Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 12-24-2011, 12:32 AM
Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
Touche (can't find accent button). I also typed something nasty about Britain, lack of teeth and what certain men do with their gums. I calmed down and thought better of it. Caught my typo as well.
The women's teeth aren't any better. What do certain men do with their gums? And how do you know?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
The women's teeth aren't any better. What do certain men do with their gums? And how do you know?
How would I know (Americans have nice teeth)? As I mentioned, nothing was posted. It disappeared into cyberspace. Someone (how about me?) needs to stop or it will keep getting lower in the gutter. Hughes fans need to stick together and respect the rules of his forum.

Last edited by Play The Man; 12-24-2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Added question mark
Old 12-24-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
You are obviously either a psychic or a pompous twat. Flip a coin.
I like you, Blade, but you're as wrong as you can be. Why don't you take part in the discussion instead of juvenile name-calling?

Quote:
I respect the messages, boundaries and signals people purposefully set or send. If I sit next to a person on an airplane and they have earphones on their head, have a closed body-posture, are facing away from me, and they are looking down reading a magazine, I take the hint and do not disturb them. Either they are busy with something else or they are pretending to be busy with something else. In either case, the message is received and I respect their privacy and do not bother them by striking up a conversation. In nature, a cat bristles up her fur and hisses as a signal to back off and stay away. A dog growls. A rattlesnake rattles. Signal sent. Signal received. Signal respected.

A lock is put on a shed door. It is a sign of private property. Keep out. Do not enter. Message sent. Message received. Message respected. Same with "Keep off the lawn" signs, Store "Closed" signs, etc.

Supposedly, ancient Britons painted themselves with woad in an attempt to appear more intimidating. Similarly, Mohawk haircuts have been adapted by punks and other counterculture groups as a form of intimidation. They send a message that rejects the concept of beauty and promotes ugliness. It is a way to wordlessly say, "I despise your idea of beauty. I hate your culture. I am an intimidating person. You don't have the guts to say anything about my disrespect." I receive the message the person is sending. I respect it. I send a message back. If you dress and groom in that fashion then you can accept the consequences of your message. I don't like for people to try to intimidate me. I will not buy anything from your business. You will not interact with my wife or children. I will not pay for any of the messes you make out of your life. I will not hire you for a job. I will not trust you. I will not allow you to hurt me or anybody I know or love. If I see you step up your intimidation, I will do what I can under the power of law to stop you.

The person who freely and purposely sends out these signals may have some redeeming qualities - how can I know?. Symbols have meaning. Wearing a swastika makes a statement. The wearer is appropriating the history behind that symbol. They are sending the message. I am reacting to the warning signal. I will not feel bad obeying a traffic light. A person cannot have it both ways. You can't complain about people being wary of you when you put out a "beware" sign.
Well said as always, PTM. You posts are typically food for thought and I appreciate your common sense viewpoints and calm nature.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 12-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I like you, Blade, but you're as wrong as you can be. Why don't you take part in the discussion instead of juvenile name-calling?

Well said as always, PTM. You posts are typically food for thought and I appreciate your common sense viewpoints and calm nature.
If every post was sensible, then there'd be no such thing as sensible.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
If every post was sensible, then there'd be no such thing as sensible.
I can't figure out if that is incredibly profound . . . or absolute rubbish.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:45 AM

In case I am coming off wrong, make no mistake, I want the best for this kid. I want him to have a good, successful life. I am just concerned that he is on the path to become another Junie Browning trainwreck. He can probably beat up 9,999 of 10,000 males in his peer group. Unless he is very disciplined and is guided by a firm hand, he could very easily become an evil bully.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:50 AM
Blade

Quote:
I can't figure out if that is incredibly profound . . . or absolute rubbish.
You only have a concept of sense because of the contrast that nonsense makes with it. One can't exist without the other.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:52 AM
suntereo

Quote:
In case I am coming off wrong, make no mistake, I want the best for this kid. I want him to have a good, successful life. I am just concerned that he is on the path to become another Junie Browning trainwreck. He can probably beat up 9,999 of 10,000 males in his peer group. Unless he is very disciplined and is guided by a firm hand, he could very easily become an evil bully.
well put - he has great opportunity and that is a huge responsibility. From what I've seen and heard he's a great kid with great parents. Not too sure about the pink mohawk and singlet he's sporting lately but if Rick Franklin can wear pink short than he can too.... I guess
Old 12-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Blade

Quote:
If this kid is allowed to keep this look, he will be unemployable (other than a professional wrestler, bar bouncer, or meth cook). If you want me to mind my own business, then when the government comes to my doorstep to confiscate part of my paycheck to pay for his unemployment, pay for his prison time, pay for his illegitimate child, pay for his STD, pay for drug rehab, etc., etc., etc. can I tell the IRS agent to mind his own business?
Come on man, it's just a haircut. If our futures were determined by what kinda haircut we had when we were 7 years old, I'd be some friggin' rentboy chained to Boy George's radiator by now!
Old 12-24-2011, 02:09 AM

Quote:
You only have a concept of sense because of the contrast that nonsense makes with it. One can't exist without the other.
OK, I'll play along. Couldn't "sense" be restated as a true representation of a truth? Doesn't ultimate truth merge with ultimate goodness? If goodness is existent unto itself (a positive) and doesn't require evil for its existence (unlike evil, which requires good), couldn't "sense" (truth) be evident and existent without "nonsense" because it is derivative from goodness?

For further discussion, you will have to continue with VCURamFan, the philosophy major. I will quickly be out of my "kiddie pool" depth in philosophy.