Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 07-03-2011, 12:58 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I'm a person who values life, even the life of a snake. I'm not a sadistic bstard like (EDIT: some /edit) others on here.

How about if someone filmed a video of an animal attacking, killing and gutting your dog, or say the pet of your young daughter if you had one, would you be as gung-ho for that? After all, it's only a dog.

Edit: Do you approve of dog fighting? If not, why not?
Well, if it's a pet then clearly i've formed an emotional tie to it, so No, I wouldn't be gung-ho for it. If it were a dangerous wild dog that could harm me or my family, then no, I wouldn't be upset to see it killed.

I'm sure that if the snake being killed was Chuck boa, then the reaction would be very different. Instead, it was a snake which could have easily bitten a child in the underbrush.

It's disingenuous, Buzz, to try & compare wild to tame.

As for dog fighting, I'm against it, but that's mainly a cultural thing. By that I mean that I've never really examined my motivations for that position, it's just something that I've been raised to think. If you were to push me to make a case off the top of my head, I would probably reference Genesis & God's call for us to be stewards of the earth. There's no need for dogs to fight, so to force them to do so would irresponsible.

Like I said, I haven't thought about it, & that's just a knee-jerk reaction.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm a person who values life, even the life of a snake. I'm not a sadistic bstard like (EDIT: some /edit) others on here.

How about if someone filmed a video of an animal attacking, killing and gutting your dog, or say the pet of your young daughter if you had one, would you be as gung-ho for that? After all, it's only a dog.

No, I don't approve of dog fighting and I definitely don't approve of people who want to see videos of children getting attacked by animals posted on Youtube.

The dog was attacking the snake, thus he was simply doing what comes naturally for a dog. The 9-year-old boy was laughing about it, so he was simply doing what comes naturally for a 9-year-old boy. I see no reason for you to wish harm upon the boy for that.

If the child was ripping the snake apart with his bare hands, then I would understand your point about another Jeffrey Daumer in the making. Because it's well understood that cruelty to animals is simply the first step towards cruelty to human beings. That's not to say that all kids who abuse animals are going to turn into serial killers, but it's a fact that all known serial killers started with animals before moving on to people.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Well, if it's a pet then clearly i've formed an emotional tie to it, so No, I wouldn't be gung-ho for it. If it were a dangerous wild dog that could harm me or my family, then no, I wouldn't be upset to see it killed.

I'm sure that if the snake being killed was Chuck boa, then the reaction would be very different. Instead, it was a snake which could have easily bitten a child in the underbrush.

It's disingenuous, Buzz, to try & compare wild to tame.

As for dog fighting, I'm against it, but that's mainly a cultural thing. By that I mean that I've never really examined my motivations for that position, it's just something that I've been raised to think. If you were to push me to make a case off the top of my head, I would probably reference Genesis & God's call for us to be stewards of the earth. There's no need for dogs to fight, so to force them to do so would irresponsible.

Like I said, I haven't thought about it, & that's just a knee-jerk reaction.
I actually gained some respect for you here VCU, in part because you chose to engage in a respectful manner. I shall afford that to you too.

I used to breed and raise rat snakes. They are generally timid creatures who strike only when provoked. I think it is sick to gleefully relish in the torment and death of a creature for entertainment value, which this falls under.

Are you saying that the value of a life and whether it should be tormented and intentionally killed resolves on if it is a wild or tame creature? Dog fighting dogs are wild creatures. Bulls that get tortured for entertainment value in bullfights are wild creatures, even though they have been domesticated imo. Is this good stewardship? Is trophy hunting for nothing other than sport good stewardship?

I don't think my question was disingenuous, but I'm game to have an amicable disagreement.

I'm truly interested in your answers, and not to get you in a "gotcha" moment.

I personally think that the torment, torture and killing of an animal for entertainment purposes is appalling and repulsive. Though I refuse to watch, I root for the bulls.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:03 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
No, I don't approve of dog fighting and I definitely don't approve of people who want to see videos of children getting attacked by animals posted on Youtube.

The dog was attacking the snake, thus he was simply doing what comes naturally for a dog. The 9-year-old boy was laughing about it, so he was simply doing what comes naturally for a 9-year-old boy. I see no reason for you to wish harm upon the boy for that.

If the child was ripping the snake apart with his bare hands, then I would understand your point about another Jeffrey Daumer in the making. Because it's well understood that cruelty to animals is simply the first step towards cruelty to human beings. That's not to say that all kids who abuse animals are going to turn into serial killers, but it's a fact that all known serial killers started with animals before moving on to people.
I as a child never laughed at an animal killing another. Killing is now a laughing matter, even if it is a lowly animal?

EDIT: I can understand the kid not knowing any better and needing to learn respect for life. A nice bite might make him learn a little quicker.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:11 AM

Quote:
I personally think that the torment, torture and killing of an animal for entertainment purposes is appalling and repulsive. Though I refuse to watch, I root for the bulls.
I do too.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 07-03-2011, 02:18 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I do too.
Cool, we have some common ground. +1 to you and kudos too.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:53 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:

I agree, it would have been cooler to see the snake get the dog.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:56 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
I used to as well, when Michael Jordan was still playing.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:20 AM
Buzzard

Can someone answer me this? Why is this in the politics section.

Good one Rockdawg. I was a Laker fan myself. Bball no longer seems to me to be a team sport, I got out of it years ago. The Lakers are an embarrassment now.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:40 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Well I like Dogs and despise Snake's so I'll root for the dog! Alot of Snakes are Dangerous and I don't want me or my Kids getting bit by one. I forget where but I read about some place that uses JRT's to hunt and kill Brown Tree Snakes that sometimes come in on air planes. As for Hunting I used to Rabbit hunt and Rabbit's are good eating! Most Folk's that I know of that hunt also use the meat.