Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-25-2011, 11:54 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Jon “Bones” Jones Explains the Injury That Kept Him Out of His Fight With Rashad Evan

From MMAWeekly.com:

Quote:

It was with a lot of disappointment in his voice, but Jon Jones had to make the call to tell the UFC that he was going to have to undergo surgery and would be unavailable to face Rashad Evans on schedule later this year.

Jones is of course coming off his championship win over Maurcio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 128 in March, and was rumored to face Evans later this year with the title on the line. The former training partners had already begun to engage in a bit of social networking war leading up to their fight, but it will all be put on hold, at least for the time being.

As for the UFC light heavyweight champion’s injury, Jones commented on his personal website on Monday, that it’s a longstanding problem that finally gave way and forced him to make a decision to get it fixed.

“This is an injury that’s been recurring since I was a college wrestler, it doesn’t affect my punching or grappling, but I am taking the time and the proper measures to correct this now, so that it doesn’t happen again,” said Jones. “I look forward to getting back to training and to my first title defense. As for Rashad, let’s see what happens with Phil Davis. I will be watching that fight with great interest.”

Jones suffered a torn ligament between his thumb and forefinger, and ultimately it forced him to take the time off to let it heal.

Ironically enough, while Jones and Evans are no longer training partners at Team Greg Jackson, they are under the same umbrella of representation at Authentic Sports Management.

Evans also issued a statement through his team expressing his feelings on facing Phil Davis instead of Jones in August.

“I’m looking forward to fighting Phil Davis August 6 at UFC 133, he’s a strong wrestler and a rising star in the light heavyweight division,” said Evans. “I wish Jon Jones a speedy recovery, he has something that belongs to me and when he’s ready, I’ll be waiting.”

Jones and Evans are both scheduled to appear at this weekend’s UFC Fan Expo in Toronto, and will continue with scheduled plans as they stand.

Jones is expected to have surgery on the torn ligament in his thumb, and then work on a rehab program to get him back in the Octagon.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:36 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

A brief excerpt from MMATorch.com:

Quote:
Penick's Analysis: Though it might not be an extremely serious injury, it is the type of thing that can be easily tweaked and can be made more serious if not taken care of earlier. Seeing as he's only 23-years-old, taking a little extra time off to make sure this injury heals correctly is the right move, even if it takes away an immediate big money fight and puts that matchup in danger. The smart thing for him is to take care of his body first, and then get back to defending that title so as to hopefully not allow an injury to hamper his first title defense.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:58 AM

He absolutely needs to get it repaired and rehab'd properly. Definitely a smart move.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 PM

“This is an injury that’s been recurring since I was a college wrestler, it doesn’t affect my punching or grappling"

I just think its kind of convenient that now that he had to fight his "Best Friend" he decides to fix a problem that doesn't bother him or affect his ability to perform in the octagon.

Just my thought....
Old 04-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post

“This is an injury that’s been recurring since I was a college wrestler, it doesn’t affect my punching or grappling"

I just think its kind of convenient that now that he had to fight his "Best Friend" he decides to fix a problem that doesn't bother him or affect his ability to perform in the octagon.

Just my thought....
I agree.. If I am wrong I hope for a quick recovery. This saga of Evans and Jones just turned me off to both of them not that I really ever cared, but they are looking like weak hormonal sauce..
Old 04-26-2011, 03:48 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post

Just my thought....
his management talked him into it .. of course, the decision in the end is his own, but when you have people around you telling you to get it fixed, the doctors, ufc doctors saying it can only get worse, than he must have felt the pressure to get it fixed ... i think he should have waited ... rashad is gonna use davis as a tough warm up, knock off some ring rust and be ready for a 5 round war ... so it may backfire on jones ... i doubt it, as i have jones winnning anytime
Old 04-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
his management talked him into it .. of course, the decision in the end is his own, but when you have people around you telling you to get it fixed, the doctors, ufc doctors saying it can only get worse, than he must have felt the pressure to get it fixed ... i think he should have waited ... rashad is gonna use davis as a tough warm up, knock off some ring rust and be ready for a 5 round war ... so it may backfire on jones ... i doubt it, as i have jones winnning anytime
I hope Phil pulls off a win.. lol. That would be great!!