Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-27-2011, 06:04 PM
BamaGrits84
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
If the forecast is showing a strong chance that driving the kids home at 3pm instead of noon will be a lot more dangerous, I don't have a problem with it.
I do get that as being 1 pro. But I think the cons to me are greater. 1 too many kids in our area already go home to no adult supervision. I bet most 8-12 year olds don't get out early and turn on the news and I doubt most of them know what to do in an emergency. it is not like the bus drivers are going to wait for a wave from an adult to make sure the kids won't be home alone. 2, most schools have greater distance and more layers between exterior walls and the hall (which is where kids down here go during tornado warnings) than do most homes, not to mention outside of the city limits there are a lot of mobile homes. and this one I'm not sure about yet but I think there would be a gerater chance of injury if you have kids all over town than if you have them grouped together. i'm still undecided on this since the adverse is the chance of having 100s of kids in the same built could be tragic if a major tornado hit.

if we didn't have so many kids around here with poor supervision on a daily basis I would likely not have this same opinions.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-27-2011, 06:06 PM
BamaGrits84
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsmama View Post
we have hurricane days. they already have about 3 days are tenative off days but if we end up taking a hurricane day the kids have to go those days instead of the being closed.
hurricane days are easily planned though right? you don't get a text while your at work that in 2 hours your kids' school is closing.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-27-2011, 06:06 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
I do get that as being 1 pro. But I think the cons to me are greater. 1 too many kids in our area already go home to no adult supervision. I bet most 8-12 year olds don't get out early and turn on the news and I doubt most of them know what to do in an emergency. it is not like the bus drivers are going to wait for a wave from an adult to make sure the kids won't be home alone. 2, most schools have greater distance and more layers between exterior walls and the hall (which is where kids down here go during tornado warnings) than do most homes, not to mention outside of the city limits there are a lot of mobile homes. and this one I'm not sure about yet but I think there would be a gerater chance of injury if you have kids all over town than if you have them grouped together. i'm still undecided on this since the adverse is the chance of having 100s of kids in the same built could be tragic if a major tornado hit.

if we didn't have so many kids around here with poor supervision on a daily basis I would likely not have this same opinions.
wait til summer time .. if the kids are being supervised during the year, you can bet they aren't being supervised in the summer ...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 PM
BamaGrits84
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
wait til summer time .. if the kids are being supervised during the year, you can bet they aren't being supervised in the summer ...
i know. it is why crime rate always goes up when school is out.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Twinsmama
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
hurricane days are easily planned though right? you don't get a text while your at work that in 2 hours your kids' school is closing.
sorry i must have explained it wrong. the school makes their calander showing an extra day off in designated months. it's usually a thursday before a teacher workday. if a hurricane day is needed than the kids would have to go to school that day instead of it being an off day. that involves a lot of chaos with kids already planning trips and stuff around the extra day off so they avoid it at all costs. so if a hurricane is bearing down on us one night we won't know if there is school til we get up and they list it on the news. (those dang storms sometimes take a quick right and we wouldn't want to mess the schedule up for nothing) if a storm is coming they stay at school until weather conditions worsen and then we get the phone call w/ a message pick up as soon as possible or in 2 hrs. depending on the situation. i bet it's like that everywhere. i know it's hard for some people to get off work but i'd rather my kids be with me than someone else if there really was a reason to worry.

does your county have a rule in the school handbook about the way they handle this situation. i'm going to check mine again just cause i'm curious.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-27-2011, 06:38 PM
BamaGrits84
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsmama View Post
sorry i must have explained it wrong. the school makes their calander showing an extra day off in designated months. it's usually a thursday before a teacher workday. if a hurricane day is needed than the kids would have to go to school that day instead of it being an off day. that involves a lot of chaos with kids already planning trips and stuff around the extra day off so they avoid it at all costs. so if a hurricane is bearing down on us one night we won't know if there is school til we get up and they list it on the news. (those dang storms sometimes take a quick right and we wouldn't want to mess the schedule up for nothing) if a storm is coming they stay at school until weather conditions worsen and then we get the phone call w/ a message pick up as soon as possible or in 2 hrs. depending on the situation. i bet it's like that everywhere. i know it's hard for some people to get off work but i'd rather my kids be with me than someone else if there really was a reason to worry.

does your county have a rule in the school handbook about the way they handle this situation. i'm going to check mine again just cause i'm curious.
i think the policy is the decision is made 100% based on EMA information and no weather information stated on local news can be used (since they get it wrong so much). we have weather days too but i was told that an early release is not considered a day off even if say they get a half a day off this week and a half off in two more weeks. federal funding requires kids have a certain number of school days, but does not specify hours so i wouldn't put it past many school districts in our state to bring kids in for 2 hours then send them home just to get funding, but then again i'm not exactly sure how that all works so i may be far off.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Twinsmama
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
i think the policy is the decision is made 100% based on EMA information and no weather information stated on local news can be used (since they get it wrong so much). we have weather days too but i was told that an early release is not considered a day off even if say they get a half a day off this week and a half off in two more weeks. federal funding requires kids have a certain number of school days, but does not specify hours so i wouldn't put it past many school districts in our state to bring kids in for 2 hours then send them home just to get funding, but then again i'm not exactly sure how that all works so i may be far off.
that must be why they say there is school but then come pick the kids up. i never knew that. i have worse gripes with the schools that is for sure! i gave my kid the wrong sandwich yesterday and they made him eat it before he could have the rest of his lunch...i'm checking out right now to go give them a talking to. my mistake and punish my kid....i think he suffers enough because his moms a blonde (okay brown but i act blonde)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-27-2011, 07:00 PM
BamaGrits84
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsmama View Post
that must be why they say there is school but then come pick the kids up. i never knew that. i have worse gripes with the schools that is for sure! i gave my kid the wrong sandwich yesterday and they made him eat it before he could have the rest of his lunch...i'm checking out right now to go give them a talking to. my mistake and punish my kid....i think he suffers enough because his moms a blonde (okay brown but i act blonde)
i bothers me that some of the people in charge of educating our kids can sometimes seem stupid (not all teachers, but i've seen a few). my son's kindergarten teacher uses a system where they get green yellow orange pink or red apples. yellow =1 point off, orange =2 points and so on. at the beginning of the year parents got a letter that says if your child is on green or yellow praise their good behavior. so if a child is on yellow every other day using their stupid points system a child with good behavior gets a C! i can't figure out how in the heck these teachers came up with a system that would allow a child to end up with negative points either. my son gets in trouble everyday for talking at lunch and every other for talking in the hall and it got him an F in conduct! an F for a 6 year old who talks too much! that is stupid. An F should be for a child who hurts another or breaks class property or just seriously bad behavior. not for talking too much! my talking to ended up with a teacher almost crying in the lobby of a school because she had no way of explaining how their points system was fair despite the fact that 4 teachers worked on it together.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.