Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 05-02-2011, 02:11 PM
BamaGrits84

Default SHTF PLAN

Not to sound crazy, but do other families have a plan if the SHTF? My husband started about a year ago buying things here and there to start gathering stuff should we live to see a time where chaos breaks out all over America either caused by force from our government or invasion by another country. And he has decided to arm himself well.

With Bin Laden gone I wonder if it will stir up more trouble. So I started thinking about my husband's plan last night and actually consideered ways we could pack as much as possible as quickly as possible. Is that insane? Should a Christian even be prepared or should we just live knowing we will be taken before it gets too bad?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:24 PM
County Mike

It's always a good idea to be prepared but I wouldn't obsess over it. If you're taking out a second mortgage on the house to build a bomb shelter and stockpile weapons, you might be going overboard. If you're making sure you're well stocked on canned food, water, have a few weapons, ammo and a generator, then I think you're on the right track.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
It's always a good idea to be prepared but I wouldn't obsess over it. If you're taking out a second mortgage on the house to build a bomb shelter and stockpile weapons, you might be going overboard. If you're making sure you're well stocked on canned food, water, have a few weapons, ammo and a generator, then I think you're on the right track.
+1!! Lmao @ bold..
Old 05-02-2011, 06:36 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
No debt involved - I'm more afraid of Dave Ramsey than I an the Chinese at this point.

I have never bought into my husband's surivalist ideas. I figure if it gets that bad I'm gone in the blink of an eye. For some odd reason last night I actual thought "Ok if I take the 3rd seat out of the van I can get most of our clothes, cleaning, and hygine stuff in the van." I actually felt crazy for even thinking about it. I have always been more to keep us prepared for a natural disaster.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:42 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

I used to work with an ex-military guy who buried a bus in his back yard. He prepared it so that his family could survive there for a year or more. That was completed years ago. He may have an underground city by now.

We could never decide if he was severly psychotic or extremely smart.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:43 PM
SupaDupaMod

My family knows how to get out and where to meet outside if a fire breaks out in the house. That's about as far as we have got.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

I'm with Mike on this. Being prepared never hurts anyone. I think it is especially smart if you have children that you are responsible for. I am really glad that I always kept a supply of things when we were hit by Hurricane Ike. Granted we had advanced notice of the storm but as soon as the storm was headed our way there was a run on groceries. Thank goodness I was already prepared. We were without water for 9 days and without electricity for 12. I was able to cook on the grill outside in the normal fashion but also had a cast iron skillet to use for things like eggs. I finally broke down and bought a generator after a few days but it would only run a few appliances at a time. Being prepared doesn't mean that you think the end of the world is coming, it is just being smart in case of natural disastors that you have no control over. Oh and there was no looting in Texas after that hurricane. Everyone has guns and aren't afraid to use them.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 PM
SupaDupaMod

We just went without electricity for 6 days. We had water though. I had an old oil lamp of my granny's, lanterns (battery-so could use in house) gas and charcoal grills and a generator. Only ran the fridge on the generator. We fared well.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
We just went without electricity for 6 days. We had water though. I had an old oil lamp of my granny's, lanterns (battery-so could use in house) gas and charcoal grills and a generator. Only ran the fridge on the generator. We fared well.

See, you're prepared.

~Amy

My son made this for me: