Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-09-2011, 08:26 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Zuffa Summit Conference Call Highlights

From FiveOuncesofPain.com:

Quote:

Zuffa CEO Lorenzo Fertitta and UFC President Dana White are in the process of discussing the company’s new policy in relation to doling out additional insurance to fighters, as well as a handful of other topics, on a conference call in conjunction with today’s summit in Las Vegas.

Read below for highlights from the call:
  • Fertitta said the groundwork was laid three years ago after sitting down with White to develop a structure to cover their athletes in a more comprehensive manner
  • Will cover fighters worldwide meaning Mixed Martial Artists living in Asia, South America, Canada, Asia, Australia, etc. will receive the benefits
  • The UFC will pay 100% of the premium covering up to $50,000 per fight per year
  • Starts June 1, 2011
  • White confirmed Edgar/Maynard are out of UFC 130 and cited back/rib injuries for Edgar, a knee for Maynard
  • Fertitta explained part of the difficulty in finally emerging with a proper plan was based on the line of work they’re in
  • Fertitta said the acquisition of Strikeforce had nothing to do with the decision with White adding it would’ve been impossible to develop the coverage in the amount of time between then and now
  • Fertitta made it clear that the insurance will cover “any kind of accident”
  • The policy supplements existing insurance meaning fighters are covered separately when in the ring during a bout
  • Fertitta said he doesn’t feel their decision will influence the legalization of MMA in New York
  • The coverage lasts as long as an athlete is under contract meaning before, between, and after fights
  • Explained no UFC athletes are currently under contract featuring stipulations preventing them from doing other physical activities as is sometimes the case in other professional sports
  • White said Edgar/Maynard are out 6-8 weeks and may be re-matched in August or September depending on how recovery goes
  • A UFC legal representative explained life insurance was also part of the deal meaning money would be available for families in the event of a catastrophic/fatal injury
  • White ended the call by explaining how big this deal was for the lower-tier guys who “aren’t Georges St. Pierre” for example
Some new info about the insurnace, but a lot of it is stuff we already from other sources.

Last edited by VCURamFan; 05-09-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7769
Old 05-09-2011, 09:13 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
From FiveOuncesofPain.com:

Some new info about the insurnace, but a lot of it is stuff we already from other sources.

There's also info about Grey & Frankie in here. It's not a press release about the insurance. It's highlights from a conference call. Yes, the insurance was discussed, but that's not all that was talked about.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:

There's also info about Grey & Frankie in here. It's not a press release about the insurance. It's highlights from a conference call. Yes, the insurance was discussed, but that's not all that was talked about.
You sure have your claws out today.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
You sure have your claws out today.
Do I? My bad.

Work is stupid hectic right now (we're moving at the end of the week, so on top of the normal full load, we've also gotta pack/sort/trash/archive/scan/etc.), so I'm prolly not putting as much effort into being nice as I should. Sorry, y'all!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Do I? My bad.

Work is stupid hectic right now (we're moving at the end of the week, so on top of the normal full load, we've also gotta pack/sort/trash/archive/scan/etc.), so I'm prolly not putting as much effort into being nice as I should. Sorry, y'all!
I have to give you a hard time!! I love it!! Like you boys give me a hard time it's nicely reciprocated!!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:28 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I have to give you a hard time!! I love it!! Like you boys give me a hard time it's nicely reciprocated!!
O, gotcha! See, I'm too stressed to even recognize a joke!

Here's some more highlights from the conference call (these came from MiddleEasy.com). I've tried to edit out the stuff that's already been covered:

Quote:
It doesn't cover if someone gets a cold, flu...etc.
They didn't want there to be any disputes from insurance companies, so they covered every accident.
They wanted a full coverage insurance company since day one of acquiring UFC.
Dana White wanted to announce the new insurance policy when Chuck Liddell retired, but the details weren't quite ironed out.
If a fighter is cut after a fight, all damage sustained in the fight will be covered.
Staph infections will probably not be covered. No restrictions on what fighters can't do (skiing, bungee jumping...etc).