Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 07-28-2011, 02:08 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I know many long term pot users, all above average intelligence and quite successful in their careers. Owners of their own business, college graduates, etc. The studies that I have read don't seem to support your claim, nor does my own experience with pot users. Sure if you look only at slacker kids who smoke dope you could get that impression. Back when I worked at the hospital, so many of the resident doctors and other staff hospital members were known to toke up quite frequently. Hard to pass your medical boards if you don't have the intelligence.

Heck, using your standard, I would claim that some of the posters on this forum were potheads because of their lack of basic writing skills. One that comes to mind I doubt uses.

We could also use your definition and say the same about alcohol drinkers, tobacco users etc.
I've known some reasonably intelligent people who became daily pot smokers and now they're complete idiots. I'm not talking about the people who occasionally have a smoke. I'm talking about the daily smoking pot heads. I'm sure some people can smoke it once in a while and show little effect but I've definitely seen first-hand where some people just went way down hill with no other obvious excuse.

If it becomes legal, the daily smokers will likely increase (same as cigarette smokers) and we'll have more lazy idiots laying around talking about the existence of dog.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:49 PM
ufcfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Never smoked it, never had any interest in smoking it - legal or illegal. However, I do believe that making it legal would cause more people to try it out and potentially get addicted to it. I think the fact that it is illegal deters a lot more people from trying it than we might think.
I agree, I've never tried it and never really had the urge. Some of that may of been it being illegal and the other was not hanging around friends who did it. I though have thought about trying it, but heck I wouldnt know where to even get it I don't exactly know any corner selling pot dealers I don't drink neither, maybe I should start my friends always keep telling me thats the reason I'm so uptight and stressed all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
if they plan on legalizing it, let me know, i will buy stock in doritos ..

there are many good arguments for or against it .. the good things are that the cartels would stop because there would be no real reason to traffic it, but they would probably move to something else like coke, heroine or people .. people say it is a gateway drug, but i think tobacco and alcohol are also gateway drugs ...

here in canada it is decriminalized, meaning if you get caught with a spliff, you get a ticket or something, but if you have a bunch of it, you do get charged for intent to traffic .. something like that .. not saying that is the answer, but it might be a possibility .. me, i am for a keeping it illegal ..
This. Far as law here in states I'm not sure, but I think its similar in some areas it just depends on the amount they find you with.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
That's all we need, more stupid people.

Pot kills brain cells. If you don't believe me, just try to have a conversation with a long time pothead.
I'm going to disagree with this. I know someone who made a 34 on their ACTs, graduated college with honors, and makes 6 figures while smoking daily. And sadly he has a better memory than I do. If his brain has been impacted any it hasn't hurt him that much.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Dethbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
I'm going to disagree with this. I know someone who made a 34 on their ACTs, graduated college with honors, and makes 6 figures while smoking daily. And sadly he has a better memory than I do. If his brain has been impacted any it hasn't hurt him that much.
Most, if not all, of the athletes at my high school smoked cigarettes, and from what I hear, it is currently the same at the local schools also. I think people who are naturally gifted sometimes do stupid stuff because on some level they want to prove to themselves that they can get away with it.

I also think dope is more attractive to smart people because it slows down the thought process so that the cerebral machinations become perceptible, which is novel and therefore fun, but certainly not a good idea.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:44 PM
BamaGrits84

Pot is not physically addictive. It is psychologically addictive. People think they need it to relax just like people who use tobacco. In the 60s smoking was considered a peaceful thing, however most research shows it actually is not. People who smoke long term and frequently are usually asses. That's a medical fact. Since they think smoking makes life better when they don't they become more irritable. also, when the come down from their high they are irritable.

This is what gets me about people who smoke - they refuse to deal with life as it really is. That I have a problem with. Today at work I may have a boss get mad at me, I may go pick up to kids who start fighting within 3 seconds of getting in my van, I may have more things to get done this evening before my body can take before it crashes. But that's life. You don't get a pass on doing drugs just because it makes life seem easier to you. Get over it or go get some prozac.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:36 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Pot is not physically addictive. It is psychologically addictive. People think they need it to relax just like people who use tobacco. In the 60s smoking was considered a peaceful thing, however most research shows it actually is not. People who smoke long term and frequently are usually asses. That's a medical fact. Since they think smoking makes life better when they don't they become more irritable. also, when the come down from their high they are irritable.

This is what gets me about people who smoke - they refuse to deal with life as it really is. That I have a problem with. Today at work I may have a boss get mad at me, I may go pick up to kids who start fighting within 3 seconds of getting in my van, I may have more things to get done this evening before my body can take before it crashes. But that's life. You don't get a pass on doing drugs just because it makes life seem easier to you. Get over it or go get some prozac.
Hahahahaha, did you do that on purpose?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:06 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Do what?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:29 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Do what?
You don't get a pass on doing drugs so deal with it or do drugs.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Twinsmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Cool, thanks for the links. I'll check them out in the next few.

As far as the addictive properties; some studies that I have read do show that there are some, though not as much as tobacco. While there are carcinogens, smoking isn't the only way marijuana can be used. It can be consumed in food products and used in a vaporizer, both of which greatly diminish or eliminate the carcinogens if I recall correctly. Not to mention the additives that are put in cigarettes, that's another story.

I'm still for legalizing it, taxing it and allowing adults to decide for themselves. These prisons for profit getting filled up for minor drug possessions are completely wrong imo. (Just an example, not sure if these prisons are filled with minor drug offenders. It sounds good though .) It seems one can do harm either physically or financially to someone else, such as embezzlers, tax cheats, etc. getting a mere slap on the wrist as punishment while a kid gets caught with a bag of smoke and spends time in jail for it. The war on drugs is a complete waste of money in my opinion. It's a modern day prohibition, and we all know what happened in the prior one involving alcohol.

I used to work in the respiratory therapy department in a major hospital in CA and saw first hand the effects of tobacco on people, and it is still legal. Not using that as an argument, just a fact. I saw people smoke through their stoma when in the hospital, back when smoking was still legal in hospitals. They just had to have their nicotine. I have an acquaintance who has had at least 5 collapsed lungs, beginning emphysema and COPD, and a host of other lung issues due to cigarettes, but can't and won't quit them. He was able to quit smoking pot with ease.

I wouldn't doubt that drug cartels are major opponents and financial contributors to the WoD, big business too.

I get random drug tests at my work, so I don't use. If it was legal, I may or may not. I can legally drink but it's not a major factor in my life, I can take it or leave it. I would imagine that that is how I would handle pot if I were allowed to smoke it. Some can handle alcohol, some can't. I think that also would go for pot too.
okay i was agreeing with you until you said that. then i lol'd

Quote:
think of what they could have done

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post

Quote:
Do what?

If someone is high from smoking pot are they impaired like someone that is drunk? Is there any way to tell how high they are like a drunk can blow into a breathilizer? don't laugh i don't get out much i'm scared that more people may drive around high and put my life or my children life in danger. I realize it happens all the time now but I wonder how many people would start doing it.

Also I'm wondering what some of my husbands friends would do for work if they could buy it at the store?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:47 PM
BamaGrits84

Well I meant illegal drugs.

I need some drugs that help you think straight...or maybe just sleep. Does pot help you sleep...