Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 05-11-2011, 01:03 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
Wow.... I'm super weak. I weigh 170 and my 1rm max is 190. The best reps I can get is 165 5x5
yeah dude, you are feeble ... LOL .. i seen you doing those pull-ups and muscle ups, so i am sure you are plenty strong ..... not many people can do that, so i am sure you have plently of strength .. bench is only one aspect of how strong you are (like i need to tell you) ... later bro
Old 05-11-2011, 05:11 PM
sasquatch

Yea, I have alright pulling strength, my record weighted pullup is 93 lbs I want to start doing those again.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Yea, I have alright pulling strength, my record weighted pullup is 93 lbs I want to start doing those again.
Does that mean, you added 93 pounds to your existing body weight and performed a pullup? If so, that's pretty awesome!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 PM
sasquatch

Yea, I added 93 extra pounds, weighted pullups are an awesome exercise, I wish I had a strong bar for them, I'm usually too lazy to hang my rings up just to do them.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Yea, I added 93 extra pounds, weighted pullups are an awesome exercise, I wish I had a strong bar for them, I'm usually too lazy to hang my rings up just to do them.
That's pretty awesome. I haven't tried to see how much weight I can add to myself. I have a vest that's adjustable from 2-40 pounds. I've gone as high as 40, but I usually don't get the rep range that I want. I've been adding 30 so far on this bulk, but I'm starting a cut so I'm sure once I lose the body fat, I'll be able to bump it to 40.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:50 AM
atomdanger

My bodyweight kills me between 20 - 25 reps depending on the day.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:55 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
damn .. that's good .. right now i use a 35 pound plate and do that for 3x5 ... but i want to get up to 3x10 ... will take a while ...
Old 05-13-2011, 03:15 PM
ERStettin

It seemed like everyone was into the bench press when I was growing up in the 70's. It was the thing to do when you worked out. I did it most of my life up until about 1998 and then just quit out of boredom. I was tired of the exercise and started using dumb bells, incline bench and cable flys along with the fly machines in the various gyms I worked out at.

I got 315lbs for one rep on the incline 2 weeks ago. That is my best ever. The incline is much better on my shoulders as well. I have not had any pain since leaving the flat bench and going this route. I did the 1 rep max out of curiosity. I rarely ever leave my routine and always try to finish with a weight I can handle for 4 or more reps in my workouts.

I have done 410 lbs on the flat bench before. That was back in college in 1982. I do 225lbs for 10 reps to start my incline bench workout. That is the most I have done on rep lifting with the bench these days. It would feel weird to go back and flat bench, it has been so long. I have no idea what I could do.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 PM
sasquatch

My best reps with weighted pull ups is 55 lbs 5x5. I just tried to see how many times I could bench my bodyweight today, all I could get was 6 reps at 170.... I could have got one more rep, but I might have strained myself trying so I didn't.... Pretty junk but it's actually a PR for me
Old 05-13-2011, 08:52 PM
ufcfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN View Post
I weigh in around 225 lbs. I have not benched in probably 2 years. I pretty much stick with push ups now. Back when I did bench, I would warm up with 20 reps of 135, then 10 reps of 195, 10 reps of 225, 8 reps of 275. Every once and awhile I would put up 315 3 times.
Same here I don't bench much anymore if I do I use the squat machine(forgot the name of the machine),that way I don't need a spotter.
I mainly use dumbells,pushups or machine weights I just don't have the shoulder strength to trust myself with benching.