do know there are some really good forums with alot of really geeky geeks, that are better suited for across online support... they may be of some use
Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 AM
huan

how close are you to ft. smith?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by huan View Post
how close are you to ft. smith?
hour and half maybe.