Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-18-2011, 08:52 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Brian Stann on Facing Santiago Instead of Silva: 'I Got a Better Fight'

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Brian Stann said he wanted to fight Wanderlei Silva after his win over Chris Leben at UFC 125.

The UFC liked that idea and booked the fight for UFC 130 in May.

One problem: Silva didn't want to take the fight.

Whether it was because Silva had still not healed up from knee surgery or didn't want to fight Stann because, as he tweeted, "I respect so much ... army guys," remains unclear. What we do know is Stann (10-3) is now fighting Jorge Santiago (23-8) at UFC 130, while Silva got his original wish of fighting Leben at UFC 132.

"I buy his reason because I don't see Wanderlei ever having to lie to anybody about anything," Stann said when asked on Monday's episode of The MMA Hour if he believed Silva didn't want to fight simply because he didn't want to get booed. "He's got nothing to prove for the rest of his life, as far as I'm concerned, especially in this sport.

" ... For every one Brian Stann fan, there's about 50 Wanderlei Silva fans across the world. He's an international superstar. There's no way he would have gotten booed coming into that fight. But things happen. As fighters get older and they've accomplished more, who knows what's going through his head or what he's got going on in his personal life right now. I don't know those things.

"Any time that I have actually met Wanderlei, which is very few, he's just been an amazing guy. He's been a champion. So I certainly didn't take it as an insult or anything of the sort. I just took it as it wasn't the right time or the place, and I knew I was kind of even rolling the dice to get that fight anyways."

And while Stann was initially disappointed he didn't get chance to fight the legend Silva, he is thrilled with the way things turned out.

"At the end of the day, I got a better fight. I love Wanderlei, he's the guy that I said since the WEC that would be my dream fight just because I always loved watching him fight, but let's face it, Jorge Santiago is ranked in the top 10 for the last two years. This is a better fight for me."
Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 PM
rearnakedchoke

brian stann is a class act .. but i think he missed a couple of zeroes on the number of wanderlei's fans ...
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I hope Stann wins!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
I hope Stann wins!
I do to he is a really cool dude very respectful and deserving of a win.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:58 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I do to he is a really cool dude very respectful and deserving of a win.
And for me at least its hard to root against a Genuine real American war Hero!