Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 07-07-2011, 11:11 AM
County Mike

That's so gay!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:23 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

I didn't think either of the man's examples sounded worthy of the history books whether straight or gay.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:56 PM

One issue that wasn't mentioned is the fact that because the California school system is so large, textbook publishers will have to make their textbooks fit the California curriculum or risk losing the sales to the largest market. Those same textbooks will be sold to schools all around the country. So, essentially, even if you live in a different state, if your child goes to public schools, they might be influenced by this decision. Parents will likely not know, because parents do not generally read the textbooks issued to their children.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Landmark gay history bill goes to Calif. governor

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) California lawmakers on Tuesday sent the governor a bill that would make the state the first requiring public schools to include the contributions of gays and lesbians in social studies curriculum.

The bill, passed on a party-line vote, adds lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people as well as people with disabilities to the list of groups that schools must include in the lessons. It also would prohibit material that reflects adversely on gays.

Democratic Assemblyman Tom Ammiano of San Francisco says SB48 is crucial because of the bullying that happens to gay students. Republicans called it a well-intentioned but ill-conceived bill and raised concerns that it would indoctrinate children to accept homosexuality.

"This bill will require California schools to present a more accurate and nuanced view of American history in our social science curriculum by recognizing the accomplishments of groups that are not often recognized," said Assembly Speaker John Perez, the first openly gay speaker of the California Assembly.

The bill now goes to Gov. Jerry Brown, a Democrat, who has not said whether he would sign it. Former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed a similar bill in 2006.

Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, a Republican from Twin Peaks, said he was offended as a Christian that the bill was being used to promote a "homosexual agenda" in public schools.

"I think it's one thing to say that we should be tolerant," Donnelly said. "It is something else altogether to say that my children are going to be taught that this lifestyle is good."

California law already requires schools to teach about women, African Americans, Mexican Americans, entrepreneurs, Asian Americans, European Americans, American Indians and labor. The Legislature over the years also has prescribed specific lessons about the Irish potato famine and the Holocaust, among other topics.

SB48 would require, as soon as the 2013-2014 school year, the California Board of Education and local school districts to adopt textbooks and other teaching materials that cover the contributions and roles of sexual minorities.

The legislation leaves it to local school boards to decide how to implement the requirement. It does not specify a grade level for the instruction to begin.

Opponents argued that such instruction would further burden an already crowded curriculum and expose students to a subject that some parents find objectionable. Assemblyman Chris Norby, R-Fullerton, said the bill micromanages the classroom.

"Our founding fathers are turning over in their graves," Donnelly said.
The bill's author, Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, said he hopes Brown will sign his bill. He dismissed arguments that the bill promotes certain sexual behaviors and said it removes censorship in textbooks.

"Bottom line, it's only beneficial to share with students the broad diversity of the human experience and that our democracy protects everyone," he said.

Before the Assembly vote, Perez pointed to a few contributions of gay people, including Friedrich von Steuben, one of George Washington's military advisers who fled Prussia after he was hounded as a homosexual.
Von Steuben is credited with being one of the fathers of the Continental Army and teaching essential military drills.

He also cited Alan Turing, a mathematician who helped crack Nazi Germany's secret codes by creating the "Turing bombe," a forerunner of modern computers.

Some churches and conservative family groups warned the bill will drive more parents to take their children out of public schools.

"This sexual brainwashing bill would mandate that children as young as 6 years old be told falsehoods that homosexuality is biological, when it isn't, or healthy, when it's not," said Randy Thomasson, president of SaveCalifornia.com.

The Assembly passed the bill on a 49-25 vote.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/landmark-...222837028.html
from what i understand von steuben never admitted being gay, as i see it, they started a nasty rumor about him in austria and he came over here to get away from it,

otherwise, he saw it as a horrible evil temptation he was plagued with, no different than people who are tempted by greed or other abominations, there is no proof he indulged it and i think there is more proof that he is ashamed of the temptation

exactly why it needs to be left out of the conversation

unless you want to point out everyone's sexual orientation

i heard hitler was gay maybe they could focus on that
Old 07-31-2011, 03:17 AM

oh and lets not forget jeffery dahmer and john wayne gacy

oh and the fact that 43 percent of serial killers are homosexual
Old 07-31-2011, 05:58 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
oh and lets not forget jeffery dahmer and john wayne gacy

oh and the fact that 43 percent of serial killers are homosexual
That would make 57% of serial killers heterosexual then right? What point are you trying to make?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
That would make 57% of serial killers heterosexual then right? What point are you trying to make?

the same point that they are trying to make i guess

what is the point of requiring gay history?

but i think 43 percent is a little disporportionately high don't you?
Old 07-31-2011, 04:28 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Maybe some are bi

Old 07-31-2011, 04:30 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
the same point that they are trying to make i guess

what is the point of requiring gay history?

but i think 43 percent is a little disporportionately high don't you?
I kinda understand your point. Why highlight the 'gayness' of a person when it is something positive and not the other way around? Or maybe we should delete any negative things from the history books.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Maybe some are bi

Or cross-dressers.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16