Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 06-22-2011, 07:55 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Default 5 years for recording a police officer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNcDG...eature=related
Old 06-23-2011, 11:37 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Kind o an interesting case: recording without permission is a felony, which he did, so I understand why he's being brought up on charges. However, he also does make a good point that the camera was clearly visible on his helmet, meaning he might have a shot at implied consent. The issue is that it may not have been necessarily obvious whether the camera was on or off.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 PM

Waaaaa, cry me a river. I smell a publicity ho.

He doesn't like the laws in Maryland? Then vote to change them. In the meantime, the police have enough on their hands - they're outgunned and outmanned by the baddies and never know just *who* they are pulling over.

Is there police abuse? Yes. This isn't one of those occasions, IMO. His little stunt didn't work quite as well as he thought it would.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 PM
logrus

Looks to me like the guy did nothing wrong, Id back up my motorcycle if a guy all of a sudden jumped out as well. Especially if there was a gun drawn. The civilian had just as much to worry about as the officer did in this instance.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 PM
County Mike

It's not like he started recording AFTER the cop came at him. I don't think the cop did anything terribly wrong either, but to arrest this guy for the recording is stupid.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Folk's the sky is falling in! I actually agree with Logrus on this one! For one thing I think it should be legal to record the police in the performance of thier duty and another that plain clothes cop should have had a badge showing before he pulled the gun! I heard a phrase once that I like. Who watches the watchman?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:40 PM

I think it should be legal as well, Kentucky. That's why I said change the law because in MD it is NOT legal!

I'm sure every state has many idiotic laws that need to be dumped. Just 2 city laws here, you can't kill a mole with a trap and you can't flip someone off.

Berkeley Junior. Meh.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 06-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Administrator

"Illegally recording police"? There should be no such thing if the police officers are on duty.

The plain clothes officer was concerned for his safety? No way. The idiot was obviously just on a power trip as evidenced by the drawn pistol.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:37 AM
logrus

One night I was walking to my car from my buddies house when an unmarked cop car pulled up and 2 officers in street clothes bum rushed me. At the time I didn't know who they were or why they came after me. All I knew was I needed to stand my ground cause I actually feared for my life. It wasn't until after I side stepped and threw the one cop and punched the other one before they tackled me and proceeded to tell me they were cops. They handcuffed me and thats when they showed their badges which was under their shirts.

They told me they wanted to search my car, so I told them to F off, threatened me with jail and I told them to call the squad car. So they took me down to the station, put me in a holding cell, questioned me for awhile and finally let me go in the A.M.

Sadly I know what this guy was probably thinking the moment this guy got out and drew his gun.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
One night I was walking to my car from my buddies house when an unmarked cop car pulled up and 2 officers in street clothes bum rushed me. At the time I didn't know who they were or why they came after me. All I knew was I needed to stand my ground cause I actually feared for my life. It wasn't until after I side stepped and threw the one cop and punched the other one before they tackled me and proceeded to tell me they were cops. They handcuffed me and thats when they showed their badges which was under their shirts.

They told me they wanted to search my car, so I told them to F off, threatened me with jail and I told them to call the squad car. So they took me down to the station, put me in a holding cell, questioned me for awhile and finally let me go in the A.M.

Sadly I know what this guy was probably thinking the moment this guy got out and drew his gun.
surprised they took you in .. usually they use the "go to jail" threat when they want to scare you into giving them permission to search your car .. i'd a told them to eff off too .. LOL