Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > The Ultimate Fighter

Old 12-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnP View Post
Just announced vitor and wanndy are the coaches
Wow, I guess I will support Team Belfort.. Lol..
Old 12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
That would have been a joke.. Aside from Munoz what MMA fighters came out of the Phillipines?
I already somewhat answered this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
i don't understand that .. were they going to be filipino mma fighters? there aren't any currently in big league mma, well no one big, i mean, there is munoz who is american .. he should change his nickname to "the american wrecking machine of filipino descent" ... and their was the one guy on Tuf, but he was cut .. or were they going to fly american's etc into the philipines?
I'm not sure how they planned to do that actually. I was kind of thinking maybe it would only air in the Philippines. There's a small faction of fighters there and people who follow the sport so I was guessing it would be all Filipino fighters with some American trainers or maybe Munoz against somebody else, I dunno.

GSP was there a not too long ago visiting Pacquiao during his training and when he stepped outside on his hotel balcony, the traffic stopped, and everybody started looking up at him. He said it was overwhelming but cool as he didn't know he would be that noticeable there (except for the white skin of course, lol).

BTW, I lol'ed on your nickname for Munoz. His parents are full-blooded Filipinos (I believe his father was in the U.S. Navy) as he was born on a U.S. military base in Japan, they later moved to Cali.
Aside from the above, there are probably a few more reasons why Dana was looking at the Philippines:
  • There are already some MMA leagues there. With stick fighting as the official national sport, there's no reason this sport won't grow there in due time.
  • You're talking about a country with 90+ million people, it's a big market (one of the top 10 countries by population).
  • It is 1 of 3 Asian countries where English is an official language.
  • Besides, half of the people on the planet reside in Asia so it could be an attempt to grow the UFC in that market. Especially in a country where the fighters would be VERY hungry!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:51 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnP View Post
Just announced vitor and wanndy are the coaches
Indeed they were:

Quote:
Vitor Belfort vs. Wanderlei Silva as Ultimate Fighter Brazil Coaches

The UFC is ready for the first international season of its longstanding reality show The Ultimate Fighter, and on Tuesday UFC President Dana White announced that Vitor Belfort and Wanderlei Silva will be the coaches of The Ultimate Fighter Brazil, which will make its debut this spring.

"This show in the United States is huge -- it's one of the longest-running reality shows," White said at a press conference in Rio de Janeiro. "It's incredibly popular, it's been huge for us there. We think it's going to be 1,000 times bigger in Brazil. The amount of talent that's in this country right now? There's an undiscovered Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo, Vitor Belfort or Wanderlei Silva."

Belfort and Silva are both very popular fighters among Brazilian MMA fans (and Belfort is also known even among non-MMA fans because his wife, Joana Prado, is an actress and model), and the fight between the two coaches after the season will be a very big deal in Brazil. But that fight will be a long way off: Belfort first has to fight Anthony Johnson at UFC 142 in January, and the Belfort-Silva fight won't take place until after the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter Brazil, likely early in the summer.

The UFC has a deal lined up for Brazilian television, although it is not yet known how American fans can watch the show. The Ultimate Fighter Brazil Finale will air live in both Brazil and the United States.

Belfort vs. Silva will be a rematch 14 years in the making for the two fighters -- the two of them met in the first UFC Brazil show in 1998. That night, Belfort exploded across the Octagon and drilled Silva with hard punches, needing just 44 seconds to win by TKO. But both Belfort and Silva said they don't think that fight is particularly relevant today.

"It's a great honor to fight against Wanderlei," Belfort said. "I see it as a new fight and not a rematch."

"I think the first fight was very quick, I couldn't perform as well as I wanted to," Silva said. "I think this is one of the biggest rematches in all of modern MMA and I'm very pleased to give this to my fans and to once again fight in Brazil. This is a dream."

Tryouts for The Ultimate Fighter Brazil are taking place this week, and the UFC is expected to announce the cast members in early 2012.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I already somewhat answered this...

Aside from the above, there are probably a few more reasons why Dana was looking at the Philippines:
  • There are already some MMA leagues there. With stick fighting as the official national sport, there's no reason this sport won't grow there in due time.
  • You're talking about a country with 90+ million people, it's a big market (one of the top 10 countries by population).
  • It is 1 of 3 Asian countries where English is an official language.
  • Besides, half of the people on the planet reside in Asia so it could be an attempt to grow the UFC in that market. Especially in a country where the fighters would be VERY hungry!
I noticed that you already answered after I posted.. Sorry dawg..
Old 12-13-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
I noticed that you already answered after I posted.. Sorry dawg..
No worries, just had to give you crap!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 AM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Wow, I guess I will support Team Belfort.. Lol..
Me too

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 12-21-2011, 08:51 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

UFC Quick Quote: Wanderlei Silva saving Brazilian crackheads on TUF Brazil

Quote:

Quote:
"There are many things they do on the American show that I particularly donít think is nice. I believe we gotta sell the sport as it is. Martial arts are about respect, discipline, posture. And thatís what theyíll see happening here, but itís not going to be messy. Not in my side, at least. But people will have to sign a deal on which they say that if they mess up with me, itíll get ugly. I wanna show the good side of the martial arts, show the positive aspects of practicing martial arts and make it popular to people who has never watched MMA in their lives, and maybe help people who do many things wrong, like doing crack and other drugs. Sometimes it happens because the guy doesnít have anything to do, his friend starts doing it and he goes and does it. I guess we gotta bring these guys from the bad side and show them some things that are good, thatís my mission."
Put the pipe down and get your ass in the gym. That's the message from mixed martial arts megastar Wanderlei Silva (via Tatame.com), who travels back to his native homeland to coach an upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Brazil opposite fellow countryman and longtime rival Vitor Belfort. "The Axe Murderer," who rose to prominence in PRIDE and then again in the UFC, is ready to give back to the sport that made him financially secure by taking on a team of up-and-coming fighters from the mean streets of Brazil. Anyone think Wandy is being melodramatic?