Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 11-21-2011, 01:11 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
Revenue sharing is the issue, and they missed about half of the 98-99 season

The sticking point is the players received 57% of league revenue on the previous collective bargaining agreement, but the owners are offering a 50 50 split at best and the players don't want to reduce that much. But the thing is, 50% would still be one of the best deals in pro sports
You are leaving out some key elements.

1)The players came down to like 52 or 53 % because they understand the economy has changed since the last CBA. That roughly came out to something like a half a billion dollars.

2) The 50-50 deal offered by the owners wasn't REALLY 50-50...it was based on certain criteria being met, and the truth is over half the owners did NOT like the deal and didn't want the players to take it. The 50-50 deal and it's "deadline" was just a tactic by Stern and the NBA. They knew that wasnt gonna fly.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:15 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
wrong
Matter of opinion, but I'd rather watch a junior hockey game over the NBA
Old 11-21-2011, 01:18 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
I love hockey, don't get me wrong, but I think growing up around Chicago in the Jordan era kinda embedded basketball into my DNA. Not everybody appreciates basketball, but for those who do (and its a lot more of the world than hockey), the NBA is the best of the best.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:23 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
I love hockey, don't get me wrong, but I think growing up around Chicago in the Jordan era kinda embedded basketball into my DNA. Not everybody appreciates basketball, but for those who do (and its a lot more of the world than hockey), the NBA is the best of the best.
I grew up in Illinois in the Jordan era, so I loved it too, but its not the same NBA as it was back then. I love watching a few guys play, but in I can hardly sit through an NBA game against two random middle of the pack teams
Old 11-21-2011, 01:39 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
I grew up in Illinois in the Jordan era, so I loved it too, but its not the same NBA as it was back then. I love watching a few guys play, but in I can hardly sit through an NBA game against two random middle of the pack teams
Last season was as exciting as it's been since the 90's. I agree, some teams are tough to watch, but the NFL and MLB is like that too.

The 80's and 90's were so good, we were spoiled as NBA fans. Thats not to say the talent in the last decade isn't great, because it is, I just think that Jordan impacted the game so much on a global scale it was hard to go anywhere but down after he left for good.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:38 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
yes, matter of opinion .. i grew up here in canada and still can't watch hockey ... to me its just a boring game, just like some see basketball, soccer etc as boring ... well, i shouldn't say i can't watch hockey .. love international hockey at the pro and jr. levels ... something about playing for ones country and brings out the beast ... LOL
Old 11-26-2011, 10:54 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

NBA is back!!!

Can't wait to go buy some Suns tickets
Old 11-26-2011, 11:01 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Players gave back around 1.2 billion dollars. I feel like they got shafted, but as a fan I'm just happy to have basketball again.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Chris F

JB it is real hard to care when they are crying that hudreds of thousands and some millions of dollars are not enough to put a ball in a hoop. When entertainers of all persuasion get paid more than teachers and such you know America has a screwed up value system. I love the NBA but this lock out was stupid.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Chris F

Quote:
As a Knick fan from the 90's I hate everything there is about Jordan. He was the epitome of a Ball hog and Phil Jackson is an idiot. Now I feel better