Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 05-05-2011, 03:29 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Buzz you have always been open and honest with me in your post so I see no need to make a mountain of a mole hill if you know what I mean. Where on earth SW got the state to claim MOST Americans are Atheist is beyond me. I know many people do not hate anything except for Biblical Christianity. Tolerance is pretty common for most beliefs but those of people who follow the bible. So unless SW can cite a source that most Americans are Atheist I really think this is a moot point and what has been siad already can sum up nothing more than our personal opinions on the subject

Where did I say most Americans are atheist??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
because the VAST majority of the world believes in "God" in some form or name...
I said many...
Old 05-05-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
I am not going to justify the foolish drivel with a comment. You have no idea what you are talking about. You are just trying to get something started and I do not feel like playing your games.

Not really.. you just don't/can't admit that your as biased as most other people of faith.. no big deal.. sorry you have such a closed mind..

EDIT... Opps... I ment "many".. not most...

Last edited by Spiritwalker; 05-05-2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:49 AM

Well, actually, SW said "many" Americans, Chris, not "most". However, according to statistics, "many" is also far from accurate. Although the statistical information tells us it is not a firm number, it is still undeniably a small number.

Quote:
A 2004 BBC poll showed the number of people in the US who don't believe in a god to be about 9%. A 2008 Gallup poll showed that a smaller 6% of the US population believed that no god or universal spirit exists The 2001 ARIS report found that while 29.5 million U.S. Americans (14.1%) describe themselves as "without religion", only 902,000 (0.4%) positively claim to be atheist, with another 991,000 (0.5%) professing agnosticism. The most recent ARIS report, released March 9, 2009, found in 2008, 34.2 million Americans (15.0%) claim no religion. Of which, 1.6% explicitly describe themselves as atheist or agnostic, double the previous 2001 ARIS survey figure. The highest occurrence of "nones", according to the 2008 ARIS report, reside in Vermont, with 34% surveyed.

The latest statistics show that a lack of religious identity increased in every US state between 1990 and 2008. However less than 2% of the U.S. population describe themselves as atheist.
This is why I find it outrageous that Michael Newdow, who as an atheist represents a miniscule portion of the American population, has filed multiple lawsuits hoping to take any mention of God out of our pledge and currency. And who knows how many atheists, representing that miniscule portion of our population, agree with him? Half? A third?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:50 AM

Oops, I see Spirit already pointed out the "most" vs "many".

That's what I get for trying to type a post while watching American Idol.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Oops, I see Spirit already pointed out the "most" vs "many".

That's what I get for trying to type a post while watching American Idol.
Thanks for watching my back thou...