Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
That last picture in post# 27 is awesome. I was talking with the waitress before he came in and this little boy had been waiting in the restaurant for over 90 minutes for Matt to show up at the after party and they said he wouldn't stop watching the stairwell for Matt so when he arrived the boy got really excited and all he wanted to do all night was meet Matt. Of course, Matt being the person he is welcomed the boy and his parents into the afterparty and the look on his face when Matt was standing there to greet him at the door when he came in was priceless.
Ahhh, thanks for sharing that precious moment with us, Steve. I'm sure he'll always remember that; what a great "tale" he'll have to share with his friends.

Thank you all for your wonderful tales and all the great pics!

Boomer, what a cool idea for a kid's party...your nephew will have his own tale..."A Knight's Tale" and I'm sure it made it that much more special that you got to be there to share it with him.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 AM
philips4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Hey Forum folks, Llama here!

Well my part of the week started Thursday mornign as I eagerly ddeparted from NY's La Guardia airport. I had a transfer in Atlanta but was in Denver before I knew it.
to be continued...

I know it was a difficult name to remember so I wont give you a hard time for not remembering something so unusual ...... her name is ...... Kristie ..... ha ha ha ha, seriously I try and keep it simple and try and travel with someone with the same name and you still can't remember?!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philips4 View Post
I know it was a difficult name to remember so I wont give you a hard time for not remembering something so unusual ...... her name is ...... Kristie ..... ha ha ha ha, seriously I try and keep it simple and try and travel with someone with the same name and you still can't remember?!
AACK! I blame you!

You've met me, are you really surprised

[
Old 09-28-2011, 07:12 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Hey Forum folks, Llama here!

Well my part of the week started Thursday mornign as I eagerly ddeparted from NY's La Guardia airport. I had a transfer in Atlanta but was in Denver before I knew it.
When I landed I received a voicemail from Boomer letting me know that he was tied up with Matt's weight cutting and would most likely meet me later on. Boomer had gotten a room near downtown for us to crash in Friday and Saturday (as we knew the karaoke would be epic) so I grabbed and easy shuttle service and headed toward the Mile High City. On the way I checked in with Red (SteveT) and his wife Lynsey. We didn;t realize we were going to be landing so close or we probably would have arranged some sort carpool situation, but alas, things work the way they do;)

I got to the Ramada, which was about a half mile from The Pepsi Center, and checked in. They were kind enough to extend the reservation to cover Thursday night and all was right with the world. I was content to eat some junkfood and watch cable TV for the rest of the day. You see, I don't have cable at home so this is a treat for me
Boomer texted me and said he was helping Matt but would try and swing over and get me later on. I replied that I was happy as a clam and that not to rush. Matt is the priority this trip and the last thing I want to do is disrupt their routine. So I watched that movie about the hiker who cuts his own arm off, ate cup o soup and sandwiches, and hunkered down for the night. Boomer texted a little bit later to say he had to take Jeremy Horn to the airport bright and early and that he was just going ot crash with Matt. No problemo!

The next day I woke up to a text from Boomer that said "3.5lbs over!". I responded "No problem, right? WAR HUGHES". Boomer responded, "RIGHT!"

I then checked in with Danny (Silverback) and he had arrived and was enroute with John Davis.

Boomer let me know where the weigh ins were and where we'd be eating after weighins, so I thought it'd be good to head downtown and get my bearings. I also wanted to get a sense of where everything was in case anyone needed help getting with directions. So I, threw on my Team Hughes (Boomer edition) t-shirt, took a free shuttle to The Wells Fargo center, and found a starbucks right across the street.

I had a map of downtown and the gal at starbucks was really helpful in plotting all the locations. Boomer then texted and asked if I would contact the Frontier Inn and see if we could get a reservation for our Karaoke extravaganza. I called them and they were more than happy to put a table for 15 aside for us. I let Boomer know we were good to go and he said "great, see ya at the restaurant after weighins"!

I guzzled some coffee and a sandwich and about that time Danny shoots me a text.
"where ya at"
"Starbucks by Welss Fargo Theatre. You?"
"In Fight Club Line"
"Be there in 5"
That was my cue so I gathered my stuf and hoofed it over to the theatre.
I got to the back of the line and didn't see the old man;)
Then after a quick call we spotted eachother.
I asked if everyone he was with had a bracelet to get in (as I had a guest pass that I hated to see go to waste)
Danny mentioned that Christie Philips and her friend were coming and that One of them might need it. About 10 minutes later I see Christie and Co walking down the line looking for Danny. We greeted eachother and I pointed out where Danny and John were in line. They both had access bands so I said I'd hang on to it and they went up to Danny.
Not long after that the doors opened and we all filed into the theatre. The gang was nice enough to save me a seat. Steve and Lynsey came in a few minutes later and sat a few rows back. The Q and A started in a few minutes with Rashad Evans.
I'll be real honest that I'm back and forth on how I feel about Rashad, but I thought his Q and A was really good. Funny, insightful, and it flew by. I was sitting right behind one of the microphones so the audience was subjected to my goofy mug whenever someone from my side asked a question. It also worked out that Christie's friend Tim (recent transplant to Denver) was able to use my extra access band, shich made me happy.
Once the weighins started Boomer came down to say hey and make sure we all knew where the restaurant was.
Matt came out and made weight, stared down and we were all set to go eat.
I walked over with Christie, Red, Lynsey, and Chistie's awesome friend (who's name is escaping me), and Christie was nice enough to let me put my poster in her car.
We got to the restaurant and not long after Matt and his crew showed up. Matt, Robbie, Pena, Jens, Tony Fryklund, Zucca, and Hoagie showed up. We sat down to eat and I sat on the end across from BOomer. As I came around the table Matt says "oh so you're going ot be in the hot seat". I wasn't sure what he meant until a short while later when Rachelle Leah and her riend showed up and I found myself sitting next to the former host of UFC All Access. Boomer must have seen my eyes grow to the size of baseballs, because he kind of laughed at me. Not long after that Rashad Evans sat down and once again I was at a loss. LOL
The food was really good. matt had a bowl of chicken primavera right away so he coudl start putting some calories back into his body. he ate about half and was called over to a booth behind us to have an interview with Fox sports (I think). The atmosphere was like a reunion of sorts for Matt and his friends. Monte Cox was sitting right by us and there were stories and laughter fillign the air. I really felt like a fly on the wall and just listened. I also got to catch up with Boomer and Tony Zucca which was nice. sitting next to me, I found out (shortly after sitting down) was Joe Betar and his family. Joe is the President of Texas Trophy Hunters and one awesome guy. hsi wife and son were a lot of fun to talk to and we jsut had a great time talking about the show and hearing behind the scenes stories about Matt. Joe mentioned some of the awesome things they're going to be adding to the show in coming season so tune in!

After dinner it was time for Matt and crew to head back to their hotel. Matt's wife, Audra, and Matt's brother in law Drew had arrived and they were waiting for him in the lobby restaurant. Boomer said I could ride back with Matt and his team and that was a real treat. On the way there I sat shotgun and was trying to kind of stay out of everything. I could tell this time with his buddies meant a lot to Matt and the last thing I wanted to do was interfere. Well we cruising towards the hotel and I hear Matt in the back ask " Hey Boomtown, what's Llama doing now?" Boomer responds "sitting right here". and I kind of look back and wave and say hey.Matt says "Oh I just assumed that was Hoagie up there". You see i know that Matt knows me from the fights I've been to and we've shared a meal in NY , but I know that Matt also meets a lot of people in a year and also he had a lot on his mind. Well let me just say it meant a lot to hear him ask about me at that moment.

We get back to the hotel after a RAVE review of the movie "Drive" by Robbie Lawler. We walk into the lobby and Matt is immediately asked for autographs and photos. One fan showed Matt a photo of him getting his hand raised after the Renzo fight. Matt was anxious to get over to see Audra but still gave the fans their time.
We all sat down in the empty hotel restaurant and everyone kind of relaxed. I sat next to Matt Pena and talked about his gun Matt got him after the Renzo fight. He's ordered a tripod for it and says he's got lots of room out in Utah to shoot it. While we're sitting for a few minutes Matt says "Hey Llama did you see what I got the boys?" he then brings over one of the Kabars and lets me hold it. Let me jsut say that is one of the coolest knives I've ever had my hands on. A few minutes later Robbie goes up to the rooms to get the guys their knives. He returns a few minutes with his knife in it's sheath strtapped to his leg. When asked he says "I know all these guys are getting knives and I don't want them bullying me. LOL
not long after Jens sits down with us and he and I start talking video games a bit too. Matt gives him his knife and also presents Tony Fryklund with his knife. both guys were beyond excited. Everyone was given multiple warnings to be careful because those things wee surgically sharp.
We sit and talk for a while and then Matt says "Hey Llama are thsoe your sunglasses on the floor". I look under my chair and yes indeed they were. I often carry them by folding them with 1 arm in my fron pocket. thsi leads to me constantly dropping them. " I just didn't want you to lose them" Matt says. Thanks Matt Hughes!
Boomer and I decide we'd better get over to The Frontier Inn for Karaoke so we say goodbye to everyone. We are joined by Drew, who is Audra's younger brother. He a really cool guy and we have a great time talking on the 15 minute drive to the Karaoke bar. We get to the place and the bouncer is checking ID's. I didn't realize the place was 21 and up. so we decide to return Drew to the hotel. I felt really bad for not checking ahead of time, but Drew assured us it was okay.
As we're pulling out I see two guys really eyeing our car. As we go past the taller of the two guys gives me a "whatsup" headnod and I return it. Boomer then gets a text and says "oh Huan is asking where we are. I say "is that him those two guys are staring over at us". Boomer then gets a call and we let them know that we'll be back.
we return Drew to the hotel and are back to Karaoke business. We get a text from Red and Lynsey that they are there and Danny also says he's on his way. Boomer and I both comment that we're fading but the Karaoke should wake us back up....and did it ever!
to be continued...
You lucky dog brother. Thanks for sharing your story as well. I hope we get one more fight some near by so I can at least see a fight live let alone be lucky like you all and hang out. Blessings man and thanks for the story.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Default Chapter 2: Karaoke Granny, and RPWAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
You lucky dog brother. Thanks for sharing your story as well. I hope we get one more fight some near by so I can at least see a fight live let alone be lucky like you all and hang out. Blessings man and thanks for the story.
Thanks Chris. There is really nothing like a live event. Especially if you're a fan of Matt's. We are very fortunate to have the kind of access we get. Comes from Matt being such a down-to-earth good person.

But wait, there's more! ( I realized I got pretty long winded in the last one so I'll try and wrap it all up)

....So Boomer and I get to the karaoke place and find Red and Lynsey waiting by their truck in the parking lot. It seems the place was a little intimidating to them (and me too at first, I admit). Boomer is fearless. the divier the place the more happy he seems to get.
We all walk in and the place can only be described as a giant version of The Boars Nest (from Dukes of Hazzard). at first glance a little rough and tumble, but actually it was filled with some of the warmest, fun people we could have hoped for. We look and therre is a big table with a sign on that says "Reserved 4 Dunn" He that's us! We sit down and not soon after ol Dannyboy Silverback comes strolling in and joins us.
Boomer and I (being the shy performers we are) grab books and slip and start picking out our setlist for the evening. The talent on stage was 100% heart but maybe not always on key which I LOVE about local karaoke places. I'll admit I've gotten a little City-fied in the last 7 years and this was refreshing.
We then discover that Huan and his crew are actually sitting next to us and we tell them to join our big table. I then meet Andy and two other folks who's names also escape me. I'm terrible with names.
Not soon after my name gets called and I got up and sing "it's Still Rock and Roll to Me by Billy Joel", Boomer get's up and brings the crowd to their feet with a rendition of "Run Around Sue". You see Boomer is notorious for singing songs about loose women and all sorts of questionable behavior at Karaoke, but he has fun so we just grin and clap;)
After our first round of singing Christie and KRISTIE show up and also Boomer's sister-in law- Mychal! Mychal is in a production of Evita and came right over after the show ended. At one point earlier in the evening Boom got a text from her that read "I wish Evita would hurry up and die already" LOL. Who can blame her for being excited about karaoke with us
Well the night featured a few events especially worth noting:
1. while i was singing The Lady is a Tramp by Frank Sinatra. an older female patron walked up to the stage waving a dollar bill. I did not want to offend my only fan so I offered her my back pocket and she gladly tucked the buck.

2. Another older patron asked one of Zac (Huan's ) friend to request a song from a lanky cowboy-hatted that she thought we might enjoy. The DJ not soon after read a slip and said "let's get (we'll just call him) Richard Petty with a haircut up here" this song goes out to Matt Hughes fans and here's for Matt to kick Josh's @$$!" Well RPWAH then proceeds to give a performance of "Country Boy..." that sounds just like Hank Williams Jr. We of course went nuts.

3. My buck tucking granny then asked our friend Boomer for a dance and he was more than happy to oblige. Boomer's sister in law partnered with BTG's hubby and well, you'll just have to see the vid. Let's just say I wasn't the only one to find a dollar bill in my back pocket on Saturday morning.

After another karaoke enthusiast treated our eardrum to a brain rattling version of "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor" we all called it a night and Boomer and I went back to the Ramada to catch some Zs. it was an amazing night with our forum friends and we dearly missed those that couldn't make it out.

*special note* as I visited the Men's water closet on the way out I was subjected to quite possibly the worst bathroom destruction to ever tickle my nose hairs. THANKS FRONTIER INN!

to be cont'd

[
Old 09-28-2011, 01:42 PM

Oh and thanks to Christie I now know that proper chin positioning is important when having your picture taken thanks for letting me do-over the Beauty and The Beast photo

[
Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Love this picture!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 PM
LESS TALK MORE ACTION

Great tales everybody. wish i could have been there to help llama keep up with his sunglasses.

after looking at the knife pics this video came to mind.
http://youtu.be/01NHcTM5IA4
Old 09-28-2011, 09:50 PM

Default Chapter 3: UFC 135, Sunglasses found, and Bubba Gumps

Saturday started about 9am when Boomtown took off to go see Matt. Once Matt get's into the fight process only his licensed cornermen will be able to move about with him, so Boomer goes over early to help with tickets and see his buddy once more before the fight.

So I got ready and watched a little cable TV and not long after I got a text from Boomer "Heading over to get yea"! So I got ready, looked all over the room for my sunglasses, and finally went downstairs and waited for Boomer Duke to show up in his Orange Charger (not kidding).

He showed up in a couple minutes and as soon as I got into the car I looked aroudn for my shade, but couldn't finad them. Oh well another UFC trip, another lost pair of shades. secretly I was bummed cause I'd had those for almost a year and that was a record.
Boomer and I headed down to Bubba Gumps to make the final arrangements with the manager for the after party. We met with the day manager Liz and she took us upstairs to the private party room where we went over all the setup stuff and access control. Boomer had gotten a copy of Ultimate Matt Hughes DVD for us to play on the big screen during that party/One new addition was that we wanted to see about setting up karaoke. Apparrently Matt heard about our good time the night before and wanted to see if we could get it.
Once everything was set Boomer and I headed to grab lunch. It jsut so happened that there was a hard Rock Cafe close by and that sounded like the best thing. We had a good time talking about different projects we were both interested in doing as far as film and theatre and prety much caught up on life. The thing about me and Boomer is that we could go a year without seeing eachother and we always seem to just pick right back up where we left off. I've always said thats a sign of a good buddy.

After lunch we headed up into the mountains to pick up Boomers brother. It wasn't too bad of a drive but the change in altitude sure was felt. His brother has a beautiful home up on the mountain with several acres around him. Once there I got to meet Aaron (Boomers brother) and his two boys Drew and Gabriel both super cool kids who leave no doubt in your mind that they think their uncle is about the best thing in the world! We sat and talked for a while and then Boomer's Sister-in-law showed up with a karaoke machine for us to use at Matt's after party. We were getting sort of tight on time so it was time to load up and head back to Denver.
We decided to park in the Bubba Gump's lot and walk to the Pepsi Center so that once the event was over we wouldn't get stuck in traffic and could hoof it over real quick to get the party going. Not a bad walk and once we arrived we split off to our seats to watch the fights.
I was up by myself at one end of the arena and actually really liked my seats. the jumbo screen was right in front and slightly above me. It didn't block my view and I could see right down into the cage. Once i got my bearings I started exchanging texts with my forum buddies. I also was able to locate where Boomer and his brother were sitting by spotting Aaron's blue shirt.

The night of fights was sort of weird. The usher by my seat let me move around and we talked off and on throughout the evening. At the end of the evening right before Matt fought he asked if he could have my ticket stub as a souveigner. He had been such good company that I handed it over to him. For Matt's fight I stood against the wall in the back of my section. I get tunnel vision when Matt's fighting and almost always stand if possible. I was pacing and yelling. after the fight ended my usher buddy patted me on the shoulder and said sorry.

The fights happened and Boomer and I had discussed bolting as soon as the Jones fight ended. I went down to their section to watch the final fight from the top of the stairs. on my way down I passed Danny who was obviously upset about the outcome from Matt's fight and was not sticking around. I totally understood and we agreed to talk more at the after party.
The usher in Boomer's section allowed me to watch Jones/Rampage from top of the section. going into the final round I saw Mark Hughes and his gang heading up to beat traffic and we greeted eachother. as soon as Rampage tapped out I ran out into the hall and waited for Boomer and Aaron.

The three of us walked back to Buba's and got set for the party. We had 4 dedicated servers and a manager at our disposal. Let me tell ya I think they did a great job of keepign everyone happy. Matt and hsi team ended up walking over too, and before we knew it the room was full of people having a good time despite the outcome of the fight. We were all there to support Matt regardless.
Not long into the party Chuck Liddell showed up with his lady and there was definitely a look around the room like "oh my gosh there's Chuck Liddell"! Boomer and I waited for things to settle in a bit before starting our own karake show. I believe it was Mrs. Hughes that said "Get it started Boomtown!" to which he obliged with an awesome version of Mr. Saturday Night Special! I then sang "Folsom Prison Blues" and we did a duet of "Friends in Low Places". Abotu that time Jens and Tony Fryklund and a whole lot of other folks showed up. Matt seemed to be haveing a great time and all were in good spirits.
At one point not too long into the evening we were talking to Matt and he says "hey Llama, I got your sunglasses!" to which I replied something like "whaaaaaaaaaa?????" ."Yeah I found them on the floor and I knew they were yours so I'll have to mail them to ya or something". I was in disbelief that of all the people to come across my sunglasses was Matt Hughes. I was embarrased to have lost them after Matt had pointed out to me that I'd dropped them on the floor the night before. Now here I find out that he spotted them again and took care ofthem for me.

The party went on into the evening and by the end it was me and Boomer loading the karaoke stuff back into the General Boomtown. Boomer drove me back to the Ramada and we bid eachother farewell with a hug and a handshake. I went and finished packing to be ready for my 4:00am ride to the airport. I sat downstairs and at 4:00am Zucca pulled up in the van. I jumped in and I hear "Hey Llama". Mark Hughes and his wife Emily along with their two friends were also taking early flights. We talked a bit on the way and next thing I new I was sitting on a jet towards New York by way of Atlanta. Another amazing Matt Hughes Forum weekend in the books.

Matt, I know you're not retiring and I'm glad. "Sitting on the shelf" I think you called it. Well, we'll all be sitting on the shelf too until the horn sounds and calls us to some distant city to root you on, sing karaoke, and enjoy eachother's company!

WAR HUGHES

[
Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Silverback

Well that does it, Llama and Boomtown, I will have to find the time this weekend to get even for you telling stories about me, because you know I have a few to tell myself. I will tell you this before I tell my side of the story, no matter what happens you guys and the Hughes familys are a very special breed. More to come.......