Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM
rearnakedchoke

Default Is the Tim Tebow "Tebowing" trend, Mocking God?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/t...lessing-102911

The growing phenomenon of Tebowing, which sees people record themselves kneeling in a prayer pose in tribute to NFL star Tim Tebow, has gained its biggest endorsement yet -- from the Broncos quarterback himself.

Tebow was alerted to the craze, popularized by Denver native Jared Kleinstein's Tebowing website, by teammate Von Miller, who pointed him toward the proliferation of photos uploaded online, the Denver Post reported.

"What's funny about it is how rapidly it's caught on, and how much it has taken off," Tebow said Friday.

While his critics have adopted Tebowing as another way to mock the former Florida star, who is famed for his deep religious devotion, Tebow insisted he was focused only on those taking inspiration from his prayer position.

"It's not my job to see people's reasons behind it, but I know [of a kid] with cancer that tweeted me, 'Tebowing while I'm chemoing' -- how cool is that?" Tebow said. "That's worth it right now. If that gives him any encouragement or puts a smile on his face, or gives him encouragement to pray, that's completely awesome."

Even Kleinstein, a dedicated Tebow fan, opened the door to ridicule with his definition of the practice as "to get down on a knee and start praying, even if everyone else around you is doing something completely different."

But Tebow was taking the description at face value.

"It is serious, for me," Tebow said. "At least it's being talked about, and that's a cool thing. If I can help be an example of that, then I look at that as a blessing."
Old 11-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/t...lessing-102911

The growing phenomenon of Tebowing, which sees people record themselves kneeling in a prayer pose in tribute to NFL star Tim Tebow, has gained its biggest endorsement yet -- from the Broncos quarterback himself.

Tebow was alerted to the craze, popularized by Denver native Jared Kleinstein's Tebowing website, by teammate Von Miller, who pointed him toward the proliferation of photos uploaded online, the Denver Post reported.

"What's funny about it is how rapidly it's caught on, and how much it has taken off," Tebow said Friday.

While his critics have adopted Tebowing as another way to mock the former Florida star, who is famed for his deep religious devotion, Tebow insisted he was focused only on those taking inspiration from his prayer position.

"It's not my job to see people's reasons behind it, but I know [of a kid] with cancer that tweeted me, 'Tebowing while I'm chemoing' -- how cool is that?" Tebow said. "That's worth it right now. If that gives him any encouragement or puts a smile on his face, or gives him encouragement to pray, that's completely awesome."

Even Kleinstein, a dedicated Tebow fan, opened the door to ridicule with his definition of the practice as "to get down on a knee and start praying, even if everyone else around you is doing something completely different."

But Tebow was taking the description at face value.

"It is serious, for me," Tebow said. "At least it's being talked about, and that's a cool thing. If I can help be an example of that, then I look at that as a blessing."
I don't think it mocks God but I can see how somebody might. I think it mocks Tim if anything but he seems to be in good spirits about it.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:48 AM
rearnakedchoke

i agree that i don't think the people are doing it to mock God ... but it the QB that did it happened to be other than Christian say, muslim and got down prostrate and people started doing that, i don't think it'd go over as well ..
Old 11-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

No...I think it might be seen as mocking the religious a little...but the guy didnt do it to get this response, so he is clear of conscience on that level. GOD looks at the heart...so I dont think he will be mocked, nor will he take as a form of piety that position for the sake of that position.

In essence it was probably something mean towards the guy himself. But he seems to have the right attitude about it. It doesnt offend him, He means it when he does it, and if its exposure causes anyone to really think then all the better.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

LOL....Tebow is going to be an afterthought sooner than later. I like the guy and I've rooted for him, but I just don't think he's going to amount to much in the NFL.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
i agree that i don't think the people are doing it to mock God ... but it the QB that did it happened to be other than Christian say, muslim and got down prostrate and people started doing that, i don't think it'd go over as well ..
You might be too young to remember this, but "Rocket" Ismail, a Muslim, would always do the "Tebow" kneel after scoring a touchdown. This was about 20 years ago and I don't recall any controversy or any blowback on "Rocket". I don't recall any sportswriters calling him out. You can see him do it on video clips on YouTube. I'm too busy to search right now.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
You might be too young to remember this, but "Rocket" Ismail, a Muslim, would always do the "Tebow" kneel after scoring a touchdown. This was about 20 years ago and I don't recall any controversy or any blowback on "Rocket". I don't recall any sportswriters calling him out. You can see him do it on video clips on YouTube. I'm too busy to search right now.
I was just looking up "Rocket" to see if there was any "Tebow"ing controversy that I was not aware of back in the day. I see that "Rocket" is no longer a Muslim. He converted to Christianity. I couldn't find a date for his conversion (one source said age 24). I don't know if his "Tebow"ing occurred when he was a Muslim or a Christian.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:46 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
of course i remember the rocket ... he played up here in toronto .. i don't remember his kneel though .. but i do think he signed here after college, so that would probably made him a muslim when he was here ..
Old 12-24-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
of course i remember the rocket ... he played up here in toronto .. i don't remember his kneel though .. but i do think he signed here after college, so that would probably made him a muslim when he was here ..
Here are a couple of brief YouTube clips of "Rocket". If you watch until the end, he does a "Tebow" in the endzone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uMhw...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqC_B...eature=related