Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 11-27-2011, 12:06 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
JB it is real hard to care when they are crying that hudreds of thousands and some millions of dollars are not enough to put a ball in a hoop. When entertainers of all persuasion get paid more than teachers and such you know America has a screwed up value system. I love the NBA but this lock out was stupid.
Hey, I hated this lockout too, but it's not fair to compare industries when it comes to professional athletes and teachers. Teachers get paid according to how it plays out in the grand scheme of the budget in a local area based on taxes.. The NBA generates billions of dollars all over the world independently. It's real easy to criticize throwing a ball in a hoop, but if you or I could do it better we would be, and we would be getting paid good to do it because it's a product that people WANT to spend money on.

Sure, there a lot of teachers that contribute more to the world than basketball can, but there are also a lot of teachers who ain't worth crap but they get paid just the same or even more sometimes than those who are better. Just like the NBA. The biggest problem with players contracts recently has been B-level guys getting WAY overpaid in terms of contribution to the team.

We all hate the idea of "billionaires arguing millionaires", especially when most of us barely have a pot to piss in, but the fact is that this is capitalism. I prefer this over living in North Korea
Old 11-27-2011, 12:44 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
As a Knick fan from the 90's I hate everything there is about Jordan. He was the epitome of a Ball hog and Phil Jackson is an idiot. Now I feel better
Do you really feel better? :

Because the Knicks still got nothing in the Ewing era.

Jordan is the ultimate ball-hog, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe it's just me, and I have some "trust issues", but there isn't a person walking the Earth I trust more than Michael Jordan with a basketball in his hands. I will admit, I am totally, completely, 100% biased about this issue. Michael Jordan is the best basketball player EVER.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:29 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post

Jordan is the ultimate ball-hog, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe it's just me, and I have some "trust issues", but there isn't a person walking the Earth I trust more than Michael Jordan with a basketball in his hands. I will admit, I am totally, completely, 100% biased about this issue. Michael Jordan is the best basketball player EVER.
i hated jordan growing up ... before the raptors, i was a piston fan and although they roughed him up good, he had the last laugh (especially making sure isaiah wasn't on the dream team) ... but yeah, he is the greatest ball player ever ... guys like kobe, lebron ... they can't even be mentioned in the same sentence ...
Old 11-28-2011, 01:06 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Hey, I hated this lockout too, but it's not fair to compare industries when it comes to professional athletes and teachers. Teachers get paid according to how it plays out in the grand scheme of the budget in a local area based on taxes.. The NBA generates billions of dollars all over the world independently. It's real easy to criticize throwing a ball in a hoop, but if you or I could do it better we would be, and we would be getting paid good to do it because it's a product that people WANT to spend money on.

Sure, there a lot of teachers that contribute more to the world than basketball can, but there are also a lot of teachers who ain't worth crap but they get paid just the same or even more sometimes than those who are better. Just like the NBA. The biggest problem with players contracts recently has been B-level guys getting WAY overpaid in terms of contribution to the team.

We all hate the idea of "billionaires arguing millionaires", especially when most of us barely have a pot to piss in, but the fact is that this is capitalism. I prefer this over living in North Korea
It it were true capitalism than the players would not be able to unionize and force the hands of the greedy owners. The real problem is not the player or the owners it is the fan who shovel the money into it and cause them a reason to whine.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Chris F

Quote:

Yeah that era was filled of what if's and not there yet. Even when they had it in their court they tanked to the rockets. I was a Knick fan mostly because when I played in college they nick named me John Starks. I played with a lot of emotion and lived and dies by my 3 point shot. I even head butted a guy in a game just like he did to Reggie Miller. It was so bad they even made me wear #3 So yes I hate Jordan and Jackson with a passion. And like you I am 100% biased.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:52 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
It it were true capitalism than the players would not be able to unionize and force the hands of the greedy owners. The real problem is not the player or the owners it is the fan who shovel the money into it and cause them a reason to whine.
The same could be said for many industries.

I'm not the biggest fan of unions, and they can be just as greedy and corrupt as anything else in this world. Heck, even in this case some people could make the argument that Derek Fisher (head of the players union) doesn't have the long term interests of the players in mind because he's at the end of his playing career. However, I will say that professional sports and most other unionized industries are typically FAR apart in terms of how replaceable the "workers" are. For example, it's a lot easier to teach somebody how to work on an assembly line in Detroit making cars than it is to be one of the 450 men in the world who get to put on an NBA jersey every season.

I get your point though, and I can't say I disagree with anything you said.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:57 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Yeah that era was filled of what if's and not there yet. Even when they had it in their court they tanked to the rockets. I was a Knick fan mostly because when I played in college they nick named me John Starks. I played with a lot of emotion and lived and dies by my 3 point shot. I even head butted a guy in a game just like he did to Reggie Miller. It was so bad they even made me wear #3 So yes I hate Jordan and Jackson with a passion. And like you I am 100% biased.
So as a Knick fan, what do you think of the current team?

Personally, I will always be an Amar'e Stoudimire fan, so I am kinda pulling for the Knicks right now (even though I'm already a Bulls and a Suns guy lol). You guys also have D'antoni, who basically groomed Amar'e and the Suns 8 second offense, not to mention picking up Carmelo Anthony. It's too bad the Chris Paul thing didn't happen, because that would have set up an awesome storyline in the East for seasons to come.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Chris F

Quote:
So as a Knick fan, what do you think of the current team?

Personally, I will always be an Amar'e Stoudimire fan, so I am kinda pulling for the Knicks right now (even though I'm already a Bulls and a Suns guy lol). You guys also have D'antoni, who basically groomed Amar'e and the Suns 8 second offense, not to mention picking up Carmelo Anthony. It's too bad the Chris Paul thing didn't happen, because that would have set up an awesome storyline in the East for seasons to come.
TBH I have not watched much. Now that I am in Oklahoma I tend to follow the Thunder more. However my wife makes it a point when we can afford it to get me Thunder vs Knicks tickets for my birthday because they always play around that time. The new team is a lot stronger than they have been for the last 5 years. So we will see this year.