Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 07-06-2011, 05:55 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default New Gay History Lesson

Landmark gay history bill goes to Calif. governor

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California lawmakers on Tuesday sent the governor a bill that would make the state the first requiring public schools to include the contributions of gays and lesbians in social studies curriculum.

The bill, passed on a party-line vote, adds lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people as well as people with disabilities to the list of groups that schools must include in the lessons. It also would prohibit material that reflects adversely on gays.

Democratic Assemblyman Tom Ammiano of San Francisco says SB48 is crucial because of the bullying that happens to gay students. Republicans called it a well-intentioned but ill-conceived bill and raised concerns that it would indoctrinate children to accept homosexuality.

"This bill will require California schools to present a more accurate and nuanced view of American history in our social science curriculum by recognizing the accomplishments of groups that are not often recognized," said Assembly Speaker John Perez, the first openly gay speaker of the California Assembly.

The bill now goes to Gov. Jerry Brown, a Democrat, who has not said whether he would sign it. Former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed a similar bill in 2006.

Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, a Republican from Twin Peaks, said he was offended as a Christian that the bill was being used to promote a "homosexual agenda" in public schools.

"I think it's one thing to say that we should be tolerant," Donnelly said. "It is something else altogether to say that my children are going to be taught that this lifestyle is good."

California law already requires schools to teach about women, African Americans, Mexican Americans, entrepreneurs, Asian Americans, European Americans, American Indians and labor. The Legislature over the years also has prescribed specific lessons about the Irish potato famine and the Holocaust, among other topics.

SB48 would require, as soon as the 2013-2014 school year, the California Board of Education and local school districts to adopt textbooks and other teaching materials that cover the contributions and roles of sexual minorities.

The legislation leaves it to local school boards to decide how to implement the requirement. It does not specify a grade level for the instruction to begin.

Opponents argued that such instruction would further burden an already crowded curriculum and expose students to a subject that some parents find objectionable. Assemblyman Chris Norby, R-Fullerton, said the bill micromanages the classroom.

"Our founding fathers are turning over in their graves," Donnelly said.
The bill's author, Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, said he hopes Brown will sign his bill. He dismissed arguments that the bill promotes certain sexual behaviors and said it removes censorship in textbooks.

"Bottom line, it's only beneficial to share with students the broad diversity of the human experience and that our democracy protects everyone," he said.

Before the Assembly vote, Perez pointed to a few contributions of gay people, including Friedrich von Steuben, one of George Washington's military advisers who fled Prussia after he was hounded as a homosexual.
Von Steuben is credited with being one of the fathers of the Continental Army and teaching essential military drills.

He also cited Alan Turing, a mathematician who helped crack Nazi Germany's secret codes by creating the "Turing bombe," a forerunner of modern computers.

Some churches and conservative family groups warned the bill will drive more parents to take their children out of public schools.

"This sexual brainwashing bill would mandate that children as young as 6 years old be told falsehoods — that homosexuality is biological, when it isn't, or healthy, when it's not," said Randy Thomasson, president of SaveCalifornia.com.

The Assembly passed the bill on a 49-25 vote.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/landmark-...222837028.html
Old 07-06-2011, 05:56 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

How many active gay threads does this make on the forums now?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Some churches and conservative family groups warned the bill will drive more parents to take their children out of public schools.
Bingo. At least, those who can afford to do so.

CA is pathetic.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 07-06-2011, 07:44 AM

I loved where they say:

Quote:
...to present a more accurate and nuanced view of American history...
Old 07-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Buzzard

Why shouldn't they teach the accomplishments of those in the gay community? Are their accomplishments any less than those of straight people? They don't need to hammer into them that they are/were gay, but I see no problem in acknowledging it. YMMV

Not trying to be confrontational, just wondering if you would be ok with the schools just stating the fact that they were gay. I remember in school being taught accomplishments of christian people and I didn't have a problem with it then, nor do I now.

BTW, the other gay thread has been closed again with so many of my questions left unanswered.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Dethbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
BTW, the other gay thread has been closed again with so many of my questions left unanswered.
All of your ‘questions’ are some variation on “Christians are totally stupid, right guys?” and then you get all hurt and abusive when anyone answers you. Now you’re getting indignant because people are not answering you?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Why shouldn't they teach the accomplishments of those in the gay community? Are their accomplishments any less than those of straight people? They don't need to hammer into them that they are/were gay, but I see no problem in acknowledging it. YMMV

Not trying to be confrontational, just wondering if you would be ok with the schools just stating the fact that they were gay. I remember in school being taught accomplishments of christian people and I didn't have a problem with it then, nor do I now.

If that person openly admitted being gay, then I have no problem with mentioning it as long as that person contributed to history in a significant manner. However, focusing solely on "gay contributions to world history" or making assumptions that certain historical figures "might" have been gay, even though there is no real evidence of it, would not be acceptable IMO.

For example, there is some evidence that Alexander the Great was a homosexual. Since he had such a major contribution to world history, I would see nothing wrong with mentioning that as long as his sexual orientation didn't become the focus of the lesson.

As for your last comment, closing that thread was not my decision; but I understand why it was done. When any thread turns into nothing more than a pissing match between two forums members, then it's time to end the discussion.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
How many active gay threads does this make on the forums now?

well.. there is ghey and there is gay....
Old 07-06-2011, 02:01 PM
CAVEMAN

Why doesn't this surprise me that such a decision is made in California.......:ro lleyes:
Old 07-06-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:

So now GLTG is a religion? In answer to your first question, here's why. Their accomplishments need to be appreciated for the fact alone and not attached to their sexual preferences. Since a huge number of people still do not think sodomy is an acceptable behavior, why bring sex into it at all? Let the accomplishment stand on its own worth.

I'm just guessing here but I would say many, many parents - some who I'd imagine support the GLTG "cause" - would not want sexual preferences included in their children's history lesson.

Why don't we know about Tesla's sex life? Because it's irrelevant.

Just another example of the progressives forcing their agenda upon the public, whether they want it or not.

"See how tolerant and open-minded we are? Of course, don't imagine for a moment that WE are gay/lesbian/trans-gendered...we are merely uber tolerant and want to force everyone else to be as well...

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16