Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > The Ultimate Fighter

Old 10-13-2011, 07:21 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default John Dodson's TUF 14 Sherblog

Just found this & I'm pretty stoked, because Dodson's my pick for the BWs. I saw him fight here in VA the first time I ever met Matt. It was a UWC (Ultimate Warrior Combat) event & the main event was a title fight between Dodson & Mike Easton, a local Washington, D.C. guy. The fight was amazing & Dodson handed Easton his only pro loss that night. Easton just won his UFC debut at UFC Live 6 & Dodson is fighting his way into the UFC at the same time, which I think is pretty cool. Anyhow, here's his TUF 14.01 blog:

Quote:
First of all, walking into Mandalay Bay was a trip for me, because it was cool to see and really realize that this might be where I'll be fighting one day for the UFC.

As we kept on walking in, when I saw Dana White and the cage sitting there, I had a huge Chuck E. Cheese smile on my face. As I walked up to them, I got so excited -- too excited.

Good thing they didn't show this in the episode, but I tried to be all cool, not using the stairs and jumping into the cage. Well, it didn't go as planned: I biffed and unceremoniously slid my way in. The only thing going through my mind was, "Well, this is a good start. Can't ever be any more embarrassing that."

Dana White told us that we were going be fighting there at Mandalay Bay, and if we made it into the house, we would have a chance to get bonuses, including $25,000 bonuses that the fans get to vote on for the best fight, knockout, and submission of the season.

I know I want to walk away with at least two of those bonuses if I can. "Fight of the Season" I know I can get, because every fight that I'm is an exciting fight. I feel like I just gotta work on trying to get one of the other bonuses. However, it might be a little harder because of the talent pool for this season being so deep.

Watching all the fights to get into the house made that seem like a difficult goal. All the fighters looked really tough, so it's stupid on my part to think that they'll just hand me a knockout or submission that I want.

Meeting the coaches... they weren't what I thought they were. In this case, I thought they were a little bit smaller on TV then they were in real life. Granted, everyone is taller than me, but what's new?

That said, knowing that these two were the coaches, with their personalities, I knew no matter what happened, that this is season was going to be amazing. Then, of course, throwing me into the mix of things, it will be chaos.

Fight time came around and I felt like I was home. Getting my hands wrapped and see them write "UF" (Ultimate Fighter) on my hand wraps, I knew that I was where I need to be. It was kinda weird not having any fans to fight for, though. All of a sudden, I'm on one of the biggest stages to be on and only Dana White, the coaches and few other people were there. It was way too quiet for what I'm used to. I remember waiting for someone to start booing or yell out, "Bite his ear off." It's the only thing that I ever hear from the crowd when I'm fighting.

The guy I fought to get into the house was Brandon Merkt. He's one of the top flyweights here in the United States, with an impressive record, 11-0, so I knew who he was, and was ready for a scrap.

To make a long story short, I was just the better man that night. I know it's not the end of the line for Brandon in the UFC. Since Dana White is talking about bringing in the flyweights into the UFC in the near future, I know it won't be long until I have to fight him again.

Speaking of flyweights, two flyweights other than myself made into the house: Josh "Taz" Ferguson and Louis "Goodnight" Gaudinot. Naturally, you know who I'm gonna side with in the house, other than my very own teammate at Team Jackson-Winkeljohn, featherweight Diego Brandao. I know that I might have to fight one of them on the show or even later down the road, but since the UFC hasn't added a flyweight class into the organization, we all have to step up and make a statement.

So, all you flyweights out there watching this season, know that we're gonna give Dana more than a reason to add us in the UFC and have flyweight main events really, really soon.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:12 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

TUF 14.02 blog:

Quote:
Seeing the place where I would be staying for the next six weeks was amazing. The house was redone and, more importantly, it was huge. First thing was first: I wanted to make sure that I got the bed that I wanted. I know some of the others wanted to look around first, but knowing that I was gonna be stuck there, I was looking for a room where I could get along with my roommates and be with people who were there for the same thing: just having fun.

Being in this house was a once-in-a-lifetime thing, so I didn’t want to always be around people who just talked about training, fights, missing people, home or anything else like that. There’s more to life than that, and I was going to enjoy every moment I was there.

We had a daily schedule that was posted up every week, and since we saw that we had a while before the first fight was picked, we thought we should celebrate with a barbecue. I just didn’t know that Louis Gaudinot and I were gonna be the ones cooking the whole time. We’ll see how long that lasts.

On the day teams were picked, I was sweating hard. Honestly, I was trying not to be on Michael Bisping’s team. I know that he won “TUF” and that two guys he coached won “TUF,” too, but I was trying to have fun. Being on Mayhem’s team seemed like more fun, and it seemed like I would learn a lot from him and his coaching staff, too. They were picking teams and Bisping wanted first pick. Immediately, I was thinking in my head, “Oh, crap, he’s gonna pick me first.”

Then, Bisping call Louis’ name.

I’m not gonna lie: I was a little offended that I wasn’t first pick. But I was Mayhem’s first pick and I was on the team that I wanted to be on, so I can’t really complain too much. I got basically what I wanted.

Louis and I were staring at each other, saying, “A flyweight finale, let’s make it happen.” We even talked about, if we were both to make it to the final, cutting down to the lowest weight for bantamweight, 126 pounds, and making it an unofficial flyweight fight. Now that would be a fight to see and remember, so it’s up to us to make it happen.

My friend and teammate Diego Brandao was the first pick for the featherweights, but he wound up on Bisping’s team. I knew things were gonna be interesting because Diego and I both have the goal of getting to the finals, no matter what. I just knew that there was gonna be some leaked info between us to try to get us to the end of this, even if we weren’t on the same team. Keep an eye on me and Diego.

Practice with Team Mayhem was cool because he brought with him some world-class guys who would be able to help us out in any areas that we were weak in. Kamaru “Kush” Usman was an NCAA Division II wrestling champion and is now chasing the dream of becoming an Olympic champion, working out at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado. We also got to work with Danny Perez, a professional boxer and one of the few men to knock down Antonio Margarito.

For muay Thai, I knew it’d be great when I saw Melchor Menor, who has had an awesome career and was even featured on “Sports Science” to test out his kicking power. Mayhem, of course, is well-versed with his grappling skills, having the majority of his wins by submission. Lastly, Dr. Ryan Parsons was the mastermind to help out with the overall game, really making sure we were flowing between positions and breaking down our opponents.

Mayhem’s coaches and team showed me that he wasn’t just there to win and look better than Bisping, but also to get us the right kind of help that allowed us to get better at our own craft. He knew that we only had a few weeks, so he couldn’t change us as fighters entirely, but he could tweak the things we were good at to make us great at them.

The pranks, the pranks, the pranks. The pranks have just begun, people. It’s a snowflake before the blizzard. With Mayhem and the rest of us putting all the tires in Bisping’s dressing room, we were ensuring it would be a long and funny six weeks together.

For the fight, we called out Marcus Brimage to fight Brian Caraway. Caraway knew he had more fights than Brimage did, so he thought it wasn’t gonna be that tough of a fight. At weigh-ins, though, Bisping’s team had a different feeling about the fight, and came up with a song that expressed how they felt about Caraway.

At the end of the song, Brimage let out this cry. It was a battle cry, but a little high-pitched, so I would say that he let out a Gotenks scream. In case y’all don't know who Gotenks is, he’s a character from “Dragon Ball Z.” Brimage was right there with him.

The fight was one-sided in the first round, as Caraway took him down, took his back and stayed there the whole time. Brimage did land a good shot that puffed up Caraway’s eye, but that was it for that round. Second round came and Brimage was the fresher of the two, landing strikes and stopping some takedowns. Just when the fight looked like it was gonna turn, Caraway got that final takedown and it was over. 1-0 for Team Mayhem.

Now, we gotta wait and see who will be the first bantamweight to step up and get in the Octagon
Old 10-13-2011, 08:13 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

TUF 14.03 blog:

Quote:
First things first ... I forgot to let everyone know about the nicknames we all had. We all got our nicknames as soon as we won our fights to get into the house. No one got to choose, and we had to deal with it until we all figured out everyone’s real names. Plus, it was a fun way of breaking the ice between one other and seeing who you would get along with.

Here’s the list:

John Albert: Encino Man (looks like Brendan Fraser)
Johnny Bedford: Splinter (oldest on the show)
Roland Delorme: Sorcerer’s Apprentice (looks like Jay Baruchel)
T.J. Dillashaw: Vision Quest (looks like Shute from the movie)
John Dodson: Beetlejuice
Josh Ferguson: Brokeback
Louis Gaudinot: Jersey Green
Dustin Pague: Vanilla Ice
Stephen Bass: Peaches
Dennis Bermudez: Crixus (from “Spartacus” on Starz)
Diego Brandao: Boom
Marcus Brimage: Darkness
Bryan Caraway: Scareaway
Hamid Corassani: Borat
Dustin Neace: Triple Sac (has three testicles)
Steven Siler: Scuba Steve (has webbed toes)

Before the first practice after the first win for Team Mayhem, our coach, Jason “Mayhem” Miller, came in with some water noodles. I didn’t know what was going on, but I figured something was up because he was walking towards me. He wanted to make sure that we all knew the first rule of fighting: to keep yourself protected at all times. I heard him say that, and the first thing that came to mind was to defend myself and get a weapon. I wish a certain boxers could have been a part of that practice. No need to mention any names. It was a good way for us to get ready for the day and to just have fun -- something I was looking forward to while being in the house.

Fighting is serious work and you have to focus on the task at hand or you’ll lose, but why can’t you just let loose and have fun? Don’t we fight because we want to have fun and enjoy what we do for a living? I don’t know about you all, but that’s how I was raised: to have fun with everything you do because if you aren’t having fun, then you might want to think about quitting.

While we were in practice, the opposing coach, Michael Bisping, decided to pull off a prank of his own. He took all the tires off Mayhem’s car and put them in our dressing room. It was a tire for a tire, I guess.

I finally got to see part of the meltdown between Diego and Marcus. While I was in the house, I didn’t see any of it, but I know how Diego likes to spar and I knew that something was going to happen sooner or later. Watching these two spar and get after it, it looked like how Diego and I train normally when we’re back home at the Greg Jackson-Mike Winklejohn gym in New Mexico -- every day. I didn’t know what was going on, until I saw Marcus bump him and I knew that something was up. It was going to get bad because I told everyone the first day we all were in the house that “Diego will kill one of y’all if y’all try something.” Diego felt like Marcus was trying to go hard, so he went hard and it ended up turning into a real fight. Now, I was back at the house when all this happened, so I had to hear about it when the other team came back.

Diego was pissed off and told me that he didn’t like the black guy because he was trying to take his head off. He was still upset, and I’m not going to pretend that I knew what he was saying half of the time because he was speaking Portuguese -- and I don’t know any Portuguese. I went to Marcus to find out his side of the story and to see what was up because I kind of had an idea. I know how Diego is, but I wanted to make sure that I got it right and that I could get everything back on track. He told me what was going on, and I had to get them to a common understanding so that Diego could calm down and focus on why he was there. He wanted to go home, not back to Albuquerque, but back home to Brazil so that he could see his family again. He hadn’t seen them since he came to the U.S., and the show was his chance to make the money he needed to go back home and see everyone. I wasn’t going to let that incident be the reason for him not to do his best in the house.

There were only three flyweights in the house, so we all stuck together. We had our own little balcony that we claimed as our own. We marked our spot and were hoping to set the bar for the flyweights. We made a pact before team picks that we would help out each other. It just so happens that the people that I hung out with the most got picked to be on the other team. I knew that was going to be a bad situation. I got picked by the team that I wanted to be on, but I didn’t get the teammates that I wanted to hang out with.

If we look at the way it went down, there were five members member of Death Leprachauns. Yeah, I know it is spelled wrong, but none us in the house knew how to spell “leprechaun” at the time, so we left it the way it was. Then, Bedford chimed in and told us how it was supposed to look after we had already written it on the board. Whatever. Anyway, there were five Death Leprachauns on Team Bisping and only me on Team Mayhem. You all can guess how this went down. I helped them to help me.

Who were the members of DL? Well, I’m glad you asked. DL was me, Gaudinot, Ferguson, Corassani, Brimage and Brandao. We were grabbing life by the horns, which was the motto for the DL. When the time to pick the fight came around, the DL members knew who was going to be chosen because of me. I tried to give Josh a fighting chance. He knew who he was fighting. If they knew who they were fighting, they said they would help me get my first choice of the fight I wanted in the house.

Do you want to know who I wanted to fight? Well, you’ll have to wait and find out if they helped me get the fight I wanted for the information they were given.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

TUF 14.04 blog:

Quote:
Everyone is sitting there calling me a mole, a snitch, a rat, and so on. It’s because you are looking at this as a team sport, and you’ve got it all wrong.

The viewers are looking at this as Team Bisping versus Team Mayhem, and the better that a team does, the better everybody on that team will do. Eventually, someone will get a six-figure contract and the team will celebrate, right? Wrong.

This isn’t team versus team on TUF; this is two eight-man tournaments, and there’s only one guy from each weight class getting a contract. I’m looking at this like it’s “Survivor” or a competition like that: only one person can win. I liked “Mayhem” and everyone that he brought with him to help us out with training but, in the house, everyone would talk about teammates and sticking together. But the whole time, we were all looking at one other as our next opponent. The entire time we were in the house, everyone in the house was looking for ways to set up fights with one another downtheline.

It wasn’t like I hated anyone in the house or anything like that, but I knew that you had to play the game in order to win, to get as much info about your opponents while giving the least. This was widespread. Everyone in the house knew who they were fighting against before the coach’s pick because we called each other in the house. There were no secrets about who was going to fight who, no surprises. The only thing we didn’t know was the order of the fights they’d get picked in, but we knew which guys were going to get into the cage with one another. It was just a matter of waiting for each one to take place.

Besides, it’s not like I gave up info that could change the outcome of a match. Think about calling me a mole or a rat when Team Mayhem actually loses a fight in the competition, because right now it's 4-0 for us. Let’s see if what I did in the house was worth it in the end when the show is all over.

The two fights on this episode were good fights. Dennis’ fight was one-sided, since Bass couldn’t get Dennis off of him. Dennis would just put the pressure on Bass so that he couldn’t get up. It looked more like Dennis working a heavy bag or playing with a practice dummy rather than an actual fight. It was a beating.

Dustin’s fight with Louis was a battle. They kept on going back and forth with strikes. Louis just couldn’t get in past his reach. Dustin really made sure that he came in and executed his plan and controlled it for the whole fight. In the end, it was the fake green hair that won over the real green -- well, slightly more real green. I guess that’s why most men like fake boobs: they’re just a little bigger and really get the job done.

If people are keeping count, Death Leprechauns are 0-3 in the house. Marcus, Josh, and Louis have all fought and lost so far, leaving just Akira, Diego and me still waiting for our turn.

After all the wins to this point, Mayhem and the other coaches came over and had a BBQ to celebrate. It was like a victory party for each winning fighter. Mayhem would bring that fighter something, anything that they wanted to eat or drink. Dustin and Dennis asked for Pizza Hut pizza with breadsticks, and Dustin wanted a sundae. Sure enough, he brought the guys everything they wanted. And, even though they didn’t get whatever they wanted, everyone else got hooked up too, because I was cooking on the grill.

Well, we’re gonna have to see what happens next week now, ‘cause it sure looks like it’s going to be a good one.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
On the day teams were picked, I was sweating hard. Honestly, I was trying not to be on Michael Bisping’s team. I know that he won “TUF” and that two guys he coached won “TUF,” too, but I was trying to have fun. Being on Mayhem’s team seemed like more fun, and it seemed like I would learn a lot from him and his coaching staff, too. They were picking teams and Bisping wanted first pick. Immediately, I was thinking in my head, “Oh, crap, he’s gonna pick me first.”

He sounds like an arrogant ass to me. And he is not trustworty. He can say it is all about self in there and not teams but he is still a traitor. He also defends his deceit by saying that it didn't matter that he gave secrets to the other team. Then why do it? Just because it didn't effect the outcome, that doesn't change your intentions.

Jerk!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:29 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

As if I don't already have Neezar at my throat, here's the next installment of Dodson's blog!

Quote:
My boy, Diego, lost it pretty good this week. He got mad at Siler, not because he was pissed off at him but just because another week has gone by and he still hasn't fought yet. Diego is hating the house and is ready to fight, just because he wants to let out some frustration. Siler wanted to fight Diego right away, but Mayhem had a different plan in mind from the start.

Mayhem found out that I was the one that was giving up the fight picks to Team Bisping, so, to change it up on me, he wanted to let Dustin Neace fight Akira this time around. I knew I was going to get caught sooner or later, but I was hoping that it would be later, not sooner.

The night before the fight announcement, things got a little crazy. A whole night of pranks went off and I could’ve been the peacemaker -- the one that stopped this all from happening. However, they are all full-grown men and they were going to do whatever they wanted to. I’m not here to be a babysitter, after all. I knew this night would be crazy as hell.

Neace swaggerjacked Josh Ferguson by getting himself a cowboy hat and telling everyone that he had always wanted one. It was one thing that he was wearing it around the house, but he didn't have to write a giant B on the hat just like Josh has on his. Josh was fed up with it, and the night before fight picks, Josh got Neace's new hat and took a dump in it. He left it outside for him to find, trying to make sure that his message was sent and received, loud and clear.

On this crazy night, other people’s belonging were being messed with, as well. Some of them had Tiger Balm added to their deodorant and butt wipes. One room of guys had butt wipes, and the guys thought it would be funny to see and hear them scream in the morning after using the tampered butt wipes. Their toothbrushes were soaked in salt, too.

There’s prank that was played on this night that I can’t wait to see. I have a strong feeling that it will make it into an episode pretty soon. You won’t want to miss it.

The morning of the fight picks, Neace is thinking that it was Akira that took his hat and crapped in it. He took everything that was his and just wrecked it; everything he could find, he trashed. Even in the dressing room, he trashed everything all over again. He had flipped his lid and just couldn't take it any longer. I say good for him, because he was taking a lot of crap from everyone.

Dustin is that nice dude that means well and never wants to talk crap to anyone. No matter what was said in the house, he could always smile and turn the other cheek. For some reason, he just hated Akira. You have to hand to him, though, because when Dustin rages, he doesn't care about anything except ruining your life.

So at the fight announcement, everything just came pouring out. Mayhem let Neace get his fight, but he was ready to fight right then and there. He couldn't wait and just doubled-legged Akira out of nowhere. Akira defended it and then Neace threw up a submission. If that didn't make it bad enough, Mayhem and Bisping were going to get into a fight right there, as well. It was cool for me, though, because I love a good mini-riot.

In the first round, Neace found his range and was trying to get a hold of Akira, trying to end the fight. Akira actually followed him down, which was a bad move for Akira, because this crazy heel hook was thrown up and Akira was about to be finished real quickly.

Now, I saw it then and I saw it again: Akira tapped out. There is no doubt in my mind that he did. Akira, you're my friend and all, but you tapped out. Marcus will disagree with me and say that he saw some mosquitoes. He’ll say he watched Akira kill those mosquitoes, and it wasn't even close to a tap. Marcus, you know that it was a tap and you don't want to look like me and go against your team, but just call it like you saw it and just agree with me.

After the heel hook, round two was back-and-forth. Toward the end of the round, Akira dropped Neace with a left hook, which pretty much sealed it for him. I feel bad for Neace; he won that fight and shouldn't have been bounced out of the tournament like that. But Neace is a strong fighter and will be back in ready to win to his next fight in the UFC.

Now Bisping has control of the next fight pick. This whole time, I’ve been trying to set up one fight for myself. Maybe next week, I’ll finally get it.