Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Buzzard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
Well I like Dogs and despise Snake's so I'll root for the dog! Alot of Snakes are Dangerous and I don't want me or my Kids getting bit by one. I forget where but I read about some place that uses JRT's to hunt and kill Brown Tree Snakes that sometimes come in on air planes. As for Hunting I used to Rabbit hunt and Rabbit's are good eating! Most Folk's that I know of that hunt also use the meat.
Yeah, the Brown Tree Snakes from Guam are a real problem. Can't let them into Hawaii because they will decimate the native birds and animals there.

I've caught rattlesnakes and copperheads but never have killed them. I release them back into the wild away from the beaten path. I even changed the mind of a co-worker who would kill them until he got to know me and realized they aren't evil as people make them out to be.

A friend of mine and I went down to a quarry lake by our river and found 2 guys that had just killed an Eastern King Snake. They were so proud until we told them that they kept the copperheads at bay. I never understand why people kill snakes.

Why do you despise them?

I've no problem with hunting for food, though I'm not sure I could bring myself to kill them myself. Hypocritical I know because I eat meat. That is something I have to deal with. I try to thank the animal for providing me the food. It's something I should do more of.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-03-2011, 02:00 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Can someone answer me this? Why is this in the politics section.

Good one Rockdawg. I was a Laker fan myself. Bball no longer seems to me to be a team sport, I got out of it years ago. The Lakers are an embarrassment now.
LOL, I was wondering why it was in this section as well.

I prefer college b-ball, they actually look like they are trying to win. And yeah, I would imagine the Lakers lost some fans with their recent shenanigans during the Mavs game...pitiful.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-03-2011, 06:38 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Yeah, the Brown Tree Snakes from Guam are a real problem. Can't let them into Hawaii because they will decimate the native birds and animals there.

I've caught rattlesnakes and copperheads but never have killed them. I release them back into the wild away from the beaten path. I even changed the mind of a co-worker who would kill them until he got to know me and realized they aren't evil as people make them out to be.

A friend of mine and I went down to a quarry lake by our river and found 2 guys that had just killed an Eastern King Snake. They were so proud until we told them that they kept the copperheads at bay. I never understand why people kill snakes.

Why do you despise them?


.
I just don't like them and consider them dangerous around humans! Especially considering how many venomous snakes thier are! The only way Humans need to be around snakes is if
A-Their an expert or
B-Your killing them in a way that has minimum risk.
C-If you have no choice!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Buzzard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
I just don't like them and consider them dangerous around humans! Especially considering how many venomous snakes thier are! The only way Humans need to be around snakes is if
A-Their an expert or
B-Your killing them in a way that has minimum risk.
C-If you have no choice!
Can't we say the same thing about dogs? More people are attacked and bitten by dogs than by snakes. Should we go out and start killing all dogs now because they bite and can harm humans?

I'm not an expert on snakes, but I have and will handle them if the opportunity arises.

Why kill them? Snakes keep rodents and vermin in check. Ignorance is a terrible excuse to mindlessly endorse the killing of a creature. I'm not calling you ignorant, just saying a general ignorance of a species statement.

There aren't that many species of venomous snakes in North America. Many more species of non-venomous snakes.

Last edited by Buzzard; 07-03-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: I like to edit
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-03-2011, 07:24 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Can't we say the same thing about dogs? More people are attacked and bitten by dogs than by snakes. Should we go out and start killing all dogs now because they bite and can harm humans?

I'm not an expert on snakes, but I have and will handle them if the opportunity arises.

Why kill them? Snakes keep rodents and vermin in check. Ignorance is a terrible excuse to mindlessly endorse the killing of a creature. I'm not calling you ignorant, just saying a general ignorance of a species statement.

There aren't that many species of venomous snakes in North America. Many more species of non-venomous snakes.
I love snakes. I see them every time I mow the yard. I stop so they can get away and stay in our yard so they can deal with the mice, scorpions, etc. so I don't have to.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-04-2011, 01:33 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,313
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Sorry that it's taken me so long to respond. Saturday was all about the fights & then yesterday I was at church then napping (I'm turning into flo! ) & doing some laundry, so I didn't get to this until late & my internet cut off before I could finish writing out my thoughts (Man, I can't wait 'til I move into my new house in August & get outta my parents place! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I used to breed and raise rat snakes. They are generally timid creatures who strike only when provoked. I think it is sick to gleefully relish in the torment and death of a creature for entertainment value, which this falls under.
Ah, that sheds a lot of light on the subject now. It makes a lot more sense why you had such an immediate reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Are you saying that the value of a life and whether it should be tormented and intentionally killed resolves on if it is a wild or tame creature? Dog fighting dogs are wild creatures. Bulls that get tortured for entertainment value in bullfights are wild creatures, even though they have been domesticated imo. Is this good stewardship? Is trophy hunting for nothing other than sport good stewardship?
Well, dogs & bulls raised to fight certainly aren't pets, but I also don't think we can call them wild, either. When I say "wild", I mean "saw them on National Geographic". If we a have no influence over them, then they're wild.

Dog fighting & bull fighting are, like you say, domesticated. We are responsible for them & if we force them into fighting, then yes, we are being bad stewards of the responsibility God gave us.

OK, hunting is another one I haven't dissected my thoughts on much (grew up in suburbia, so it hasn't affected me). If the hunting is purely for sport (i.e. you shoot it, chop off the antlers & leave it to rot), then that sounds like poor stewardship to me. However, if I'm only interested in the sport aspect but I then donate the meat to friends, family, food back, etc., then I see no problem there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I don't think my question was disingenuous, but I'm game to have an amicable disagreement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I'm truly interested in your answers, and not to get you in a "gotcha" moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I personally think that the torment, torture and killing of an animal for entertainment purposes is appalling and repulsive. Though I refuse to watch, I root for the bulls.
I agree that, again, if it was purely for entertainment, it's repulsive. That's not the case with this video. The dog was acting as its instincts taught it (there's a possible threat to the pack, it's my duty to protect the pack, I must eliminate the threat). The kid video taped it & put it on the internet because he was proud of his dog. I watched it & was touched to see a dog protecting its young owner (even if he may not of needed protecting, the dog did not know better). I can't speak to why others enjoyed the video, but that was my personal reaction. It was similar to the story of the dog that fought to protect its young master from an attacking cougar (though obviously on a much smaller scale! )
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-04-2011, 06:15 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Being around Dogs ain't near as dangerous as snakes! Plus Dogs provide lots of valuable services to humans! A dog is usually very loyal to thier family.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.