Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 08-26-2011, 09:43 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I'm gonna strap myself to the roof of my house to protect it.

Operation: Human Shield
Better check your HOA's bylaws first. Don't want to get a :Gasp: LETTER over that!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
Better check your HOA's bylaws first. Don't want to get a :Gasp: LETTER over that!

I started to tell him to at least wear a helmet! But, then, if he's thinking of doing that there's really no point in protecting his head is there. Just teas'n ya, Mike! You strike me as a "prepared" person.

They were reading some people's texts and emails on air to the question, "Are you prepared?" One lady, Marlene, said, "I'm prepared, I bought two bottles of wine."

All joking aside, I'm afraid some people aren't going to take this as seriously as they should be and they are going to be woefully ill-prepared for it and it's aftermath.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:51 PM
DonnaMaria

The Gov just ordered everyone off the beaches! I haven't agreed with him on lots of stuff but I can stand behind this remark!

http://wall.patch.com/articles/chris...in-asbury-park

They cut the electric in a lot of costal towns to MAKE the people evacuate. But there are still a lot of stragglers.

I also got a message from Atlantic Electric......telling me to be prepared for the power to be out for a few days....if things are bad.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:39 AM
County Mike

Some people are predicting that Atlantic Electric will cut power just because they know they can get away with it. Not sure if that really helps them though, since that means people would be using less and not paying as much this month.

I really haven't done much at all to get ready. I'll make sure to secure things in my yard that can blow away. Trashcans in the garage, stuff like that. Every time I hear an update on the storm, it seems a little less dangerous. Tentative plans to workout Sunday morning if she blows out early enough.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:17 PM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Some people are predicting that Atlantic Electric will cut power just because they know they can get away with it. Not sure if that really helps them though, since that means people would be using less and not paying as much this month.

I really haven't done much at all to get ready. I'll make sure to secure things in my yard that can blow away. Trashcans in the garage, stuff like that. Every time I hear an update on the storm, it seems a little less dangerous. Tentative plans to workout Sunday morning if she blows out early enough.

That's what I hear too. But I put everything away outside....just in case. Cars moved away from trees. Extra water incase the power goes out. Candles and matches and flashlights. Took some cash out incase ATM machines and banks are closed and gassed up the car. I think tha'ts about everything.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Sandbags...just incase....get sandbags...its the only thing that will help you if you really do get SEVEN FEET of flooding

Out Store uses Sandbags because the firedoor has this small hole underneith it, and a big depression outside...everytime it rains heavy the depression fills with water and without the bags, it starts to come into the store under this blasted door Its the only time in my life I have EVER seen real sandbags...

...ohh...except once when I went to Eden Camp on a school trip

http://www.edencamp.co.uk/
Old 08-27-2011, 05:12 PM

The Llamafighter family is stocked up and ready to wait it out. Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated. Not in a flood zone, but ya never know.

[
Old 08-27-2011, 05:15 PM
DonnaMaria

A few houses have sand bags but they won't help me. My house is on a little hill. I got water in my basement when the water table got too high and the water seeped into the foundation. I had the soil graded away from the house and a new gutter system installed since the last flood.........and I got a new shop vac. So we'll see.

They just included a tornado watch until 8 tonight. My biggest concern is the 70 year old old trees around my house.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
A few houses have sand bags but they won't help me. My house is on a little hill. I got water in my basement when the water table got too high and the water seeped into the foundation. I had the soil graded away from the house and a new gutter system installed since the last flood.........and I got a new shop vac. So we'll see.

They just included a tornado watch until 8 tonight. My biggest concern is the 70 year old old trees around my house.
Trees can live for centuries, so long as they are well routed and dont have too many unsupported or heavily laiden boughs
Old 08-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Trees can live for centuries, so long as they are well routed and dont have too many unsupported or heavily laiden boughs
I think she's more concerned with the trees being ripped from the ground by the winds and falling on her house, than in the welfare of the trees themselves.