Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 07-11-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
... some quebecois wouldn't consider themselves canadians ... but than again, a lot of canadians wouldn't consider torontonians canadians .. LOL .. weird ...
I have to say my friends in BC and Alberta are NOT happy with Quebec, usually. Of course, we're all a bunch of conservatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
how dare you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rnc, nice that you have a good sense of humor. Makes teasing you much more fun!!

and I love Canada too

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 07-12-2011, 01:34 PM
rearnakedchoke

haha .. yeah, i can always laugh with the best of em .. ya, alberta and bc are real conservative, so they won't be happy with quebec ... i am also probably in the minority here that likes quebec as part of canada .. i just think they give us a great part of our identity ..
Old 07-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Maglorius

I live out in western canada. Yes not everyone lives in the center of the universe called Toronto. There is quite a big disdain here in Alberta for the province of Quebec. It goes back to the mid 1970's and 1980's with some political decisions that were made, that hurt the west to benefit Quebec. The prime minister at the time (Pierre Trudeau who did not care for people in the west) brought in the NEP (National Energy Program) an equalization payment that crippled the oil and gas industry in the west. There is alot of tax dollars from the rest of Canada that go to Quebec to prop up the province and keep it running. There was a time when Quebec did want to separate from Canada, but I don't think that is as much the case anymore. We recently had an election here and the ruling party in Quebec that was pro separatism was defeated so I think things may change there.

As far as the size of province. It is bigger than the state of Texas.

Spiritually it is very European and very dark.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglorius View Post
I live out in western canada. Yes not everyone lives in the center of the universe called Toronto. There is quite a big disdain here in Alberta for the province of Quebec. It goes back to the mid 1970's and 1980's with some political decisions that were made, that hurt the west to benefit Quebec. The prime minister at the time (Pierre Trudeau who did not care for people in the west) brought in the NEP (National Energy Program) an equalization payment that crippled the oil and gas industry in the west. There is alot of tax dollars from the rest of Canada that go to Quebec to prop up the province and keep it running. There was a time when Quebec did want to separate from Canada, but I don't think that is as much the case anymore. We recently had an election here and the ruling party in Quebec that was pro separatism was defeated so I think things may change there.

That is a very interesting analysis, Maglorius, thanks. That last election said a LOT.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 07-12-2011, 08:24 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:

what??? well, true, not everyone comes from here, but only our opinions count .. LOL .. i kid i kid

the west wanted in, and now they are in, in full effect .. i don't think the libs will get back into power for a while .. there is only one person that can save the liberal party and that is justin trudeau .. he will bring the party back to it's glory days!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
You wait til Quebec Announces it wishes to Join the Euro Currency...just like France

You havent seen Dark until you discover what is happening RIGHT NOW with the Euro Currency in Europe.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Maglorius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
You wait til Quebec Announces it wishes to Join the Euro Currency...just like France

You havent seen Dark until you discover what is happening RIGHT NOW with the Euro Currency in Europe.
A few years ago that would have been a scary thought and maybe reality, but hopefully with the recent election results things may change for the better.