Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 06-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Default Pre Workout Fuel Advice

Hey gang,
I finally joined an actual Muay Thai fight gym and the workouts are really intense. I keep gassing out and I know a lot of it is because its a new intensity compared to my old class.
What I wanted to ask is: does anyone have a favorite snack they eat before intense conditioning.

What do you eat?

How close to the workout do yo ueat it?

Thanks

[
Old 06-17-2011, 05:05 PM
suntereo

I have no advice, actually am trying to solve the same problem myself. One thing that is obvious though is that food is a much bigger factor than I gave credit for. My best days have been after eating as much clean carbs as possible thru oatmeal, fruits and veggies leading up to an evening work out and then getting all my proteins in the evening right after the workout.

my work schedule makes doing the 6-8 meal a day thing difficult so I eat breakfast on the way in (instant oatmeal)
put measured out healthy snacks on my toolbox and snack often til lunch
lunch, usually bagel and tuna or something like that
switch snacks to a little higher on the sugar side and start drinking electrolytes instead of just water
no food 30 min or so before workout

dinner... you get the idea.

like i said this is new to me and i'm glad you asked the question so some people that really know what they're talking about can weigh in.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

It depends whether I'm on a cut or a bulk. If I'm on a cut, I have about 35g of protein and about 40g of carbs an hour before a workout. If I'm bulking, I'll have 40g of protein and about 80g of carbs an hour before a workout.

My carb of choice for pre-workout is spaghetti or any other type of pasta. I'm kind of boring so I just have the cooked pasta and a whey protein shake. I like this combo because it gives me plenty of energy without feeling full.

Last edited by rockdawg21; 06-17-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
My carb of choice for pre-workout is spaghetti or any other type of pasta. I'm kind of boring so I just have the cooked pasta and a whey protein shake. I like this combo because it gives me plenty of energy without feeling full.
GOOD CALL!!!

Cheese tortellini for me..cold.. about an hour before class.. and blueberries(natural blueberrries) thrown in a basic flavorless protien shake..
Old 06-17-2011, 07:53 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I like eating a whole-wheat bagel with peanut butter on it.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 PM
suntereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I like eating a whole-wheat bagel with peanut butter on it.
with guava jelly or banana slices.... mmmmmmm
Old 06-17-2011, 09:36 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
It depends whether I'm on a cut or a bulk. If I'm on a cut, I have about 35g of protein and about 40g of carbs an hour before a workout. If I'm bulking, I'll have 40g of protein and about 80g of carbs an hour before a workout.

Sounds close to what I do, minus the pasta, Usually its a complex carb an hour out, if it gets near training time I might eat a handful of blueberries or a banana if i feel my body is lacking, usually its not much, and it sustains me for a good 1-2hr workout.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:07 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Sounds close to what I do, minus the pasta, Usually its a complex carb an hour out, if it gets near training time I might eat a handful of blueberries or a banana if i feel my body is lacking, usually its not much, and it sustains me for a good 1-2hr workout.
Another one that I like is a protein shake with 1/2 (cut) - 3/4 (bulk) cup of berries (I prefer blueberries and/or cherries) with 1/2 (c) - 3/4 (b) of dry oats. 1.5 scoops of whey whether I'm cutting/bulking. But I have this 2 hours before my workout starts or else I have problems keeping it down. If I'm pushed for time, 30-60 min, I'll opt for the pasta/whey.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Thanks guys, this is really helpful. I found a lot of articles and it looks like I have some good options.
nothing's worse than running out of gas about halfway through class or getting the burps. LOL

I'll try most of these.

I used to mix dry oatmeal with apple sauce and that seemed to work good too.

[
Old 06-18-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Thanks guys, this is really helpful. I found a lot of articles and it looks like I have some good options.
nothing's worse than running out of gas about halfway through class or getting the burps. LOL

I'll try most of these.

I used to mix dry oatmeal with apple sauce and that seemed to work good too.
It's basically about supplying your body with enough lasting energy:

1. Glycogen which is a sugar store in the muscles which is produced by digesting carbohydrates. They provide instant energy, but you want a steady stream of glycogen, which is why we recommend a complex carb or at least a slower digesting carb.
2. Amino acids which will help prevent catabolism (muscle tissue breakdown for energy) during a strenuous workout which is provided by digesting protein.

The problem most people have is they "drink the Kool-Aid, errr....Gatorade" - ingesting a fast digesting carb such as high fructose corn syrup found in Gatorade. This will cause an insulin spike, and supply the body with energy, but not anything lasting - this is why a lot of people crash during a workout.

There's a lot of good advice on this thread, so you're on the right track to having plenty of energy for a couple hours without the crash. Your dry oatmeal with applesauce is a great idea. My only personal recommendation is that you give your body some amino acids to help prevent catabolism (breakdown of muscle tissue) - 1 to 1.5 scoop(s) of whey protein will be adequate for that.

Good luck and let us know how your energy is in your next workouts!