Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
This is really rough, I wish Brock the best. Here's what Pat Barry had to say about it:
IMHO Patrick Barry has a habit of...exaggerating

I think its a better card without Brock Lesnar...I know that sounds really terrible...but Carwin/JDS is going to be a far better fight...far closer and harder to call I think.

I hope that Lesnar recovers well...but he really is going to have to consider whether to retire from active sports...because this health situation is not fair on the fans, the institution...and if its likely to be excaserbated...its likely to really cause him permanent damage. I doubt it will kill him...I dont think its very often one dies of such ailments unless there are additional complications.

I also feel a little sorry for JDS who put his title shot away to do TUF to fight Brock...and now has to fight Carwin...and THEN Brock in order to get to the title one presumes...lets NOT forget that they ALL have families and livelihoods...and we shouldnt forget the personal sacrifice of those who put themselves out, and train hard...to be inconvinienced at the eleventh hour.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-13-2011, 11:21 PM
kevint13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
but he really is going to have to consider whether to retire from active sports...because this health situation is not fair on the fans, the institution
Sorry Dave, but not fair to the fans or institution? All cards are "subject to change", it comes with the sport. Should Brian Baker, who just battled leukemia, retire as that may come out of remission? Should Mike Swick retire due to his illness? Injuries and illnesses happen in all walks of life. Also, it's not like the UFC had an issue finding someone to replace Brock.

I hope Brock makes a full and speedy recovery. As a fan I look forward to seeing him fight again, but want him to be healthy.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
Sorry Dave, but not fair to the fans or institution? All cards are "subject to change", it comes with the sport. Should Brian Baker, who just battled leukemia, retire as that may come out of remission? Should Mike Swick retire due to his illness? Injuries and illnesses happen in all walks of life. Also, it's not like the UFC had an issue finding someone to replace Brock.

I hope Brock makes a full and speedy recovery. As a fan I look forward to seeing him fight again, but want him to be healthy.
There is a difference between unavoidable and unfair. Yes the cards are subject to change, and ailments cant be helpped...but if its true he nearly died...then I think he absolutely should consider quitting

Regardless of the inevitabilities that come with fighters being sidelined for ill health or injury...its actually not fair for the fans in a number of ways...firstly, if you have spent several hundred dollars, and spent months saving for your trip to see the the performance live...you might find the person you wanted to see is no longer their...thats most unfortunate....it might be an obvious risk, but its also unfair when it happens. The UFC having to change their stuff, after they have spent a fortune in advertizing, and marketting, and are front line for the grief of dissapointed fans, that is not fair for them. The fighters who are noble and fight on short notice, with possibly not enough training (which is just as bad as fighting with an injury, which some fighters will happily do unless constrained officially by medical opinion) is also unfair on them...if they dont win, or get injured whilst achieving victory, it can bugger up their futures.

Its not unexpected...and it cant be helpped...but its also unfair. Thats why IMHO Fighters should try and be careful whilst the train to avoid injury, they should fight if they are not medically restrained...and if they do have a long term illness...they should think carefully about their choice of career...ESPECIALLY if they are either in contention or hold the Championship...because lack of them for extended periods can bugger up the institution for a year a pop...causing interim titles, and unifications so often its a nucesnce
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
There is a difference between unavoidable and unfair. Yes the cards are subject to change, and ailments cant be helpped...but if its true he nearly died...then I think he absolutely should consider quitting

Regardless of the inevitabilities that come with fighters being sidelined for ill health or injury...its actually not fair for the fans in a number of ways...firstly, if you have spent several hundred dollars, and spent months saving for your trip to see the the performance live...you might find the person you wanted to see is no longer their...thats most unfortunate....it might be an obvious risk, but its also unfair when it happens. The UFC having to change their stuff, after they have spent a fortune in advertizing, and marketting, and are front line for the grief of dissapointed fans, that is not fair for them. The fighters who are noble and fight on short notice, with possibly not enough training (which is just as bad as fighting with an injury, which some fighters will happily do unless constrained officially by medical opinion) is also unfair on them...if they dont win, or get injured whilst achieving victory, it can bugger up their futures.

Its not unexpected...and it cant be helpped...but its also unfair. Thats why IMHO Fighters should try and be careful whilst the train to avoid injury, they should fight if they are not medically restrained...and if they do have a long term illness...they should think carefully about their choice of career...ESPECIALLY if they are either in contention or hold the Championship...because lack of them for extended periods can bugger up the institution for a year a pop...causing interim titles, and unifications so often its a nucesnce
I see where your coming from Dave.. However as much as I would hate my money to be wasted in the event I was attending a fight of a favorite fighter of mine. I would rather chalk up the loss than have them severely injured or dead. At the end of the day just like my family and friends I would want whats ultimately best for him.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I see where your coming from Dave.. However as much as I would hate my money to be wasted in the event I was attending a fight of a favorite fighter of mine. I would rather chalk up the loss than have them severely injured or dead. At the end of the day just like my family and friends I would want whats ultimately best for him.
Indeed...which Is why I also suggested people who are in a situation where this can occure reasonably often, and affect them serverely for a long time, should be seriously considering whether it is fair to themselves long term, to be in this career progression.

Let us not forget, that to partake in this sorta sport when you know your body isnt up to it, doesnt just effect your fans, the insitution, your family, your friends...it also effects yourself. One must always treat oneself with respect too...Its not fair to any athlete to have a year in, followed by a year out, followed by a year in ad infinitum...and that includes Brock Lesnar

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.