Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 07-08-2011, 04:10 AM
Maldonado136

Default Man dies after Josh Hamilton tosses a foul ball to him

Fan falls out of stands at Rangers game

The Associated Press

ARLINGTON, Texas

The Texas Rangers say a fan died after falling out of the stands while trying to catch a baseball tossed his way during the game.

Rangers president Nolan Ryan said after Thursday night's game that the team was "deeply saddened" to learn that the man "has passed away as a result of this tragic accident."

The Rangers did not identify the man; they said he fell about 20 feet.

The fan fell head-first and landed behind a 14-foot-high wall supporting a video board that shows replays and scores from other games.

The accident happened in the second inning after Oakland's Conor Jackson hit a foul ball that ricocheted into left field. Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton retrieved the ball and tossed it into the stands.

Replays on Oakland's television broadcast show the man reaching for the ball and apparently catching it before tumbling.

Published: Thursday, July 7, 2011 20:10 PDT

http://www.pe.com/ap_news/California..._582659C.shtml

This is nobody's fault but it still sucks!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:03 PM

I just saw this on the morning news. His young son was with him. They said he was conscious and asked that they take care of his son who was still up in the bleachers. He later died.

I agree it was no one's fault, but this must be tearing Josh Hamilton up. I feel for him and the man's family.

Last edited by Bonnie; 07-09-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136 View Post

This is nobody's fault but it still sucks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I just saw this on the morning news. His young son was with him. They said he was conscious and asked that they take care of his son who was still up in the bleachers. He later died at the hospital.

I agree it was no one's fault, but this must be tearing Josh Hamilton up. I feel for him and the man's family.

Yes, I agree with you both, no one is at fault, just a tragic accident. His son must have been terrified.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 PM
CAVEMAN

Indeed a tragedy........
Old 07-09-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Fri Jul 08 06:25pm EDT

Josh Hamilton talks about Shannon Stone’s death By 'Duk

One day after being part of the tragic accident that resulted in Shannon Stone's death, Texas Rangers star Josh Hamilton(notes) returned to work with a heavy heart.

The All-Star left fielder said he watched "in slow motion" as the 39-year-old Stone fell nearly 20 feet after Hamilton routinely tossed him a ball in the left-field stands during the second inning of Thursday's game. Stone later died from his injuries on his way to the hospital and, like the rest of us, Hamilton was left searching for answers to the senseless tragedy.

"I understand there's nothing you can do to change it now," [Hamilton said.]

Hamilton, who has battled drug addiction and is now a born-again Christian, said he would be praying for the Stone family. But talk about a tough thing to cope with: Hamilton said he could hear Stone's 6-year-old son, Cooper, "screaming" for his father after the fall. The father and son duo had reportedly stopped at a sporting goods store on the way to the game to buy Cooper a new glove in hopes of snagging a ball.

Here's Hamilton's recounting of the incident (full transcript):

"The first [foul] ball I got I threw it to the ball girl. [...]

"Behind me I heard someone say 'Hey Hamilton how about the next one?' I turned around and Stone was the first guy I saw sitting there with his son. I gave him a nod and I got the next one and threw it in that direction. [...]

"They were the first ones I saw. When I got it, I found them again and threw it in that direction. If the same situation came up and this hadn't happened, I'd do it again."

Hamilton said he will play in Friday night's game against the Oakland Athletics — "There's nothing I can do by not playing," he said — and that he would continue to throw baseballs to fans.

He did say, however, that the incident will probably cause him to judge each situation a little more closely before he throws a ball into the stands.

"You do it so many times you just don't think about it. At the same time, as a player throwing the ball, you don't know what's going through that person's mind who's going to try and catch the ball. It's something to take a look at."

Before Hamilton spoke with the media, Rangers team president Nolan Ryan said that grief counseling would be made available to all players plus the emergency responders at Rangers Ballpark. Hamilton gave no indication that he would participate in the counseling, but did say that his wife Katie and his three children helped him get through a tough night after he returned home.

"She (Katie) stayed up with me and talked with with me and gave me some encouragement and support. She was there to talk to me if I needed to. The kids stayed up to talk to me for a while. It was just hard for me, hearing the little boy screaming for his daddy after he had fallen, and then being home with my kids, really hit home last night."

Hamilton says he plans on reaching out to the family and helping them when the time is right. He will join the Rangers in wearing black ribbons on their uniforms and observing a moment of silence before Friday night's game. The team has also lowered flags at the ballpark to half mast and set up a memorial account in Shannon Stone's name if you are interested in helping his son and wife.

I'm so glad he has his faith to lean on right now as well as his wife and kids.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:25 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Obviously I feel terrible for the little boy and the man's family, but I really hope this doesn't ruin Hamilton.

The guy has already combated a lot of demons to get where he is and this is the kind of thing that can break a man.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Obviously I feel terrible for the little boy and the man's family, but I really hope this doesn't ruin Hamilton.

The guy has already combated a lot of demons to get where he is and this is the kind of thing that can break a man.
I thought of that to, JB, especially when I read about his previous history, but hopefully he's at a stronger place within himself, and with his faith and a strong support system, he'll be able to handle things and move forward in positive ways.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:56 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

I hope he doesn't stumble over this but, Geez....couldn't he throw better.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 AM

It's definitely no ones fault.
This is really really sad. Poor little boy I cant see how he can ever get over this? It just sucks that the little boy saw his dad fall like this. All of this because of a baseball game!! Now I hate this dumb sport even more.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:14 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
It's definitely no ones fault.
This is really really sad. Poor little boy I cant see how he can ever get over this? It just sucks that the little boy saw his dad fall like this. All of this because of a baseball game!! Now I hate this dumb sport even more.