Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 05-11-2011, 04:35 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Will Dan Henderson break 'The Law' in legal fight for Team Quest name?

From MMAMania.com:

Quote:

See what Jon Jones and Rashad Evans started?

Teammates are fighting teammates again, this time in court as Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion Dan Henderson has filed suit to get control of the "Team Quest" name and logo.

He just has to wrestle it from Matt Lindland.

That's because "The Law" isn't interested in surrendering what he believes is rightfully his, and has filed a countersuit against "Hendo" including a motion to dismiss the alleged "trademark infringement, copyright infringement, and unfair competition."

So who started the Team Quest brand? Was it Dan Henderson and Randy Couture? Or Matt Lindland and Couture along with "The Natural's" former trainer, Robert Follis?

SB Nation's Jonathan Snowden has more:
Quote:
In June 2001, Lindland opened the new Team Quest Fight Club in Gresham, Oregon. He registered Team Quest Fight Club LLC in Oregon and Couture and trainer Robert Follis invested in the new business as co-owners. Henderson declined. According to the counterclaim:
Quote:
In the early years, Follis trained, ran the day-to-day operations of the gym, and managed the bills, Follis' wife coordinated purchases and sales of Team Quest merchandise, and Lindland and Couture provided instruction with Follis while also using their contacts to increase the visibility of the Team Quest brand.

...Lindland, who assisted ("cornered for") Henderson at many of his fights over the years, encouraged him to become an owner in the business. Henderson was not interested. Indeed. he never contributed financially to TQFC and never wanted to devote the time, money, and energy required to run the business and build the brand. The risks and investments were undertaken solely by Lindland and TQFC.
Lindland, now the sole owner of Team Quest, also owns several federally registered trademarks to the Team Quest name and mark. In 2006, Lindland began franchising Team Quest gyms and authorized Henderson to open a Team Quest gym in Temecula, California. Before this, the counterclaim describes Henderson's involvement in Team Quest as "nominal."
So, who gets to keep the Team Quest name and who goes home? It's too early to tell, but these things usually get drawn out for extended periods of time -- and they can get messy.

Go team!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Chris F

Dan's up the creek without a paddle
Old 05-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Miss Foxy

As much as I like Hendo the name Team Quest is not his nor should he be awarded to use it.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:00 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Seems like it.

To be honest I never understood why he opened a TQ to begin with,
he has enough name and celebrity to just call his gym whatever he wants.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:48 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

He oughtta open a team Hendo!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

His name itself is already marketable. He should just build his own camp and call the building, "The Hendosphere".
Old 05-12-2011, 01:55 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
i don't think so ... i mean, we will have to wait and see, but i think he has a good case ... i understand that lindland patented the names and dan knew about it, but i think if he can prove that he came up with the idea, or names and was using them informally prior to him, matt and randy got together, i am sure he can win .. again, i have no clue .. i see one person getting the rights, and the other person getting a lump sum payment as settlement ...