Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 08-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default WTF is he talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEV5Z80WIlU

I want someone American...to explain to me WTF he is talking about....I Hope I am not right in my assumption of what I think he means...because if thats the way your Country runs its riddiculous and I am suprised whole industries dont vanish.

I have a MAJOR boggle with American Employment Law....I hope this doesnt turn out to be something else I have a problem with....So can someone translate into English what process he is talking about please
Old 09-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
explain to me WTF he is talking about....
I don't think Obama even knows. He was probably handed the script for that speech about 10 seconds prior to the cameras rolling.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I don't think Obama even knows. He was probably handed the script for that speech about 10 seconds prior to the cameras rolling.
It's even worse than that. I don't think he can read a script, it has to be on a Teleprompter. Just a couple days ago he needed 2 of them to deliver a 3 minute speech introducing his new economic adviser chairman.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 09-01-2011, 02:52 AM

I see union thug Richard Trumka is standing by his side in Tyburn's video link. He has 'visited' the White House over 60 times - that's every 13 days - and says he talks to Obama every day. Go figure who is making these policies...

Old 09-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I see union thug Richard Trumka is standing by his side in Tyburn's video link. He has 'visited' the White House over 60 times - that's every 13 days - and says he talks to Obama every day. Go figure who is making these policies...
Do you not like Unions

Only as I understand it in America...there is no real Employment Law and thus nothing to stop someone from waking up one morning and deciding to sack you for no good reason at all

I heard that even large businesses dont actually get employees to sign a contract of work...that there are no such thing as Industrial Tribunerals...which means if you were wrongly you have no way of bringing those who destroyed your livelyhood to justice.

This sort of thing is important to me...because I have been in a situation where people have made up lies to get me into trouble and try and make me quit or try and convince others to sack me. We didnt have a Union...but we did have a disciplinary procedure and I did have a contract...so they couldnt do what they wanted...and when I passed a mile stone and gained the right to do them for unfair and constructed dismissal, they dropped all the charges overnight.

I would have to think VERY carefully about moving to a country that wasnt prepared to safeguard employees from unfair and constructive dissmissal or the likes....
Old 09-02-2011, 04:39 AM

It's not that I don't like the unions. I think they were of critical importance in the days of sweat shops and they still have their place today in helping workers. But I am more sympathetic to private sector unions than public sector. Public sector workers - in general - make a much better wage than their private sector counterpart. As we have all heard for the last year or so, many states are going broke paying for the exhorbitant retirement packages they promised these workers. Do you think the taxpayers can afford to support a worker with a great pension for 30-35 years? Not in this economy. As someone who has paid into my health care and retirement plan, I'm not real impressed with union people striking simply because they are being asked to contribute a small portion to these same plans.

Dave, the scales have tipped so far to the workers side of the equation that it is almost impossible to fire someone today. That goes for non-union workers as well so I think few workers are exploited anymore. Illegal immigrants are a "whole nuther" topic.

Just my 2 cents but I think it's disgraceful that the president of the AFL-CIO is one of the most frequent visitors to the White House; he himself brags that he talks with the President twice a week or more. That is a major concern when Obama is supposed to be president of ALL the people; Trumka obviously has quite a voice in the administration's jobs policies. Just ask the Chamber of Commerce what they think of that!

School is now starting up again and I can't speak for other states, but in ours, parents are concerned about the usual strikes. Many non-union people who haven't had a raise in several years are pretty sick of it.

And I support the good teachers (like Donna Maria, my brother and his wife, my brother-in-law). They have earned their pay and a good retirement and health plan - but one the taxpayers can support!