Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 10-27-2011, 12:23 AM
rearnakedchoke

Default Matt at 155

So reading recently that Matt's weight cuts are easier these days losing only a few pounds on weigh-in day, I am wondering if he has ever thought of making 155 ... There was an interview the other that where Firas (GSP's trainer) said the GSP is closer to making 155 than competing at 185 ... it must also be the same for Matt .. i don't know if a weight change makes sense at this point in his career, but if a title shot is in the future, it may ...

maybe we'll hear from the big guy his self
Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 AM
Administrator

I don't ever want to see Matt cut to 155 pounds, not even for a title shot. Of course, I'd support him 100% if he did make that decision, but I hope it never happens.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:33 AM
3dlee

i mean, sherk did it. im not positive, but they seem pretty comparable in size, right? i think matt's skills are better than Maynard's by far. it would work in theory lol. i dont care what weight class he fights in, but i really do hope to see matt fight more. not just one more, several more. lol. but thats just me being a selfish fan.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
So reading recently that Matt's weight cuts are easier these days losing only a few pounds on weigh-in day, I am wondering if he has ever thought of making 155 ... There was an interview the other that where Firas (GSP's trainer) said the GSP is closer to making 155 than competing at 185 ... it must also be the same for Matt .. i don't know if a weight change makes sense at this point in his career, but if a title shot is in the future, it may ...

maybe we'll hear from the big guy his self
I find that hard to believe. Could this be Georges and his camp's way of trying to avoid moving up to 185 and fighting Anderson by saying he's closer to 155 than 185? What prompted Firas to say this...was there a question asked, or did he conveniently slip that tidbit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I don't ever want to see Matt cut to 155 pounds, not even for a title shot. Of course, I'd support him 100% if he did make that decision, but I hope it never happens.
I agree, I think 155 would be too low a weight for Matt.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:34 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I find that hard to believe. Could this be Georges and his camp's way of trying to avoid moving up to 185 and fighting Anderson by saying he's closer to 155 than 185? What prompted Firas to say this...was there a question asked, or did he conveniently slip that tidbit in?

I agree, I think 155 would be too low a weight for Matt.
i think he just mentioned that gsp could make 155, not that they had any intentions of fighting there ... and i would love for matt to fight at 155 and have had two titles in two weight classes ..
Old 10-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Administrator

i have thought about it......
Old 10-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt hughes View Post
Awesome
Old 10-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dlee View Post
i mean, sherk did it. im not positive, but they seem pretty comparable in size, right? i think matt's skills are better than Maynard's by far. it would work in theory lol. i dont care what weight class he fights in, but i really do hope to see matt fight more. not just one more, several more. lol. but thats just me being a selfish fan.
I think Sherk is shorter than Matt. I haven't taken the time to look at their stats to double check(I'm lazy) however I met Matt for the first time at the same time and place I met Sherk and Sherk wouldn't stand up to take a picture with me. I'm fairly tall for a woman and he would have looked tiny next to me. Matt is just a tad shorter than I am. Maybe it just seems Matt is taller to me because I have such a high opinion of him.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 10-27-2011, 08:46 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt hughes View Post
that would be awesome ... bring it up with dana .. if he gave randy a shot at hw, you should get a shot at frankie ...
Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I think Sherk is shorter than Matt. I haven't taken the time to look at their stats to double check(I'm lazy) however I met Matt for the first time at the same time and place I met Sherk and Sherk wouldn't stand up to take a picture with me. I'm fairly tall for a woman and he would have looked tiny next to me. Matt is just a tad shorter than I am. Maybe it just seems Matt is taller to me because I have such a high opinion of him.

~Amy
i think matt has a great shot at making 155 and doing well there .. if guys like jones and cruz can make weight at their respective heights ... yes, matt has a different body than those two .. but i think its real plausable ...