Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default 'Whitey' Bulger arrest recalls UFC owner's roots

Interesting story I had no clue about:

Quote:
The capture of one of the most wanted U.S. fugitives touches on the origins of the Ultimate Fighting Championship's parent company.

James "Whitey" Bulger was arrested Wednesday near Los Angeles, law enforcement officials said. Bulger, one of the FBI's Ten Most Wanted, is accused of leading Boston mobsters for decades. If at least one allegation is true, his organization also launched a chain of events that led to the formation of UFC owner Zuffa.

Before moving back to Las Vegas in the early 1990s, UFC President Dana White managed a boxing gym in South Boston. But a run-in with the Bulger enterprise convinced him to leave New England, White said.

He's told the story to multiple news outlets, including Men's Fitness:
Quote:
"Whitey Bulger had a bunch of goons working under him and they wanted $2,500. At the time, that might as well have been $25,000 to me. I didn't have it, so I went back to Vegas."
White went on to establish himself as a gym owner and fitness trainer in Las Vegas. He renewed an old friendship with the Fertitta brothers, met jiu-jitsu black belt John Lewis and developed the fascination with grappling and mixed martial arts that led to a career as a manager of MMA fighters.
That eventually led to White and the Ferittas creating Zuffa to buy UFC in 2001.

As recently as last December, White mulled Bulger's fate.

"Who knows, man?" White told Peace Magazine. "I wonder if Whitey's still alive."

South Boston's alleged mob activity spurred White to try his hand in Hollywood. The UFC president in 2008 pitched a TV drama focused on gangsters in South Boston, although the program never got past the pilot stage.

One effort that made it to the big screen was Martin Scorsese's The Departed, which included a Bulger-inspired villain played by Jack Nicholson.

But in the real world, Bulger just might have been the catalyst for today's MMA power structure.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Whitey Bulger, the Boston mob boss who allegedly drove a young Dana White out of "Beantown" and back to Las Vegas, was captured yesterday in Santa Monica, Calif., after 16 years on the lam, according to CBS News. Bulger made the FBI's "10 Most Wanted" list for murder, conspiracy to commit murder, narcotics distribution, extortion and money laundering.