Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 04-20-2011, 03:26 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
It was fine to put James against Randy, Why not Diaz vs Martzi lol.

Problem is you have to fight the right guy, otherwise the cry babies will cry. Ohhh he was too old, ohhh, hes still a young guy in boxing, why not put him against someone more skilled.

JB, considering we need a guy neither great nor washed up, who would be the best suited match in the 160-170 area ? Jermain Taylor ??
I said the same thing in the other thread about Diaz fighting Lacy.

As a sideshow, I will watch it, but in terms of the sport it is ridiculous, just like Toney vs Couture. At least with Toney vs Couture, we knew that James was delusional and never trains for his fights so it was very likely to end the way it did. With Diaz, you never know, this guy could come out and light up the stage and possibly shake things up. He's a tough guy and he is in top physical shape.

I don't think he NEEDS to fight a big name, he just WANTS a quick payday.

At least when Anderson Silva was lobbying to fight Roy Jones he said it was because boxing was a huge passion of his and he always loved Roy and it would be a dream come true to fight him. Anderson even tries to act like Roy in his MMA fights, and I've been saying that for years. Although, even with Silva saying that, I still think it would be a sideshow if it ever happened and not anything that should amount to Silva getting propelled into title contender status as a pro boxer.

Honestly, I don't know who to say he should fight besides just saying he should start lower on the totem pole. I think Taylor would embarrass Diaz like any other veteran would. At least Lacy isn't such a HUGE name that it would make Diaz look like a title contender if he were to win, but it's still enough to propel him into fights he probably wouldn't really deserve in terms of accomplishments in boxing. So either way, some up and comers get side-stepped simply because of Diaz's success in MMA. It's not the worst thing that will have happened in either of the sports, but still lame nonetheless.

Last edited by J.B.; 04-20-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
GG's of today? Probably not, but maybe.

GG's who are now professional dinosaurs? Probably not, but maybe.

A legit pro like Martinez who is one of the top pound for pound boxers in the world? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Don't get me wrong, I give Nick a chance to hang in a fight with just about anybody on toughness alone, but that don't mean I don't think he would end up getting outclassed by somebody with the skills and experience of a Sergio Martinez. That would just be a bludgeoning IMO.
A true well trained pure boxer will beat him IMO. Anything is possible sure but do not see any pro losing to him or and good Amateur for that matter.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
A true well trained pure boxer will beat him IMO. Anything is possible sure but do not see any pro losing to him or and good Amateur for that matter.
I totally agree, but I guess a part of me wants to give Nick the benefit of the doubt to stick in there and make it a fight based on toughness alone.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Hope he starts slow and works his way up. Boxing is far different than MMA. Martinez would dispatch of him easily.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I totally agree, but I guess a part of me wants to give Nick the benefit of the doubt to stick in there and make it a fight based on toughness alone.
heart and toughness wins close fights but better technique and experience in a discipline will typically alwyas win out in Boxing. If nothing else they can point punch him to death.