Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-11-2011, 02:38 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
With that being said, my kids are very well behaved for a while after they get a spanking. I have jokingly said that maybe I should spank them every morning before school. Or at least every Monday.
that's what i do ... oh wait, we still talking about spanking children? nevermind ...
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-11-2011, 05:07 PM
CAVEMAN
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
NO ONE should beat their child as a form of discipline. We're talking about spanking, which is a completely different topic.

Every child is different and sometimes inflicting pain is the only way to effectively communicate with certain children. It's not about power (although every parent does need to establish themselves as having authority over their children) and it's not about bullying.

I do not have children, but I used to be one and I can honestly say that spanking was extremely effective for me. It was so effective that I got spanked less and less as I got older. I never once felt that my parents enjoyed spanking me and I never felt physically abused or oppressed by them. I was made to understand exactly what behavior I was getting spanked for (lying, stealing, setting things on fire in the living room while my dad took a nap, etc.) and I learned to simply not do the things that got me a spanking. I deserved every single spanking I got as a child and I am thankful to my parents for administering that discipline to me at such a young age.

Sounds like you and I had the same upbringing.........I thank my parents as well for disciplining me when I needed it!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-11-2011, 05:16 PM
CAVEMAN
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I remember one time, my mom broke a bread board on my butt!
We were on vacation and the paddle or belt was not close at hand, so the bread board was her only option.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-12-2011, 01:56 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
spanking is a nice term for beating ... makes it sound ok ... you even said you were hit with a belt or a switch ... that's hitting, spanking, beating, whatever you want to call it ... did getting beat as a kid mess me up for life? no, doesn't even bother me, did it make my or your parents bad parents? nope? i just think in most cases it is the easy way of getting a message across that what the kid did was wrong and most times can be avoided ...
That's like saying that sex is a nice term for rape thereby insinuating that all sex is ultimately a form of rape. Any person with a logical mind would understand that not all sex is rape. Likewise, any logical person would understand that not all spanking is beating. Spanking is when a parent uses physical punishment as a form of correction and instruction for their children, motivated out of love. Beating is when a parent simply wants to inflict physical pain on their children, motivated out of anger or as a form of retribution.

Did I say that I got spanked for EVERYTHING I did wrong? No. It wasn't always necessary and I didn't always get spanked. Sometimes the occasional harsh words of rebuke or a simple talking to did the job. Spanking was only used by my parents for acts of willful disobedience. In other words, when I knew that what I was doing was wrong, but chose to do those things anyway.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 17,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
That's like saying that sex is a nice term for rape thereby insinuating that all sex is ultimately a form of rape. Any person with a logical mind would understand that not all sex is rape. Likewise, any logical person would understand that not all spanking is beating. Spanking is when a parent uses physical punishment as a form of correction and instruction for their children, motivated out of love. Beating is when a parent simply wants to inflict physical pain on their children, motivated out of anger or as a form of retribution.

Did I say that I got spanked for EVERYTHING I did wrong? No. It wasn't always necessary and I didn't always get spanked. Sometimes the occasional harsh words of rebuke or a simple talking to did the job. Spanking was only used by my parents for acts of willful disobedience. In other words, when I knew that what I was doing was wrong, but chose to do those things anyway.
I aggree with you. I think there is an obvious difference between disciplining a small child by spanking when they do something really bad...and beating a child when its a case of abuse and neglect. I actually think its really easy distinction to make...Spanking for example doesnt even cause bruises if done correctly...its a short sharp slap that simply tells the child that its not alright. Beating and neglect is easy...usually administered by sadistic parents who are intoxicated and arent interested in disciplining, but driven by Temper.

My Parents were never really angry when they spanked me...thats what made it more frightening...they didnt shout at me. They spoke in even tones...it would have been easier if they had shouted and violently hit because thats just temper...but this was more simple administration of a task because I'd been naughty...and more over...I KNEW I'd been naughty.

I was well aware of what I had to do to get spanked...so if I did it...it was my own fault at incuring that punishment. It was used as a last resort so often when I pushed really hard they would warn me that failuire to behave would result in the slipper I'd usually back down then

To claim that reasonable corperal punishment is in anyway unlawful violation of minors is idiotic...although your comparison to sexual intercourse doesnt quite follow...coz whether we deserved it or not...the child never actually gives consent to being smacked...but the jist is correct....The use of resonable force is not and never should be considered abuse and I reckon in 99 percent of cases its increadibly easy to tell the difference, whether your a parent...or someone who is from social services checking out the parents.

It is legal in this country to discipline your child via corperal punishment. It is no longer legal to discipline Children via Corperal punishment in schools...and I think that also is a mistake...it once was...and school kids got away with far less then they do today. I am all for bringing back the cane in schools, providing their is strict legislation and monitoring of its carrying out. I am all for using Spanking on children between the ages of Toddlers and Puberty also. Prior to that absolutely not, and after that...Goodluck in expecting the child not to smack back There are better ways of disciplining a teenager...and you shouldnt really be disciplining a toddler except vocally...but young children are naughty and they need a good spanking
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 17,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN View Post
I remember one time, my mom broke a bread board on my butt!
We were on vacation and the paddle or belt was not close at hand, so the bread board was her only option.
My parents used The Slipper it had a shiny serface so it stung more Never a belt coz that was too thin for my bottom, and they dont own a paddle.

When I was older Mother would slap me by hand in the face if I was rude to her. She would use her hand if nothing else was close at hand.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,490
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

To claim that reasonable corperal punishment is in anyway unlawful violation of minors is idiotic...although your comparison to sexual intercourse doesnt quite follow...coz whether we deserved it or not...the child never actually gives consent to being smacked...but the jist is correct....The use of resonable force is not and never should be considered abuse and I reckon in 99 percent of cases its increadibly easy to tell the difference, whether your a parent...or someone who is from social services checking out the parents.
Mine do.

I sometimes give them a choice of their punishment. They have chose a spanking over the alternative before. Rarely, but they have.

My seven year old gets 'colors' at school according to his behavior and he knows the consequences of each. When he gets on red he gets a spanking. I always spank him over a bench in my bedroom. One day he came home from school, threw his book bag on the kitchen floor and while starting towards my bedroom drew an ugly face and said, "Let's get this over with!"
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 17,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Mine do.

I sometimes give them a choice of their punishment. They have chose a spanking over the alternative before. Rarely, but they have.

My seven year old gets 'colors' at school according to his behavior and he knows the consequences of each. When he gets on red he gets a spanking. I always spank him over a bench in my bedroom. One day he came home from school, threw his book bag on the kitchen floor and while starting towards my bedroom drew an ugly face and said, "Let's get this over with!"
You are an outstanding Mother IMHO
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-12-2011, 06:08 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
My Parents were never really angry when they spanked me...thats what made it more frightening...they didnt shout at me. They spoke in even tones...it would have been easier if they had shouted and violently hit because thats just temper...but this was more simple administration of a task because I'd been naughty...and more over...I KNEW I'd been naughty.
My parents never spanked me out of anger either. If we did something to make them angry, then they would usually send us to our rooms to give themselves time to calm down before administering the spanking. Or they would talk to us and explain exactly what we did wrong. They would usually start with, "I'm going to spank you for this, because...." and then go into a long explanation which made the anticipation of the spanking much worse than the spanking itself.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 17,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
They would usually start with, "I'm going to spank you for this, because...." and then go into a long explanation which made the anticipation of the spanking much worse than the spanking itself.
Ive SO BEEN THERE!

...and whilst my Father would blah...my Sisters would walk past pretending not to be watching...it was very embarissing...and I think that works better then anything else...I cant say I was spanked much because I was quick to learn my lesson...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.