Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 12-23-2011, 05:53 AM

Default My Trip To The Library

My child just got a library card and we have gone a couple times now to check out books at the library. I am a bibliophile. I have a home library with over 1,000 books. In addition, we have several hundred childrens books. My point is, we are not anti-book, anti-education, etc. The first trip, they had a display set up in the pre-school/Kindergarten section with a recommended book for small children. Can you guess the title? No, not The Three Little Bears . . . No, not Brown Bear, Brown Bear . . . No, not Goodnight Moon.

A description from the School Library Journal

Quote:
Grade 1–4—This gem of a book illustrates how love makes a family, even if it's not a traditional one. The narrator, a black girl, describes how her two Caucasian mothers, Marmee and Meema, adopted her, her Asian brother, and her red-headed sister. She tells about the wonderful times they have growing up in Berkeley, CA. With their large extended family and friends, they celebrate Halloween with homemade costumes, build a tree house, organize a neighborhood block party, and host a mother-daughter tea party. The narrator continually reinforces the affectionate feelings among her mothers and siblings, and the illustrations depict numerous scenes of smiling people having a grand time. Most of the neighbors are supportive, except for one woman who tells Marmee and Meema, "I don't appreciate what you two are." Eventually, the children grow up, marry heterosexual spouses, and return home to visit their aged parents with their own children. Is this an idealized vision of a how a gay couple can be accepted by their family and community? Absolutely. But the story serves as a model of inclusiveness for children who have same-sex parents, as well as for children who may have questions about a "different" family in their neighborhood. A lovely book that can help youngsters better understand their world.

A couple weeks later, I go back to the library. They have rotated a new book into the display as a recommeded book for preschool/Kindergarten students. Any guesses as to the title? No, not Dr. Seuss . . . No, not The Poky Little Puppy . . . No, not Thomas The Tank Engine

Quote:
Dyson loves the color pink and sparkly things. Sometimes he wears dresses, and sometimes he wears jeans. He likes to wear his princess tiara, even when climbing trees. He’s a Princess Boy, and his family loves him exactly the way he is.
Between federal, state, local, and sales taxes, our family is paying somewhere between 40-50% of our gross income on taxes. I am paying for this stuff. The classic childrens books are old, moldy, smelly, ripped, and stained. All the new books for children are essentially left-wing indoctrination or involve stories from third world countries. I don't know if I will be taking my children back to the library. I asked if they had an "adopt-a-book" program where I could purchase and donate a book of my choosing. The answer: no. Essentially, a left-leaning, unelected, nameless librarian gets to use my tax money to indoctrinate children. Why does a 4-year-old have to be taught about gender identity disorder, cross-dressing and lesbianism? Of course, if I disagree with this policy, I hate children and am against education.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:41 AM

Pathetic, isn't it, PTM? I assume you're in a very blue city - as are we.

It wouldn't be quite as bad if they offered the wonderful children's books that we all enjoyed from years past as well. But they aren't even willing to do that.

Just another reason some of my friends home-school.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 12-23-2011, 06:52 AM

The liberal agenda for kids:

Age inappropriate books that offer one viewpoint.

Lunches with only those foods approved by the government.

If you bring your lunch you had better not use a *gasp* plastic bag of some sort.

3 meals supplied by the government.

Everone wins at sports and games, no "losers".

No grades, too competitive.

No red pen corrections, too "stressful", purple is much nicer.

No kickball, too violent.

"Alternate" history books.

Political indoctrination, mmm, mmm, mmm.

No God.

No Easter.

No Christmas.

No Jesus.

The list goes on ad nauseum.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
The liberal agenda for kids:

Age inappropriate books that offer one viewpoint.

Lunches with only those foods approved by the government.

If you bring your lunch you had better not use a *gasp* plastic bag of some sort.

3 meals supplied by the government.

Everone wins at sports and games, no "losers".

No grades, too competitive.

No red pen corrections, too "stressful", purple is much nicer.

No kickball, too violent.

"Alternate" history books.

Political indoctrination, mmm, mmm, mmm.

No God.

No Easter.

No Christmas.

No Jesus.

The list goes on ad nauseum.
Agree. The list goes on ad infinitum
Old 12-23-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Pathetic, isn't it, PTM? I assume you're in a very blue city - as are we.

It wouldn't be quite as bad if they offered the wonderful children's books that we all enjoyed from years past as well. But they aren't even willing to do that.

Just another reason some of my friends home-school.
Flo, I am getting fed up. We are taxed like crazy - as I mentioned, between all the layers of taxes and fees we are somewhere between 40% and 50%. And what do I get for it? The library is filled with old books in bad condition except for the crazy left-leaning new ones. The school system is such a wreck, we pay $10K per-child per-year for private school. I can't take my kids to the park because homeless drug addicts are literally camped out in tents on the park property. They have been joined recently by an "Occupy" group. The park bathrooms double as a hook-up spots for homosexuals to use the stalls for anonymous sexual encounters. The last time I walked through the major city park with my daughter, there was a used condom on the ground next to a park bench and the garbage cans reeked of human urine because homeless people were using them as urinals.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:04 PM
rearnakedchoke

if human rights doesn't allow discrimination towards people who are gay and in some states same sex couples are allowed to adopt, i don't see an isssue with these books ... as a parent, if i see something that i don't agree with, it is my responsibility to talk to my child about why i feel the way i do ... you can't give someone a right or a freedom and then say here you go, but keep it quiet ..
Old 12-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
you can't give someone a right or a freedom and then say here you go, but keep it quiet ..
Unless we're talking about freedom of religion and that person just happens to be a Christian. Then they better keep quiet to prevent being labeled as a closed-minded, uneducated, homophobic racist.

Not a dig at you, but just revealing the hypocrisy inherent in the Progressive Liberal agenda.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:23 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Unless we're talking about freedom of religion and that person just happens to be a Christian. Then they better keep quiet to prevent being labeled as a closed-minded, homophobic racist.
well, Christianity isn't the only religion that believe homosexuality is a sin
Old 12-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Primadawn

My 9 year old 3rd grader came home from school a few weeks ago with a book she said the librarian (the SCHOOL librarian) recommended to her. Her friend had tried to check it out, but her reading level restricts her to certain color-coded books. For my Maggie, her reading level is such that NO books in the whole library are restricted to her. This library services K-8!

The book? "Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret." Maggie's name is Margaret so the librarian thought that was "cute". Well, I read that book in 6th or 7th grade, so I knew it was totally inappropriate for a 3rd grader. It has references to girls getting their periods for the first time (which we haven't even discussed yet), references to looking at naked women in Playboy to see what they'll look like someday, and references to looking at diagrams of naked men in the encyclopedia.

I was livid! Sent a nice letter to the teacher and principal, along with the book, but haven't heard anything back yet. They have until the next school board meeting to respond, or we'll discuss it there.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 PM

rnc, the big problem with these books is...they are not age-appropriate. Why on earth does a 5 year-old need to know about different sexual preferences? Maybe I'm wildy out of touch but when we were 5 we had no clue about anything sexual.

But the left just wants to shove this stuff down everyone's throat, regardless of personal feelings or beliefs. Just more nanny-state BS.