Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-29-2011, 11:32 PM
County Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sounds like it might also be a registry error. You need a boot disk to see if you can at least get it up with minimum abilities. That would let you explore the hard drive. Ask around for a windows boot disk (or if you have another computer, you might be able to make one.) Does her computer even accept floppy disks? Many today do not but they can be booted with a thumb drive if configured correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-30-2011, 02:17 AM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

so what state are you in again? what program are you using for your schoolwork? do you still have the cd to reinstall the program?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-30-2011, 03:51 AM
Chris F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Sounds like it might also be a registry error. You need a boot disk to see if you can at least get it up with minimum abilities. That would let you explore the hard drive. Ask around for a windows boot disk (or if you have another computer, you might be able to make one.) Does her computer even accept floppy disks? Many today do not but they can be booted with a thumb drive if configured correctly.
Thanks Mike someone else suggested that, Can you tell me how to make another disk from my computer. Her machine takes floppy mine does not.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-30-2011, 03:52 AM
Chris F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
so what state are you in again? what program are you using for your schoolwork? do you still have the cd to reinstall the program?
I live in OK, we use Switched on School House, We use XP, No CD
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-30-2011, 12:35 PM
County Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Thanks Mike someone else suggested that, Can you tell me how to make another disk from my computer. Her machine takes floppy mine does not.
Since your machine does not take floppies, you might have to make a bootable thumb drive (USB drive). Hopefully, her computer is configured to boot from the thumb drive before it tries to boot from the hard drive. As for making the bootable drive, I'd say google or check microsoft's website. There should be an option on there to make a bare bones boot drive.

If the problem is registry and not a bad hard drive, at least you'll be able to copy files off the hard drive and might possibly be able to repair the registry file. The process is a little advanced to explain across messages and might require a trip to a professional. If you decide to hire a pro, chances are they'll have a boot disk already.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-30-2011, 01:20 PM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

well if you wanted to ship it to iowa, i would take a look at it for you, otherwise, i am not much help, but feel free to send it to me.....


however, i do know there are some really good forums with alot of really geeky geeks, that are better suited for across online support... they may be of some use
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 AM
huan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

how close are you to ft. smith?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Chris F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huan View Post
how close are you to ft. smith?
hour and half maybe.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.