Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 09-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Well, I do agree that each successive generation of humanity is getting stupider and more intellectually incompetent, but that should be able to be measured as a slow, steady decline. Not the downhill rocket-slide that it's been in this country for the last 3 decades.

I know people will also complain that we're just not putting enough money into public schools and (the favorite mantra) if we dedicated as much money to education that we do to national defense, then all of our education problems would be solved. Well, first of all, we now spend 4 times more on education in this country than we did in the 200 years prior to 1979 and our country's education system is failing faster than ever. So, money is not the problem.

Secondly, the national defense comparison is ridiculous because we NEED to spend money on national defense. Today of all days should prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Oh I aggree with you about spending priorities...infact...constitutionally speaking, that probably about all besides the roads, the Federal Government SHOULD be spending on

I just think that sometimes its easy to blame an administration for a decline...whatever that administration maybe...and however circumstances may have undermined them to cause the decline, in whatever...education...Health...attendance.

There is always work to be done on promotion...but sometimes its easy to blame the few in charge for the state of play...and sometimes they are only a contributing factor.

No...the thing that made me laugh was how easily and quickly you felt it reasonable to write someone off and get rid of them. If they do a poor job, sack them. I dont aggree with instantenously writing people off...you modify what you have a try to make it work before you wipe a slate clean...and above all, you make sure you actually know who is to blame before you make for an obvious scape goat.

IF the State Governments should be funding this and doing it properly...then rather Complain about the Federal Imput...educate the State Governments into doing their job properly so the Federal forces dont have to do it.

If all you and Chris say is accurate...the Fault ISNT with the Federal Government. All the Federal Government have done is tried to breech a hole that should be consitutionally filled by the State Governments. You want to get your State Governments up to scratch...and THEN you can come down on the Federal Union if they interfere...but the State Government MUST pull their weight.

There is a saying in England..."Use it of looose it" If it is the States Right to manage education...they had better be managing education...if they fail to do so...well...Someone has to do it...

Then you need to barter with whatever department was set up...and you need to form a pressure group with your local...erm...whatever you call your State Ministers...to close that insitution down. If its unconstituional...take it to a place which can close it down for such a reason.

You might think I just offer these suggestions and am not aware of the work it takes to get things changed...work that this forum is absolutely notorious for commenting on...and at the same time failing to put in any effort to change things...but I aply the same ethos to myself and my society. Why just this week I ensured the enshrining of something in my Councils new policy.

That..is the same as influencing Policy on a State level for you guys...as our National Government is made up of Representatives from all the local councils.

If you feel "they need to be permanently relieved of the responsibility." then shouldnt it be your duty as a citizen to try and make that happen (not just by shouting about it on this forum...though that IS a vital part...its about where the patrons on this forum stop...)

If you feel strongly...dont just speak smack...do work
Old 09-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I can be militant to
Old 09-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Well, I do agree that each successive generation of humanity is getting stupider and more intellectually incompetent, but that should be able to be measured as a slow, steady decline. Not the downhill rocket-slide that it's been in this country for the last 3 decades.

I know people will also complain that we're just not putting enough money into public schools and (the favorite mantra) if we dedicated as much money to education that we do to national defense, then all of our education problems would be solved. Well, first of all, we now spend 4 times more on education in this country than we did in the 200 years prior to 1979 and our country's education system is failing faster than ever. So, money is not the problem.

Secondly, the national defense comparison is ridiculous because we NEED to spend money on national defense. Today of all days should prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Here are some stats showing just how poor the US public education system really is:
Source: http://www.readfaster.com/education_...tionstatistics

44 million adults in the U.S. can't read well enough to read a simple story to a child.

Nearly half of America's adults are poor readers, or "functionally illiterate." They can't carry out simply tasks like balancing check books, reading drug labels or writing essays for a job.

21 million Americans can't read at all, 45 million are marginally illiterate and one-fifth of high school graduates can't read their diplomas.

46% of American adults cannot understand the label on their prescription medicine.

Forty-four percent of American 4th grade students cannot read fluently, even when they read grade-level stories aloud under supportive testing conditions.

50 percent of American adults are unable to read an eighth grade level book.

According to the 2003 National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), 37 percent of fourth graders and 26 percent of eighth graders cannot read at the basic level; and on the 2002 NAEP 26 percent of twelfth graders cannot read at the basic level. That is, when reading grade appropriate text these students cannot extract the general meaning or make obvious connections between the text and their own experiences or make simple inferences from the text. In other words, they cannot understand what they have read.
Exactly NateR whereas my Homes schooled kids are doing great. my 16 year old reads at college level and my youngest who has a learning disability reads just above grade level. (7th grade) So you are right the gov needs to get out of education
Old 09-12-2011, 04:49 PM
CAVEMAN

I have believed for a long time now that the solution to a better education is getting rid of the Dept. of Education. Put that money back into the hands at state and local levels. They will make sure their kids receive a good education.

However, we will never see the Fed loosen their grip on the education system......how else will they indoctrinate our children?

I believe it was Hitler who said, "Let me control the textbooks and I will control the state."
Old 09-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN View Post
I believe it was Hitler who said, "Let me control the textbooks and I will control the state."
Hitler also personally took control and issued commands to non existant portions of the German Army during the Liberation of Berlin...he refused to believe they had been overcome already...sooo I wouldnt put too much stock in anything he says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2fl-sHUwrc

...oh...and he's not as paranoid as he sounds...the German Army did not like him, and the most serious threats to his power came from the highest ranking officials...He ignored them generally speaking, which is kinda what cost him the war on a number of levels. He wasnt a Military Strategist...and some of the bizzare choices he made (like going after Russia in winter instead of a completely obliterated England, like expanding across Europe too fast, when with patience he could have got far further before war...all things the German Army without Adolf would have done, and been successful in doing)

Last edited by Tyburn; 09-12-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN View Post
I have believed for a long time now that the solution to a better education is getting rid of the Dept. of Education. Put that money back into the hands at state and local levels. They will make sure their kids receive a good education.

However, we will never see the Fed loosen their grip on the education system......how else will they indoctrinate our children?

Very true. The government has already brainwashed entire generations of American children with lies, including: Evolution is a scientifically supported fact, global warming is real, homosexuality is normal, democracy and capitalism are evil, and the US was founded as a secular nation - among many others.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Very true. The government has already brainwashed entire generations of American children with lies, including: Evolution is a scientifically supported fact, global warming is real, homosexuality is normal, democracy and capitalism are evil, and the US was founded as a secular nation - among many others.
...and what, pray tell, are you, personally, doing about that? apart from moaning like a broken record on the forum?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
...and what, pray tell, are you, personally, doing about that? apart from moaning like a broken record on the forum?
It's called freedom of speech. We're allowed to talk about what wrong with our nation as much as we want. Plus, you're making assumptions by implying that I'm doing nothing but complaining. I donate when I can to organizations that legally fight for the rights of evangelical Christians in America. I vote and, most importantly, I pray about it. Prayer is the best tool we have in any situation.

I guess, I could also post useless bits of irrelevant, historical trivia that nobody reads nor cares about; but you've already got that covered.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Sorry for being such a meanie Nathan